MPG Reports? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-05-2018, 03:19 AM   #1

Default MPG Reports?

Thank you for having me! Great site. I'm may be one of the few that have joined the form without owning a Crosstrek! I hope that's not against the rules?

We have every intention of doing so though within the next six months and I found through motorcycle forms, that there is no better way to gleen information on a purchase then to join the site preemptively and really dig deep into the pros and cons of said purchase.

Probably 98% sure on the Crosstrek, but still slightly leery of oil consumption issues with subies.....any thoughts on that subject? May as well join the conversation rather that just reading everyone else's gripes!

Live 50 km east of Vancouver BC and have never owned a Subaru.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Steveonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 03:45 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Welcome to the club!

If you're new to the brand, I highly recommend you check out the "New to Subaru" thread as well as the break-in procedures if you do go forward with purchasing a Subaru vehicle.

There is nothing wrong with joining before having the vehicle which is the main focus of the forum. I was a member without a Subaru XV Crosstrek for over two years until I got mine.

Oil consumption is largely based upon driving style, but earlier models are very prone to excessive oil consumption. Due to the oil consumption lawsuit, all vehicles affected by the lawsuit have an extended engine powertrain warranty to 100,000 miles, but only pertaining to oil consumption issues.

I got my shortblock replaced, and although it does consume less than the original engine shortblock, I still consume a lot due to my harsh driving style and the conditions I push my Subaru through.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveonski View Post

We have every intention of doing so though within the next six months and I found through motorcycle forums...
..but still slightly leery of oil consumption issues with subies.....any thoughts on that subject?
Hi Steve and welcome (another motorcycle rider here too, and yes the Forums are a great way to get inside a prospective ride, though we are going to be a bit biased towards the Crosstrek, just sayin').

From what I've heard and read on this and also on the other major Subie forum, oil consumption was an occasional issue in the first couple model years of Crosstrek. Others can speak more informed than I on that, but it seems to have been corrected. I have a MY2016 with nearly 30K miles and have had no issues here—yet. I think if you buy late model, you'd likely be fine.

I see you're in BC. I might also add my own opinion that as fun as this car is in the summer, it's in the winter where I appreciate it the most. Good winter car in snow and ice. Be sure you get the Winter Package.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

Thanks for that moose, what exactly is the winter package?
Nice to have a fellow rider on the form, I ride a 1997 goldwing with 113,000 km on it, engine is a flat ( horizontally opposed ) six cylinder and doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil! Don't understand why Subaru has struggled with leaking, burning of oil and or failing headgaskets for so many years?
Maybe it's time Subaru had a mind meld with the engineering department over at Honda motorcycles and see if they can finally get it right?
Less than six months to my purchase of 18 Crosstrek!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Steveonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

The winter package—actually called the All-Weather Package means heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors and windshield wiper de-icer. Basic requirements in the northern climates of ice and snow, IMHO. It's actually pretty standard on all but the most basic trim package.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote