2015 Subaru Legacy at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > Other Subaru Models > Legacy

Old 06-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default 2015 Subaru Legacy at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show

Old news, but might as well put a thread in the Subaru Legacy subsection of the forum.

http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/contents/pdf_en_97783.pdf
http://www.subaru.com/auto-show/chicago-2014.html

[SUBARU] SUBARU "LEGACY of LEGACY -The Baton" - YouTube
YouTube video code: Zz4P8nN8HS8
The all-new 2015 Subaru Legacy - YouTube
YouTube video code: 4Up9zXcPcO4
More can be found here: SubaruGlobalTV - YouTube
and here: Subaru - YouTube

cliffnotes:
* FB25 and EZ36 engines remain, retuned for slightly-higher output and lower emissions
* Lineartronic CVT for FB engine, High-Torque Lineartronic CVT for EZ engine [NO MANUAL TRANSMISSION]
* increased emphasis on comfort and "premium-grade feel" (basically chasing the Europeans (again)), higher-grade trim levels get high-comfort suspension
* increased unibody rigidity and subframe rigidity
* many more active safety features
* same brake-based "torque vectoring" as WRX implemented
* 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern implemented just like WRX and WRX STI

I like the exterior better, and I'm very confident they improved interior packaging, functionality, and MPG. However....

Sadly, no more 6-speed manual!!! >

HOWEVER
Canadian FB25 Legacy models have the option of the 6-speed manual!!! Anyone aware if any other markets will have the manual transmission available???

LEGACY 2015 - Subaru Canada

Quote:

Horizontally opposed, 4-cylinder, 2.5L SUBARU BOXER engine
Available PZEV emissions equipment
6-speed Manual Transmission (6MT) or optional Lineartronic® CVT
I'm definitely jealous... XV's in Canada can even get factory HID's...

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

I've been seeing the term "torque vectoring" out there quite often as of late. I understand it to be left/right as well as front/rear torque splitting. Does the XV have this? I only ask because we were driving in a bad snow storm a few weeks ago, ice turned to snow, and upon accelerating sometimes, we heard what sound like ABS grunting, but it was only coming from the right side of car, not front. It would come and go depending upon traction.
gtshnzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

That's your ABS reacting to conditions. The XV does not have the torque vectoring system in the WRX as far as I know. And if it did it wouldn't be as intrusive to the point that you'd hear or feel it.

Technically "brake based" isn't a true torque vectoring like you'd find in a Lancer Evo or a GT-R and I think some Acuras.

The computer is telling the brakes to provide slight drag on the inside wheel(s) during a turn based on steering wheel position, speed, etc. True torque vectoring is mechanical and done thru differentials and clutches along with computer wizardry.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schonuff View Post
That's your ABS reacting to conditions. The XV does not have the torque vectoring system in the WRX as far as I know. And if it did it wouldn't be as intrusive to the point that you'd hear or feel it.

Technically "brake based" isn't a true torque vectoring like you'd find in a Lancer Evo or a GT-R and I think some Acuras.

The computer is telling the brakes to provide slight drag on the inside wheel(s) during a turn based on steering wheel position, speed, etc. True torque vectoring is mechanical and done thru differentials and clutches along with computer wizardry.
You are indeed correct. But the technology is more than a gimmick, despite not being "true" driveline-based torque vectoring. Newer police vehicles such as the Ford Police Interceptor Sedan (Taurus-based) and Ford Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer-based) are using the technology now.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

To me, its a testament to how good Subaru's AWD system is at its core without any nannies and such. They don't need to develop these kinds of things when the system is balanced and symmetrical.

The WRX utilizes brake based vectoring to correct natural understeer you get with AWD. Nothing more nothing less. Where the Evo is overcoming a FWD based transverse engine layout that wants to run circles around itself.

This is why I love the XV. Function and simplicity. Everything you want nothing you don't.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I absolutely love this car in the snow. Much better than our Lexus RX 330!
gtshnzr is offline   Reply With Quote