Oil Consumption - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #1

My Vehicle: Limited 2014 Crosstrek XV, Red, CVT
Default Oil Consumption

My 2014 XV(cvt) is now at 108k and using about a quart of oil every 2500 miles. I have not pushed my XV excessively in it's life as it is mostly a commuter car during the week. Has anyone else had oil consumption issues with their XV's?

RWBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Limited, 2016 Crosstrek Sport. Both with Eyesight.

http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/...-tsb-3488.html

http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/...tion-3310.html

http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/...tion-2286.html

Yes.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

That's somewhat high consumption for someone who doesn't beat on their engine. Though, technically, "excessive" according to the owner's manual is consuming more than 1 U.S. quart per 1,200 miles.

I'm hovering above that mile range per U.S. quart consumed on my 2nd engine shortblock that replaced the original one under warranty that was extended exclusively for the excessive oil consumption issue.

Unfortunately, your vehicle is past the 100,000 mile engine extended warranty pertaining to oil consumption issues. You may need to contact Subaru of America to see if this can be resolved. It's worth a shot to contact them.
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 04:48 AM   #4

Default Oil Consumption Advice...

Cogen Man & AWDfreak = Thank you for your replies. This is all very helpful information and I will follow up with Subaru America to see if they are willing to do something about my issue. I also had the "excessive oil consumption" test at about 90K and of course I passed due to their definition of "excessive oil consumption". Replacing 2 quarts of oil between 5k services not only seems excessive, it absolutely is excessive, even at 100k. An email to Subaru America requesting resolution may yield nothing, but as you said, it's worth a try. Other than that though, the car runs like a top. Seriously, I still get 30+ MPG and although we all know it's no WRX it handles as good as the day I bought it. I really love this car and would buy another if I had it to do again.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Silver 5 spd manual.

I know I'm coming late to the party here.....but just curious, was your engine oil light coming on?
My car had maybe mid 20K miles on it when it started doing that. It happened 3 times. The 4th time, without hesitation, they ordered a new engine for me.
Now the explanation they gave me, whether it be accurate or not, is that when they started using synthetic oil as standard on all of their vehicles, they did not modify the engines for the thinner oil. So that's why it was burning it off so quickly.

(Well maybe it wasn't the entire engine. (Something like the front half or something)) All I know is that once that was done, I haven't had any problems again.

-Keith
keithwceb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwceb2 View Post
I know I'm coming late to the party here.....but just curious, was your engine oil light coming on?
My car had maybe mid 20K miles on it when it started doing that. It happened 3 times. The 4th time, without hesitation, they ordered a new engine for me.
Now the explanation they gave me, whether it be accurate or not, is that when they started using synthetic oil as standard on all of their vehicles, they did not modify the engines for the thinner oil. So that's why it was burning it off so quickly.

(Well maybe it wasn't the entire engine. (Something like the front half or something)) All I know is that once that was done, I haven't had any problems again.

-Keith
keithwceb2 = Thanks for the reply. Yes, engine light came on and it was quite a surprise...unexpected to say the least. Do you have the results from their consumption test? I'd be interested to know if they adhered to Subaru's official criteria.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #7

^^^
My "Engine" or "Check engine" light never came on. My oil light did. (Not meaning to split hairs here.)
I'll have to look through all of the paperwork for that information. You know, and I'm very guilty of this with motorcars, I just bring it in and have them fix whatever the issue is at the time. But I will look into it and let you know.
Best,
Keith
Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 AM   #8

I had a 2013 outback with 90k that would drink a quiet+ per oil change. Subaru monitored it but never found an issue.
Spamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #9

My Vehicle: '16 Crosstrek premium

Actually,regardless of what the tech may have told you,the issue has nothing to do with synthetic oil.It's a combination of light weight 0w 20 oil and low tension piston rings resulting in excessive amounts of oil blowing past the rings and then being burned in the combustion chamber.The decision to use both of those is to improve MPG.Did it work to improve MPG? I can't say one way or the other.Was it a bad idea?Most certainly.You can blame CAFE standards for that.It's been reported that using a higher viscosity oil will reduce consumption.
MarioAndretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #10

OK....like I said, I wasn't sure of the accuracy of what they were telling me. But when you mentioned "piston rings" above, I do recall him saying something about pistons.
I guess after it's documented 3-4 times with Subaru, they take action. Hence the new engine. (Or long block?)

Thanks, Keith

**CAFE? Isn't that from the 70's? It's still in effect?