Subaru Chief seeks to limit sales growth.... - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Default Subaru Chief seeks to limit sales growth....

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...t-sales-growth

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 Desert Khaki CrossTrek Limited

Seems odd but hey, as long as the quality remains good and I can buy a new one when I'm ready I'm ok with that. I'm sure the man knows more about the automobile business than I do. Besides, I don't want to see myself coming and going at every intersection. After my trip to Maine two weeks ago, I'm on Subaru overload...they're everywhere in New England
Pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek (Tangerine Orange Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor passum View Post
I don't want to see myself coming and going at every intersection. After my trip to Maine two weeks ago, I'm on Subaru overload...they're everywhere in New England
That's how I felt when I got back from San Francisco and the northern California coast. I think every other car on the road there is a Subie!

N6VHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I think this is the right way to go about it. A brand is no longer niche if everybody has them IMO, such as a Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, etc.

As for the plug-in hybrid, I'm hopeful but I want Subaru to retain the mechanical Symmetrical AWD. I'm not a fan of the front wheels driven by the ICE while the rear wheels are driven by electric motors like the VIZIV concepts have showcased. (For those who missed out, I want myself a plug-in Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid w/ the full mechanical Symmetrical AWD).
Old 11-04-2015, 01:13 AM   #5

I'm in total agreement with how Subaru plans to grow (or not grow...). My only concern is that due to their future limited production, the company would charge a hefty premium for the brand.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2014 XV CrossTrek Premium in Tangerine Orange Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
I'm in total agreement with how Subaru plans to grow (or not grow...). My only concern is that due to their future limited production, the company would charge a hefty premium for the brand.

I agree, as much as I like what I am hearing, this strategy could be a recipe for higher demand and limited supply. Surely, Subaru is at a critical moment in their history and where to go from here will shape their future.
I believe if Subaru gets too big and loses focus, it won't be Subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
freeasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

IMO Subaru has already lost a lot of its niche-ness. But that's not to say it won't come back around. They could still easily offer a WRX hatch, Legacy GT and wagon, Baja, etc. These are the types of things that made them niche.

They've admitted that they're focusing on higher average transaction price and not total sales with this statement. What better way to increase ATP and niche-ness than to offer an XT or true-STi version of everything you sell?
Old 11-18-2015, 03:26 AM   #8

I'm curious about their plans for the future of the Crosstrek. It seems that they are firmly against offering the Crosstrek with an optional higher output engine. My take is that they want to keep the Crosstrek as an introductory level platfirm and chanel prospective buyers who want more performance to the Forester or the WRX. It is a sound strategy, but as one of those prospective buyers, I would really rather buy a 180HP+ Crosstrek if it were available. Seems like the existing 2.5 liter and trans in the Forester would be great in the Crosstrek. Of course, if a WRX-type Crosstrek were available, that would be a serious contender for my money.
C-Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #9

Although I don't know for certain, I think it's probably due to the need to meet EPA mpg and emission requirements for their fleet. Whether it would increase overall sales is the question. Subaru's top selling vehicle, the Forester is already divided into two groups; 2.5 and 2.0 Turbo XT with two distinct price points. Having another more powerful Crosstrek may only end up taking sales away from the Forester or other Crosstreks. But then again, they may surprise everyone and offer one.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek Limited

I tend to agree this is a wise decision for quality issues. Sometimes when a company produces a product that "sells like hotcakes" the rush to increase #'s can hurt quality. The fact that they set a max production level, and are making plans around it, seems to show that unit quality matters to them. That's actually quite refreshing to see in a auto manufacture.

Concerning the niche status, well that's already a lost cause. Come to my neck of the woods and you'll see Subaru's everywhere. Pretty sure a lot of the Northeast is like that. The dealer told me that my Crosstrek was the 562nd they sold that year. Now considering the 2015's hit the lots late in the model year that's pretty damn impressive. Also explains why I can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting a Crosstrek...
geost1 is offline   Reply With Quote