Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

What did you trade in to get your XV and why?

71K views 281 replies 228 participants last post by  Newbie Subie 
#1 ·
Just curious about what others gave up. I traded in my 2005 Corvette. I needed more room for the kids. Apparently it's frowned upon to stuff a six year old into the trunk.

#4 ·
I was going to trade in my 2000 Dodge dakota which I owend for the full 13 years, but they offered me $652. so I sold it privately. It was tough to go from a truck to a small car. But after one week of 30 MPG (14 MPG in truck) I could not be happier. I love this car!

#5 ·
2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab 4x4 (V8)

I loved that vehicle but it was getting older and less reliable, and I got tired of the fuel cost. I bought it new in late '99. There are times when I miss having a pickup.

Very happy with the Crosstrek - much better match for my lifestyle these days. A utility trailer will go a long way to compensate for the loss of the pickup capability for the infrequent times I need it. I plan on getting one next spring.

#6 ·
2000 VW Cabrio - I had already done 1 round of repairs on it 5 or so years ago and a couple things started acting up again, so I thought it was best to cut ties and get something newer. Wasn't really in the market for a *new* car, but after I started shopping around, I decided I *needed* the XV :)

#8 ·
Traded in my 2007 Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition. It had 99,500 on the odo. I guess I could have kept it. There was nothing wrong mechanically or body wise. My subie extended warranty was about to expire at 100k and I just wanted to get covered and make a change.

I got 8k from the dealer.

#9 ·
I traded in my 2002 Outback Sport, same color scheme as Wilco's above. Had about 118k on the odometer and the engine was sound, but unfortunately was having a lot of rust issues under the chassis. I guess the original owner was from somewhere up north (I bought the car in SoCal) where it snows a lot, and the salty roads got to it. For the ~8 months leading up to my Crosstrek purchase, I had the OBS in the shop a couple times a month spending more on repairs than I spend on my brand new XV payment.

Very happy with the upgrade!

#10 ·
I went from driving a 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer to my Crosstrek. I retired the Jeep then later sold it for a very healthy profit from purchase!

The Jeep was getting me 12 mpg and the Crosstrek is getting me almost 31! The jeep was dripping with style and missed having something like that in my driveway.....so, much to my wife's chagrin, I picked up a 1973 Mercedes-Benz 220d (diesel). Style in gobs!!!

Love the XV as a DD!

Attachments

#11 ·
I didn't trade in any vehicle, but I replaced my Mom's car lost to Hurricane Sandy. And that car was a 2000 Ford Focus with 200,000 miles, and I "gave" her my 2004 Scion xB.

P.S. I didn't feel like looking for an old topic, but there was discussion earlier about wax getting to the black trimming and how to get rid of it. I just waxed my car this weekend and I found out the best way to get rid of the wax was just to buff it like you would the body. With persistence, it will go away.

#12 ·
Chuck said:
I went from driving a 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer to my Crosstrek. I retired the Jeep then later sold it for a very healthy profit from purchase!

The Jeep was getting me 12 mpg and the Crosstrek is getting me almost 31! The jeep was dripping with style and missed having something like that in my driveway.....so, much to my wife's chagrin, I picked up a 1973 Mercedes-Benz 220d (diesel). Style in gobs!!!

Love the XV as a DD!
That's a cool Mercedes, looks mint from the exterior.

#13 ·
Wilco1973 said:
Traded in my 2007 Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition. It had 99,500 on the odo. I guess I could have kept it. There was nothing wrong mechanically or body wise. My subie extended warranty was about to expire at 100k and I just wanted to get covered and make a change.

I got 8k from the dealer.

Was the Outback Sport the Idea for the New XV or...more of the Impreza Wagon of today?

#14 ·
Wingnut said:
Was the Outback Sport the Idea for the New XV or...more of the Impreza Wagon of today?
I think Subaru decided to split the Impreza OBS off from the Impreza line. They now just offer the Impreza Sport sans the Outback. So yes, I consider the XV to be the true new Impreza Outback Sport with the added bonus of extra clearance (even more "Outback"). The 2012-2013 Imprezas (even the Sport) dropped at least an inch from previous model years.

#15 ·
I traded my 2012 Impreza Limited hatchback in on the 2013 Crosstrek. I liked the Impreza pretty well. But that puppy just sat to close to the ground. I'm not a youngster anymore body wise, it was just hard dropping down into the Impreza's seat then pulling myself back out. I'm an old sports car dude so the low ride was alright I couldn't just couldn't make the Impreza work. The first time I drove an XV I knew this was the answer. The ride is much better too and it's not as noisy as the Impreza.

#16 ·
Sold my slammed and modded 2003 Honda Civic for my new XV. Although my Honda was literally like driving a go-cart, as far as handling and fun factor. Going over pot holes, speed bumps and dead animals really got old. It had 230K on it too. Sold it for 4K, privately.

Now I can tackle anything on the road(including snow) and still get the looks for being unique.

#17 ·
bradt said:
I traded my 2012 Impreza Limited hatchback in on the 2013 Crosstrek. I liked the Impreza pretty well. But that puppy just sat to close to the ground. I'm not a youngster anymore body wise, it was just hard dropping down into the Impreza's seat then pulling myself back out. I'm an old sports car dude so the low ride was alright I couldn't just couldn't make the Impreza work. The first time I drove an XV I knew this was the answer. The ride is much better too and it's not as noisy as the Impreza.
Ditto..... 2012 Impreza traded after 11 months ;D

#18 ·
2011 Camaro
Was planning on waiting until spring for new tires (oem tires about $450 a piece :eek:)
Then this happened:

I was casually looking at the crosstrek a few weeks prior & eventually decided it was time to pull the trigger
Sad to see the camaro go but it was time; getting married next year, then kids

I absolutely love my crosstrek
Let's see how she likes a (hopefully) snow-filled buffalo winter

#19 ·
Fortunately/Unfortunately I did not trade anything in for my XV....

Here in Quincy, CA, the only way to get anywhere of substance is to travel for a couple hours by way of a winding two-lane highway through the mountains. This means that on one side of you is a dead drop, and on the other is a rock wall, usually shale, sometimes with greenery, but often crumbling, especially during inclement weather. Though you get used to it, most of the time it looks like this: California hwy 70
(NOTE: this is not my video. Some crazy videoed a motorcycle ride. In reality this drive takes about an hour.) In the end days of April, I had lived here for just about a year, and was traveling this road late at night in the pouring rain in my much-beloved 2008 Volvo S40. Earlier this evening, we had driven around a fallen rock that was about as tall as our tire and maybe twice as wide, so I was aware that this was going to be a dangerous outing. We had slowed to 30 (in a 45 zone), had the wipers on as fast as they could manage, and could not use the highbeams. Still, I could only see about ten or so feet in front of the car. I think of myself as a pretty reliable driver with some trusty quick reflexes, but even I was unable to avoid rolling over a softball-sized rock that was dead-center in our lane. The resulting shatter was not just the rock (as I had hoped), but my oil pan, and as the car rolled to a stop the engine seized, never to be driven again (because to my insurance company, a $7500 engine for a $12,500 car is Just Not Worth It.)

So this led to a search for an appropriate mountain vehicle, which ended in the most fabulous Subaru, a brand I don't think I'll ever stray from again. It's got snow control, it's got comfort, it's got handling, it can have speed when I want it to... And of course, the most important feature of all:

The XV is 8.7 inches off the ground. :D

Freya, the S40

#20 ·
I went to trade my 03 Jeep Liberty. Bought a Land Rover LR2. Took the LR2 home, but kept the Liberty and gave it to the hubby so he wasn't putting mileage on my pride and joy ((04 Tacoma 4door 4x4... 9 years old and had just 70k on her).

Drove the LR2 that next night and hated it. So, gave the LR2 to the hubby, and went back to driving my jeep. But then I had too many cars. So a week later, I found the XV. Drove it, loved it, bought it, trading in the Jeep at a great rate.

Came home, put the Tacoma up for sale in Craig's List. It sold in 2 hours flat (literally). Kind of a backwards way to find a car you love. But worked out perfectly, not to mention I get better gas mileage all the way around.

#22 ·
Our 2002 Honda Accord with around 160,000 km on it.
We were involved in an accident around the New Year and insurance felt it was better to fix than to write off.

Not related to the accident, but would have needed to get new sets of winters and all-seasons tires, as well as new brakes, if we wanted to run it into the ground...

#23 ·
Nothing.

The lease was up on my Prius so I let it go. I was going to drive my fathers Silverado through spring since I have it in my driveway anyway and he said he wanted to sell it. I ended up with the Cross Trek. Then he says he wants to keep the Silverado. Uh no, I'm making him sell it the moment I'm done with it! I do not need 4 vehicles and would love the extra space in my driveway. If I give it back to him it will sit and rust. At least my wife & I drive it to keep it exercised.

#24 ·
05 Dodge Neon SXT...it was my first car, and after 7 years didn't fit my needs any longer. Not to mention it was a safety ratings nightmare. From what I understand, should I have been involved in a head on collision at pretty much any speed, there is a decent chance my right leg would have survived mostly intact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.