2018 limited 8 multimedia screen freeze - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

Angry 2018 limited 8 multimedia screen freeze

My 8 multimedia screen froze on startup with radio blaring on starlink screen. It was so loud car was undriveable. All screen controls were unresponsive, even radio power on/off knob. Shuting and restarting car did not fix. Leaving car in garage overnight did.

Any suggestions to fix if it happens again? (I did read shorting the battery may work, but this seems like a poor solution)

teminior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

There have been a lot of issues with the new 2018 Headunits.

The 2017 Impreza got them first and had issues as well.

You should check your settings and see what software version the headunit is running. Then call the dealer and ask if there is an update available. I had mine (premium, smaller screen) updated and it fixed a lot of issues I was having with the stereo.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #3

Thanks, but I updated to the latest software and added a driver profile before I brought the new car home. I’m guessing all Harmon Kardon head units have this problem but could show up in different ways. I talked to a dealer today and he was aware of it, no TSBs, and he does not know any solution to it. I hope they can fix it by a software update.
teminior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #4

My Vehicle: '16 Crosstrek premium

Do not ever short the battery as that could cause it to blow up in your face.The solution is to disconnect the battery then reconnect it.

I know it's a totally different system but that's what I had to do with my old '02 Impreza.I shut the engine off and pulled out the key and the radio kept on playing.None of the controls responded and turning the engine on then back off didn't fix it.So I said to myself "I'll fix you" and I pulled the fuse to the radio and IT KEPT ON PLAYING.That car was possessed.Only disconnecting the battery would shut it off.
MarioAndretti is offline   Reply With Quote