Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

2018 Crosstrek

47K views 93 replies 20 participants last post by  hambone17 
#1 ·
Since I'm a part of the Subaru Ambassador program, we get emails/updates/early announcements etc.

Just got an email this morning about the 2018 Crosstrek. Kinda bugged me a little bit. I screen shot the context of it.

Not sure why they said "with its new... X X". All the specs they listed (ground clearance, wheelbase, leg room, etc) are the same listed for at least the 2016/7 model. Seemed a bit misleading to myself personally.

Next Tues (the 7th) is the unveiling, here's a link for it: SUBARU XV, 87th Geneva International Motor Show | SUBARU

Thoughts/comments?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Yea the 2017 Impreza is their new base platform for just about everything going forth correct?

I know the body will be a bit different looking, but spec wise, it seems it will be the same (at least with those given).

Im still excited to see what all it will bring for the new model.
Yes, the 5th generation Subaru Impreza is on the Subaru Global Platform that is planned to underpin all future generation Subaru models.

I'm sure body dimensions, clearances, interior volumes should stay "about" the same. If only to keep it within the "category" of a sub-compact SUV. Start changing things too much and classification might change, and then you are competing with yourself (Forester). Early indications are that the new platform (in the Impreza) rides better, handles better and is quieter. Crosstrekking it up might affect some of these attributes, but should make for a better overall package. If we had the ability to wait, I certainly might have based on the positives so far.
This is crucial. If Subaru upsize it too much and actually have it compete against the Forester, they'll be imitating the formulas that failed the American car brands decades ago.

Ill be waiting to see whats what. Ive been planning on buying a 2017 later this year.. I might be able to get a better deal on one with the 18s coming out OR, if the 18s are that much better.. I might get one.
I recommend getting the 2017 model year XV Crosstrek. Waiting for the 2018 model year means you'll be the unpaid guinea pig to find all the faults that the couldn't find.

Pick between the last model year of an older generation platform, or the first model year of a new generation platform with issues that have yet to be discovered.

Also, the aftermarket has already many parts for the 4th generation Subaru Impreza/2nd generation Subaru XV.

I for one, welcome our new Subaru overlords.
This :)

#4 ·
I'm sure body dimensions, clearances, interior volumes should stay "about" the same. If only to keep it within the "category" of a sub-compact SUV. Start changing things too much and classification might change, and then you are competing with yourself (Forester). Early indications are that the new platform (in the Impreza) rides better, handles better and is quieter. Crosstrekking it up might affect some of these attributes, but should make for a better overall package. If we had the ability to wait, I certainly might have based on the positives so far.

#76 ·
Seriously... do not get a 17 instead of an 18 unless you just have to... it is hands down a totally new car! I went from 14 to 16 and now to 18, its just amazing compared to those models..., I got a 17 Crosstrek as a loaner last year and noticed the suspension revisions, but on this whole new platform it is just another story all together, EVERYTHING has been refined tremendously.

#8 ·
Yea that usually how the first gen goes, more issues than normal. But im wondering if, since it will be based on a similar platform/design, a lot of the bugs/flaws will have already been worked out since the Impreza has been around for a year.

I dont keep tabs on the Impreza, does anyone know of any major issues they had with the 17s? Or maybe a lot of smaller nagging issues? Or just a pretty solid platform?

#15 ·
I read there are problems with the head unit in the new Impreza. But then again during my research it seems as if most Subaru's have issues with them. The radio in my wife's legacy would freeze up. I'm wondering if if it is actually a CANBUS issue and not the actual head unit.

#16 ·
I read there are problems with the head unit in the new Impreza. But then again during my research it seems as if most Subaru's have issues with them. The radio in my wife's legacy would freeze up. I'm wondering if if it is actually a CANBUS issue and not the actual head unit.
Considering most vehicles have the headunit use information from the rest of the vehicle, that doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility.

#18 ·
Only issues I can see so far with my head unit (2017 XTrek) is on really cold days the screen is a bit slow. But so is my phone and my Garmin Nav unit... and most electronic touch screens. When it was 80* in Asheville, screen was quick...er. But this past weekend when it was 18*, it was a bit sluggish.

#20 · (Edited)
Fuji Heavy Industries press release (download only)
http://www.fhi.co.jp/press/file/uploads/news-en/en2017_0307_1.pdf

Subaru Global 2017 87th Geneva International Motor Show website featuring the new Subaru XV
SUBARU XV, 87th Geneva International Motor Show | SUBARU

Subaru Global YouTube video of world premiere
SUBARU XV World Premiere movie “Bright Moments”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iC6zfSyc_s
https://youtu.be/4iC6zfSyc_s
YouTube video code: 4iC6zfSyc_s
YouTube channel code: UCoyrcdib1HkM_TWNVMtubVA
YouTube user code: SubaruGlobalTV
Video description:
Published on Mar 7, 2017
We are pleased to announce the release of the World Premier movie for the all-new “SUBARU XV” that made its premiere at the Geveva Motor Show. The all-new SUBARU XV reaches out to those who always welcome more fun in their daily lives.
The All-New SUBARU XV : 87th Geneva International Motor Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG912ZTQaps
https://youtu.be/AG912ZTQaps
YouTube video code: AG912ZTQaps
YouTube channel code: UCoyrcdib1HkM_TWNVMtubVA
YouTube user code: SubaruGlobalTV
Video description:
Published on Mar 7, 2017
The All-New SUBARU XV : 87th Geneva International Motor Show
Subaru of America press release
Subaru U.S. Media Center

It seems the engine is outputting 154 HP, a 2 HP bump compared to the Subaru Impreza's FB20 DI engine. Let's hope this means an XV/Crosstrek-specific engine tune to improve low-end torque for off-road use and towing duties!

I'm praying for a manual transmission to be available... But at the very least, I surely hope X-MODE will be standard across all markets!

#22 ·
Two things... Liking the new location for the seat heating switches.

Don't like the e-brake switch. No more handbrake turns..:(
I didn't catch that... but I hope they follow the same trend as the 5th generation Impreza.

A quick look at the interior gallery for the U.S.-spec Impreza means we may likely get the traditional manually-actuated parking brake lever:
2017 Subaru Impreza - Photos & Videos | Subaru

#23 ·
Here is the new 2018 spec's from Geneva vs the 2017 spec's.
2018 - 175.8"L x 79.9"W x 63.6"H (w/rack) VS 2017 - 175.2 x 70.1 x 63.6. So about 1/2" longer and 3/4" wider. Same height. Same ground clearance.

Wheelbase will be about an 1-1/4" longer in 2018 (104.9 vs 103.7). Horsepower up by 8 to 156.

AND - at least at the Geneva release (New York I believe is next month) NO HANDBRAKE!!

#25 ·
A quick glance at the tires shows the next stock tire is a Bridgestone Dueler H/P something...

It could be one of two tires, or maybe a custom-made Dueler tire like Yokohama did with the Geolandar G95A specifically made for the 3rd generation Subaru Forester (SH chassis) and 2nd generation Subaru XV (GP chassis) available in only one tire size, being P225/55R17.

Potential candidates:

#30 ·
All in all it will be an improvement on an already really great vehicle. That said, being a red blooded American... I need More Power. I'm praying for a WRX wagon return and if not, I guess I'll be keeping the XV long-term and picking up a used Camaro SS.

#33 ·
Ive been wondering what the tow package is going to look like, since they got rid of the rear bumper plug.
As you may have seen on other models, that "plug" is actually intended for a rear fog light that other markets get (that includes the 4th gen Impreza and 4th gen WRX/WRX STI). Subaru never intended it for use as a hitch receiver. The hitch receiver using the rear fog lamp is an aftermarket hitch by Torklift.

#37 ·
The real irony in this whole "Mr. worldwide chassis" is that if your Subaru you bought is slow and you want to make it fast, it should be easy to swap in a faster engine right? Meh. Instead, it'll make you say "well then why didn't I just buy the same chassis with that faster engine to begin with?!?!?" So if you have the lightest chassis they offer, but the slowest engine, it would actually make more sense to purchase the faster engined "Subaru" and just take off weight using the parts from "different" "Subaru" cars. I use the "" because they won't be any different anymore. Same chassis, different crap attached.

#38 ·
The Subaru compact platform used for our current 2nd generation XV has always shared a platform with the 4th gen WRX/WRX STI and Forester XT. It's just never plug-and-play, because of the complex electronics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.