Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #21

My Vehicle: 05 STi - 18 Crosstrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
  • The consolidated City and County of San Francisco
  • Fremont
  • Sacramento

These are the three cities that I am aware of which have the length limit. As unfortunate as this may sound, there's a good chance more cities in this state may adopt this terrible policy.
hahaha whoops.

Have broken that law everyday as I live in Sac and head to SF all often.. BAM has been in Freemont the last 2 years.. whoops

stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #22

Quote:
I wanna gauge just how "paranoid" I am. I've often been ostracized for being prepared, with many telling me to "chill out". But it's just in my nature and training to stay prepared and ready.

I will admit, I am a tad overkill, but somehow it all fits in my pockets.

This is what I usually carry on me when I leave my living quarters that I presume is the norm:
  • smartphone
  • keys
  • wallet

This is what I usually carry on me when I leave my living quarters that I presume to be extremely abnormal:
  • hand sanitizer
  • 2 x flashlights
  • 2 x pepper spray canisters
  • 2 x pocket knives
  • pair of medical gloves
  • pen (designed for waterproof notepad)
  • waterproof notepad
  • hemostatic-impregnated gauze
  • 2 x tourniquets

I was curious what everyone else has for their EDC setup, and I'd like to establish this thread for all discussions on EDC-related preparedness.

And, although I presume this is wistful thinking, I'd like to believe what I'm doing with my EDC setup is right and that I'm not insane.
No worries, my friend. You're not the only one. Aside from me, the other feedback in this thread is living proof that everyone has their own EDC.
ClingClangClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #23
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

My EDC as of late has... expanded, furthering the weight I carry on my waist.

I attached images to post instead of the usual image hosting.

New additions to my EDC include:

* medical gloves
* hearing protection
* multi-tool
* thin reflective belt (blame my military background for that)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170601_142309 Every day carry EDC.jpg (88.5 KB, 11 views)
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #24

Quote:

* medical gloves
* hearing protection
* multi-tool
Those medical gloves are very handy, allows you to get a hold of greasy stuff when you don't want to get your hands dirty.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingClangClay View Post
Those medical gloves are very handy, allows you to get a hold of greasy stuff when you don't want to get your hands dirty.
You have experience using the North American Rescue Black Talon gloves? They seem thicker than most medical gloves I've ever used.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #26

Quote:
You have experience using the North American Rescue Black Talon gloves? They seem thicker than most medical gloves I've ever used.
Hmm, none, but I might try them out one of these days.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #27
Site Team

Default Every day carry (EDC)

I'm about to get pretty deep here, so be warned.

Many of us EDC lethal weapons, be it knife or firearm. One thing I think is important to EDC in addition to ANY lethal weapon, is the realization that you may have to take someone's life. You have to carry that realization with you every day, or you will carry the guilt every day after.

This is something I learned a long time ago, and it has been indispensable. I had a friend a few months ago have the need to defend his family in their home, he did not take their life, but the intruder now suffers from paralyzation from the neck down. The projectile struck his spinal cord, he'll never be able to move his arms or legs again. My friend is still working through it all. Even though he was in the right. Even though he had every reason to pull that trigger, he still feels guilt.

Every morning when I clip my knife on my belt, or put my firearm in my car, I do it knowing that I may have to use them. That's not to say that I won't still feel guilt, because I will. I think we all get caught up in hypothetically dehumanizing our threats. That's just not how it works in most cases. If you can honestly take a life without a second thought, I personally don't think you should be carrying a lethal weapon. Yes, exceptions exist. For instance, if some ISIS terrorist pops out screaming "Aloha Snackbar!" or whatever the hell holding a rifle, then yeah. He's getting shot in the face guilt-free. But our threats are rarely inherently evil. It's easy to SAY that any thief that breaks into your house deserves to die. But you have to understand that in the moment, you will be staring into the eyes of another human being. And the moment they see that they may be meeting their maker, those eyes become windows into their souls. That's not an easy pill to swallow. I do so with a knife every day (SOG SEAL Pup right now, for those curious), which is inherently more personal. I also do so with the realization that if I have to use my knife, I'm almost certain to end up in the hospital, because life isn't Hollywood, and real knife fights are messy, but that's a topic for another day.

Again, I'm very sorry for the depth of this post. It wasn't my intention to freak anyone out or discourage anyone. I just want to make sure that everyone is prepared. In my opinion, having mental/spiritual fitness is more important than both physical fitness and gear load-outs, so make sure you got your dome piece in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #28

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

Very well said RB. The depth of thought you display here, in my opinion, is what is sadly lacking in our world today. Nothing we confront in life is black and white but social media and news media easily allow us all to broad brush every subject, movement, group, etc.

Too often common sense takes a backseat to wanting to be right.

Before he passed away my great-uncle, a Korean War vet, gave me a lesson on guns in his own way. When I showed him the Ruger .45 I had recently bought, he just shook his head, looked me right in the eye and said, "Oh you're a gun guy now. Are you gonna point that thing at someone and decide you're gonna kill him in a split second?" Walked away shaking his head.

I think you'd get the same reaction from anyone that has been in an actual life or death scenario. But on the rare occasion that my uncle spoke, his words carried huge weight. I had disappointed him and it hurt my soul. I realized I went into gun ownership haphazardly. I wonder what kinds of memories flooded his head when he saw that gun.

I'm not anti-gun. I still own guns. I enjoy shooting guns. I enjoy gear, tools, stuff. I appreciate a well-made widget. Which is why I love the topic of EDC. I just don't feel I have what it takes to carry that responsibility. And sadly few do.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:00 AM   #29
Site Team

As someone who has deployed overseas, I have had the unfortunate mental conditioning of considering other people as potential threats.

I didn't see too much out there, but the fact that I treated most people around me as potential threats (I even brought my knife with me to the showers) put me on edge pretty much everyday of that tour. It went against my generally-friendly demeanor that I had grown used to before I joined the service.

What drove me to do that were several things:
  • There have been, and will be, recorded instances of "allied" troops attacking U.S. troops
  • On the base I was primarily at, there were sometimes reports and briefings of on-base rapes and sexual assaults
  • In a place isolated from the civilization one became accustomed to, stress and homesickness can drive even one's own brothers and sisters in arms to mental instability
  • Fellow servicemembers warned me that I was a prime target for rape and sexual assault

I sometimes still check underneath my vehicle for IED's. I sometimes still verify the safest place to sit down in a public place such as a restaurant that is best to minimize shrapnel injury and maximize situational awareness. I sometimes still check corners slowly, and one I am particularly ashamed of, I sometimes find that both my arms are positioned as if I were holding my old M4 (I called her Melanie) out of muscle memory.

It's been years since I was out there, and I didn't see much, but these old habits still stick with me. Though I know that the civilized country we live in (USA) is far safer than a "combat zone", I sometimes still find myself on-guard. I just can't get rid of it.

As for use and carry of potentially-lethal EDC, if you honestly don't believe you can take someone's life, non-lethal tools such as a stun gun, pepper spray, etc. would be far more ideal for fleeing dangerous situations.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:

* medical gloves
* hearing protection
* multi-tool

You, my good friend, have got to minimize what you carry on your person.

Three reasons I say this.
1). As you already stated, you carry too much weight, which also means you carry too much bulk.
2). Many of your items are either outright duplicates, or can be be improvised using things you already have to have on you, such as clothing and shoe laces, or things that will undoubtedly be in the environment that you'll be in.
3). I think I counted six things in this picture (not 100% sure and don't feel like going back to count if I'm off by one) that clip onto a belt or pocket. Which means they are visible. When you have that much gear in view, you draw attention. Which I feel is bad both in everyday life and in a SHTF scenario.

#2 and #3 are by far the most important. Keep in mind, this is simply my opinion, and I've never been to war, so take it with a grain of salt. To expand on 2, first off having two folding knives is relatively useless. Folding knives are very difficult to actually use effectively in a defensive situation. A 2" fixed blade would do more good in a knife fight than a 4" folder. Fixed blades are stronger, thicker, and safer. I've had the locking mechanism of a folder break on me. It hurts. I would personally ensure the multi tool you carry has a knife on it, and then trade 2 folders for 1 fixed blade. Next, the medical gear. Tourniquets are easily improvised. Worst case scenario, shoelaces. I don't like this option because 1). it leaves your shoes loose, and 2). I don't have shoelaces since I wear boots (ropers). But also, if you are in an office environment, or really in any building anywhere, there are cords plugged into damn near every socket these days. Unplug it, wait a sec, and chop it off at the equipment, and boom. You have a tourniquet. Gauze can be improvised using clothing, or fabric from an office chair, or a kitchen rag, or..., you know what I'm getting at?

Number 3 just comes down to personal safety. When you carry that much gear, you look like you have military background. In a mass shooting situation, guess who just became target #1? In an armed robbery, guess who they are going to be making sure stays on the ground or gets shot? In a civil unrest/SHTF scenario (especially in the Bay Area where people know the likelihood of you having a firearm is damn near 0%), guess who is advertising that they have gear someone else may want? I'm not all super into this whole "Grey Man Theory," but a little subtlety can go a long way.

I carry, on my person every day, in addition to the normal wallet, keys, phone thing:
- Leatherman Multi Tool
- Fixed Blade
- Olight M1X Striker (still the best damn flashlight on the market, striker bezel can also be used in defense)
- depending on where I'm going, I might carry a few feet of paracord in my boot.

I used to carry more, but I just slowly realized that arming myself with the knowledge to improvise would go a lot farther.

But keep in mind that this is just ON ME. In my car, that damn thing is still a mobile command center. Comm equipment, first aid, fire extinguisher, recovery equipment, a couple flashlights, food, water, a few knives, a couple changes of clothes for me and my wife, flares, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote