Chicken's Crosstrek - Page 15 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #141

HI Ralley

You make some good points and to some extent I agree. But I think you may be conflating the MPG people with the off-road people - same vehicle different needs.

I have no idea what the price points are for cars are in Australia but in the USA a Crosstrek is an affordable way to go off-pavement/beach and just so happens to be pretty good in snow. By no means should anyone get the idea that a Crosstrek is a rock crawler although I have seen some really crazy videos. I lifted mine 2" and put on fatter AT tires ut was very careful to keep the OEM offset and total wheel/tire diameter. I have taken it down some trails and on the beach (which is what I really bought it for) and out in my first snow storm about a month ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Actually my wife and daughter thought I was nuts because I took it out in the snow to play. I realize the is a MPG penalty but it is worth it to me.

On the other hand and to your point - and I have seen this with other vehicles I have owned - folks just go and modify their vehicles to get a certain look or think they are enhancing the performance with out really doing their homework. The biggest area is wheels and tires. They replace wheels without regard to the factory engineered off-set or the overall wheel/tire dimensions and create unsafe at worst and poor handling at best situation and then wonder why their ball joints get worn so fast.

Oh right - I guess snow is not likely in the forecast right now Down Under .

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 11:40 PM   #142

My Vehicle: Quartz Blue 2018 Subaru XV 2.0i-S

Ok, good points - the price you pay is cheaper I paid for my XV was cheaper than for the toyota, etc that I quoted in my post. I'm sure that you'll get better MPG than the other larger vehicles (I would certainly hope so, LOL! Interestingly, I have already done 10k with my new XV since August, with it showing 7.3 l/100k combined which I am happy about, although I seem to be putting a few ks on the clock with some long distance drives recently. I take my wife to see her mum in central Victoria about every 3 - 4 weeks which adds about 800 km per trip. A recent holiday to Sydney added 1200kms, so they add up quickly and it's great that the car's so economical.
I see by the photos that your OEM spare would not be of any use and they wouldn't fit in the wheel well, so you would need something bigger like the tyre holder.

Your tyre on the wall is pretty awesome! You could take them pretty well anywhere off road. Are the tyres noisy? Some people don't necessarily like the extra sound but I don't really mind it. When I used to drive on my rally tyres on my Corolla it seemed to add to the experience, LOL!

Enjoy your Crosstrek! Cheers!
Rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:01 AM   #143

My Vehicle: Quartz Blue 2018 Subaru XV 2.0i-S

Hi Dennis, Thanks for your reply.
You make some good points, too! Like you, here in Australia, an XV (Crosstrek) is an affordable way to go off-pavement/well formed bush tracks. And you're right that no one should get the idea that a Crosstrek is a rock crawler. It's important to keep to the original steering geometry as much as possible so it behaves correctly. It's not unknown for the young lads near here to jack their cars and surfer vans up and add big tyres and then they wonder why they look and handle like a bucket of slop.

We live near the beach but there is nowhere nearby where it is OK to drive along the sand so I have occasionally driven to and along a couple of gravel roads which has been fun, although my wife disapproves, LOL! You'd think she'd be ok with it after so long, but...oh well.

... and yes there is no snow in Australia at present, especially with temps over the weekend here of 43 degrees C (109 deg F). There were reports on the TV over the weekend showing traffic on one of our major interstate highways that was slowed to a crawl because the bitumen tarmac had melted!!! Snow wouldn't stand a chance!!!!

Cheers, keep warm while I try to keep cool!
Martin
Rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #144

My Vehicle: 05 STi - 18 Crosstrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallymaster View Post
Ok, good points - the price you pay is cheaper I paid for my XV was cheaper than for the toyota, etc that I quoted in my post. I'm sure that you'll get better MPG than the other larger vehicles (I would certainly hope so, LOL! Interestingly, I have already done 10k with my new XV since August, with it showing 7.3 l/100k combined which I am happy about, although I seem to be putting a few ks on the clock with some long distance drives recently. I take my wife to see her mum in central Victoria about every 3 - 4 weeks which adds about 800 km per trip. A recent holiday to Sydney added 1200kms, so they add up quickly and it's great that the car's so economical.
I see by the photos that your OEM spare would not be of any use and they wouldn't fit in the wheel well, so you would need something bigger like the tyre holder.

Your tyre on the wall is pretty awesome! You could take them pretty well anywhere off road. Are the tyres noisy? Some people don't necessarily like the extra sound but I don't really mind it. When I used to drive on my rally tyres on my Corolla it seemed to add to the experience, LOL!

Enjoy your Crosstrek! Cheers!
I was a bit concerned with road noise prior to getting the wheels/tires. But after having them on, they are surprisingly quiet! Probably a tad bit louder than OEM, but they do not hum on the highway

And yes, mileage does add up quick! If I go door to door, 5 days a week (home to work) its 1200 miles (~ 1930 km) per month.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #145

Since it was raining all day yesterday... I figured I needed to make a quick side trip on my way home from work. Got a little dirty!

Old 01-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #146

Old 01-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #147

Super foggy on my way into work this morning. Figured I needed to snap a few pics lol.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #148

Old 01-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #149

Had an appointment at the dealer yesterday.

First two oil changes are "free", so this was the first one.

5,483 miles.
Also had them install the headunit update so im hoping that will help with all the bugs everyone complains about (and I experienced).

Today Ill be rotating the tires getting the 5th into the rotation.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #150

Newest video from Blake's Garage is up.

Features another local business here in Sacramento, Detail Maniac. They did an AMAZING job doing a seamless clear bra install on the whole front clip of my car. You cant even tell its there!