Every day carry (EDC) - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Question Every day carry (EDC)

I wanna gauge just how "paranoid" I am. I've often been ostracized for being prepared, with many telling me to "chill out". But it's just in my nature and training to stay prepared and ready.

I will admit, I am a tad overkill, but somehow it all fits in my pockets.

This is what I usually carry on me when I leave my living quarters that I presume is the norm:
  • smartphone
  • keys
  • wallet

This is what I usually carry on me when I leave my living quarters that I presume to be extremely abnormal:
  • hand sanitizer
  • 2 x flashlights
  • 2 x pepper spray canisters
  • 2 x pocket knives
  • pair of medical gloves
  • pen (designed for waterproof notepad)
  • waterproof notepad
  • hemostatic-impregnated gauze
  • 2 x tourniquets

I was curious what everyone else has for their EDC setup, and I'd like to establish this thread for all discussions on EDC-related preparedness.

And, although I presume this is wistful thinking, I'd like to believe what I'm doing with my EDC setup is right and that I'm not insane.

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #2

So I was about to call you insane, but then I realized I too have a ton of useless junk I bring with me everyday on my way to work. Aside from "wallet, keys, phone".

I have so many things I had to start brining a back pack with me to work. It contains: vitamins, a water bottle, a Gatorade, a redbull, earbuds, a bandaid, amber tinted- auto darkening prescription eyeglasses (for sunny/foggy days, eye glass cleaning kit, pocket knife, lightweight grip enhanced gloves capable of using smartphone. And on vacation it carries spf30, GoPro stuff, a lightweight and water resistant coat.

I don't get why you are carrying so many legal self defense weapons... did you have a bad experience?
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 05 STi - 18 Crosstrek

Got the norm phone/keys/wallet

Also have everyday
-Cheap basic spring assisted knife with seatbelt cutter and window punch built in
-Sunglasses

Thats just on my body everyday.

In both cars, ive got some first aid kits with all the basics (band-aids, gloves, disinfectant etc). Ive also got sutures and different sized sterile needles still in the packaging.

I also keep a pair of old shoes and an old bed comforter in the trunk of the STi where the spare wheel goes. I drive up to Lake Tahoe, summer or winter, and if I get stuck on the freeway over night in the snow, ive got a big warm blanket so I dont have to keep the car running/run out of gas.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #4

My current EDC minus my cellphone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ArnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
So I was about to call you insane, but then I realized I too have a ton of useless junk I bring with me everyday on my way to work. Aside from "wallet, keys, phone".

I have so many things I had to start brining a back pack with me to work. It contains: vitamins, a water bottle, a Gatorade, a redbull, earbuds, a bandaid, amber tinted- auto darkening prescription eyeglasses (for sunny/foggy days, eye glass cleaning kit, pocket knife, lightweight grip enhanced gloves capable of using smartphone. And on vacation it carries spf30, GoPro stuff, a lightweight and water resistant coat.

I don't get why you are carrying so many legal self defense weapons... did you have a bad experience?
Because personal rights are not respected here, those items are the full-extend of what I can carry without worrying of any stupid legal troubles. Hopefully I can alleviate my living situation to never have to worry about restrictions on carrying later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post

In both cars, ive got some first aid kits with all the basics (band-aids, gloves, disinfectant etc). Ive also got sutures and different sized sterile needles still in the packaging.

I also keep a pair of old shoes and an old bed comforter in the trunk of the STi where the spare wheel goes. I drive up to Lake Tahoe, summer or winter, and if I get stuck on the freeway over night in the snow, ive got a big warm blanket so I dont have to keep the car running/run out of gas.
Oh boy, bringing in the topic of vehicle every-day carry is a whole new bag.... That one I know I've lost a bit of cargo room over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnieB View Post
My current EDC minus my cellphone

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7d3d28a07b.jpg

Nice and simple, less crap in pockets to worry about. What knife is that?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Because personal rights are not respected here, those items are the full-extend of what I can carry without worrying of any stupid legal troubles. Hopefully I can alleviate my living situation to never have to worry about restrictions on carrying later on.

Oh boy, bringing in the topic of vehicle every-day carry is a whole new bag.... That one I know I've lost a bit of cargo room over.

Nice and simple, less crap in pockets to worry about. What knife is that?

It's a Liong Mah design Warrior 1 CF!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #7

The Bay Area is that bad? I thought it was al hipsters, tree huggers, and "alternate lifestyles"?
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnieB View Post
It's a Liong Mah design Warrior 1 CF!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's a beautiful knife. Maybe someday I'll get a pocket knife like that that may be permissible in an environment with suited people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
The Bay Area is that bad? I thought it was al hipsters, tree huggers, and "alternate lifestyles"?
It's one of the worst. There's even two cities in the Bay Area that don't allow carry of a pocket knife in excess of two inches.

Below is most of my EDC setup. I have two sets of knives. The pair to the left are my regular folding knives. The pair to the right are the city-compliant knives for the three cities in the state that I know of that have that knife length restriction.

Knives from left to right:
  • Spyderco Native
  • Emerson CQC-14 "The Snubby"
  • Boker Subcom (collab with Chad Los Banos)
  • Spyderco Chicago
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
It's a beautiful knife. Maybe someday I'll get a pocket knife like that that may be permissible in an environment with suited people.

It's one of the worst. There's even two cities in the Bay Area that don't allow carry of a pocket knife in excess of two inches.

Below is most of my EDC setup. I have two sets of knives. The pair to the left are my regular folding knives. The pair to the right are the city-compliant knives for the three cities in the state that I know of that have that knife length restriction.

Knives from left to right:
  • Spyderco Native
  • Emerson CQC-14 "The Snubby"
  • Boker Subcom (collab with Chad Los Banos)
  • Spyderco Chicago
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I have a few Spydercos including one of the new Natives. My favorite is my new Para 3. I have an affinity for pocket knives and own several (Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, Chris Reeve...)

Old 02-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #10
Site Team

How's the Para 3 compare to the slightly-smaller Native?