2018 Crosstrek - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 05 STi
Default 2018 Crosstrek

Since I'm a part of the Subaru Ambassador program, we get emails/updates/early announcements etc.

Just got an email this morning about the 2018 Crosstrek. Kinda bugged me a little bit. I screen shot the context of it.

Not sure why they said "with its new... X X". All the specs they listed (ground clearance, wheelbase, leg room, etc) are the same listed for at least the 2016/7 model. Seemed a bit misleading to myself personally.

Next Tues (the 7th) is the unveiling, here's a link for it: SUBARU XV, 87th Geneva International Motor Show | SUBARU

Thoughts/comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018.JPG (78.9 KB, 46 views)

stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

It is based on the new Impreza platform which is totally new. It will also have Apple Car Play- which should be enough for some people to wait.
RayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #3

Yea the 2017 Impreza is their new base platform for just about everything going forth correct?

I know the body will be a bit different looking, but spec wise, it seems it will be the same (at least with those given).

Im still excited to see what all it will bring for the new model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #4

I'm sure body dimensions, clearances, interior volumes should stay "about" the same. If only to keep it within the "category" of a sub-compact SUV. Start changing things too much and classification might change, and then you are competing with yourself (Forester). Early indications are that the new platform (in the Impreza) rides better, handles better and is quieter. Crosstrekking it up might affect some of these attributes, but should make for a better overall package. If we had the ability to wait, I certainly might have based on the positives so far.
RayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #5

Ill be waiting to see whats what. Ive been planning on buying a 2017 later this year.. I might be able to get a better deal on one with the 18s coming out OR, if the 18s are that much better.. I might get one.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

I for one, welcome our new Subaru overlords.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
Yea the 2017 Impreza is their new base platform for just about everything going forth correct?

I know the body will be a bit different looking, but spec wise, it seems it will be the same (at least with those given).

Im still excited to see what all it will bring for the new model.
Yes, the 5th generation Subaru Impreza is on the Subaru Global Platform that is planned to underpin all future generation Subaru models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayG View Post
I'm sure body dimensions, clearances, interior volumes should stay "about" the same. If only to keep it within the "category" of a sub-compact SUV. Start changing things too much and classification might change, and then you are competing with yourself (Forester). Early indications are that the new platform (in the Impreza) rides better, handles better and is quieter. Crosstrekking it up might affect some of these attributes, but should make for a better overall package. If we had the ability to wait, I certainly might have based on the positives so far.
This is crucial. If Subaru upsize it too much and actually have it compete against the Forester, they'll be imitating the formulas that failed the American car brands decades ago.

Quote:
Ill be waiting to see whats what. Ive been planning on buying a 2017 later this year.. I might be able to get a better deal on one with the 18s coming out OR, if the 18s are that much better.. I might get one.
I recommend getting the 2017 model year XV Crosstrek. Waiting for the 2018 model year means you'll be the unpaid guinea pig to find all the faults that the couldn't find.

Pick between the last model year of an older generation platform, or the first model year of a new generation platform with issues that have yet to be discovered.

Also, the aftermarket has already many parts for the 4th generation Subaru Impreza/2nd generation Subaru XV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
I for one, welcome our new Subaru overlords.
This
Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #8

Yea that usually how the first gen goes, more issues than normal. But im wondering if, since it will be based on a similar platform/design, a lot of the bugs/flaws will have already been worked out since the Impreza has been around for a year.

I dont keep tabs on the Impreza, does anyone know of any major issues they had with the 17s? Or maybe a lot of smaller nagging issues? Or just a pretty solid platform?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #9
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Yea that usually how the first gen goes, more issues than normal. But im wondering if, since it will be based on a similar platform/design, a lot of the bugs/flaws will have already been worked out since the Impreza has been around for a year.

I dont keep tabs on the Impreza, does anyone know of any major issues they had with the 17s? Or maybe a lot of smaller nagging issues? Or just a pretty solid platform?
I heard from a local Subaru salesperson that there is a stop-sale on the 2017 Subaru Impreza. Something about an electrical issue in the headunit.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #10

Hmm interesting