Can you disable Nav and use Android Auto? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Default Can you disable Nav and use Android Auto?

Hi there, I just purchased a 2018 Crosstrek after being a long-time Honda owner for my whole life. Love this vehicle in the snow!!

For such a state of the art vehicle, I'm literally blown away by the Navigation System. Not only do I have to enter in a full address rather than just speak a business name, I have to be stopped to do this. Then to top it all off, it gives me directions to places in Quebec Canada, ,4500 kms away.

My question is, there must be a way to extract the unit, throw it in the garbage and use the default Android Auto app that is greyed out in the Apps screen? Anyone know if this is possible? I would have downgraded a model had I've know this early. The Android App is so Awesome. I've heard that in 2019 that Subaru isn't install their Nav system anyone.

Thanks,
Ryan

puddleracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

I thought that all you needed to do was plug an android based phone into the USB. I’m assuming that you need to instal google maps but most people already have it.
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:17 AM   #3

What is greyed out? If it's the Android Auto app on your head unit it's because you have to plug your android device into the USB port. It doesn't work wirelessly (yet).
jp_lepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I had no idea that the phone had to be plugged in. The salesman said that it wasn't an option if you had Navigation. I'll try it out.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #5

Wow... that is the worst salesman ever. One of the big advantage of the '18 crosstrek is that it has android auto/apple car play compared to the HR-V, Rogue-Sport, CH-R etc... I would make sure to give feedback to the manager at the dealership. The pre-delivery walkaround explanation should give you all the information you need like this.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #6

I've tried it again with the phone plugged in but still greyed-out. I will take to the dealer to see if they can figure it out. Thanks,
Old 03-23-2018, 11:43 PM   #7

Make sure you try and update the head unit with the wifi connection from your house. It seems to make a big difference with auto/car play functionality. I'm not sure if links will work for me but search for "crosstrek head unit update" in youtube and Rick Hutton puts a good tutorial of how to do it.
link here:

Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:09 AM   #8

since we're talking about navi and android phones. Does anyone know if the waze app works with the android auto?

The Crosstrek is my wife's, she has an iphone. we installed apple car play (or whatever it's called), tried to bet waze to work and it wouldn't. Called the dealer's "tech guy" and he gave us some bs. After a 4 min google search I found out that apple doesn't allow 3rd party apps to be used with car play. We downloaded the apple maps app and that does work, although not as good as waze.
dmarcus48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Limited w/ Eyesight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcus48 View Post
since we're talking about navi and android phones. Does anyone know if the waze app works with the android auto?

The Crosstrek is my wife's, she has an iphone. we installed apple car play (or whatever it's called), tried to bet waze to work and it wouldn't. Called the dealer's "tech guy" and he gave us some bs. After a 4 min google search I found out that apple doesn't allow 3rd party apps to be used with car play. We downloaded the apple maps app and that does work, although not as good as waze.
Waze works with Android Auto. Yet another reason that Android Auto is better than CarPlay.
Maven454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #10

Waze works on my 2018 crosstrek premium with android auto, And still use amazon music through blue tooth at same time.
derek_ohio is offline   Reply With Quote