Long term testing - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2015 Silk Blue XV Crosstrek Premium, MT
Default Long term testing

I really don't like the idea of using the term 'Long term testing' but noting the mileage I rack up in such a short amount of time it kinda fits.
After 9 weeks and 36,000 miles, my warranty has officially expired. To date I have had no issues what so ever. I was concerned about the reviews that the 2.0 was a little underpowered. I felt that with the CVT it was adequate but with my 5 speed, I never feel like I'm missing out. I've had cars that were slightly more refined, slightly quieter and had more gadgets but I've never had one that I felt more safe in. This little car gives me the confidence to drive in any kind of weather and off road without feeling like it's going to come apart.
This car is alot of fun and I will keep the long term (mileage) results coming in as I hope everyone on this forum does.
Oh yeah, Happy solstice and Merry Christmas!

Wolverine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 Desert Khaki CrossTrek Limited

Glad to see you found this forum also. It's good to hear that you're happy with the CrossTrek so far end no problems. Keep us informed. Have a great Christmas.
Pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #3

Merry Christmas! Geez, at the rate you're driving, you'll have over 200,000 miles in one year. I'll bet that you'll easily be able to get over 400,000 miles with proper maintenance. Of course that only covers about two years of ownership....LOL!
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Merry Christmas! Geez, at the rate you're driving, you'll have over 200,000 miles in one year. I'll bet that you'll easily be able to get over 400,000 miles with proper maintenance. Of course that only covers about two years of ownership....LOL!
Considering I was able to get over 700k out of a 2011 Ford Fiesta with proper maintenance (and still running every day), I would expect a Subaru to easily surpass that! Time will tell and I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

Well, I am officially out of the powertrain warranty now. In just under 4 month's I have past the 60k mark and still no issues. I have stayed with the 6k oil change interval until my last oil change. Since I'm obviously concerned with operating costs, oil change intervals are of interest. The last oil change I switched to Mobil extended service oil and filter then pushed it to 8k and sent a sample for analysis. The results were excellent and the recommendation is that next oil change be done at 10k miles. At that point I will send another sample. I'll post the results when I get them.
Now, keep in mind that I am currently adding 4k miles a week to this engine so being able to add an extra week or two between changes is significant both time wise and financially. For a 'normal' driver (I never claimed to be one), the difference of one or two oil changes a year really shouldn't be an issue.
As a note to Subaru, I am still glad I got the metalic blue but, it would be nice to have a black interior as an option instead of just ivory. I will say the ivory is much tougher than it looks and it stays much cleaner than expected. I carry lots of cargo every night.
As far as the factory tires go, they put up a good fight but gave up the ghost at 55k. I chose Hankook's as a replacement because of the tread design, 100k mileage warranty and cost. I drive on a lot of black ice this time of year.
Still enjoying the c$%p out of this car! Hope you are too!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2015 Desert Khaki CrossTrek Limited

Thanks for the update Wolverine 12. How far do you plan to push the oil change intervals. With the type driving you do I would think 15,000 mile intervals would be possible without oil degradation. I find this thread extremely interesting and informative. Thanks do much!
Pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor passum View Post
Thanks for the update Wolverine 12. How far do you plan to push the oil change intervals. With the type driving you do I would think 15,000 mile intervals would be possible without oil degradation. I find this thread extremely interesting and informative. Thanks do much!
I'm going to send another sample at 10k then push to 12k for the following change. If that analysis comes back ok then that would allow me a 3.week/12k change interval which would work out very well for me. Not to mention reducing the amount of waste oil by half and saving almost $800 a year. I'll follow up about every 6 months with an oil analysis to make sure it's still doing the job.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #8

Default 70k and still ok

Love the Hankook Optima's. A little quieter ride, less expenseive and a much better grip on slick roads. Now it feels like a Subaru. It remains to be seen how they wear but I will keep you posted.Here is the link to the latest oil change results. Still running strong, no issues to date and loving it!
http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/...html#post31735
Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #9

Default It's wabbit season !

Ok, I'm a patient man and an animal lover, however, I have had it with the black tailed jackrabbit. We grow them big here in the southwest, they grow to the size of a small cocker spaniel here. I have incurred more damage from this denizen of the night than from any other creature. I have bumper mounted deer alerts that work great with deer, coyotes, pronghorn antelope and even the little desert fox. Apparently rabbits, skunk and yes, the black tailed jackrabbit aren't so bright. The last incident happened 2 weeks ago when I hit a jackrabbit doing 70mph at 2am. Fortunately it just caused a 6" long Crack at the very base of the bumper, popped the bumper out from the headlight, tore up the wind deflector in front of the tire and, blew out 7 push button connectors. This was an easy fix. Other times, on other vehicles, have been much worse, including having to replace the whole bumper, fender and headlight assembly.
As Elmer Fudd say ; "Be veewy quite, I'm hunting wabbit's".
I have yet to find a light bar, bull bar or grill gard I like so I decided to build one myself. It needed to mount using existing holes/bolts without loosing any ground clearance and be strong enough to handle an occasional tow bar for emergencies. It is built on trailer leaf springs to absorb some shock without damage to the car. I decided that 1-1/2" steel tubing would be light enough but strong enough to take on any small to medium size animal. It only weighs 35# and I lost no ground clearance.
Need a weekend project? Here you go!

Old 03-13-2016, 11:54 PM   #10

Looks good that's was a great idea

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
Bwg3 is offline   Reply With Quote

« 2018 Crosstrek | - »