2018 Crosstrek speaker upgrades - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight
Default 2018 Crosstrek speaker upgrades

Has anybody on here upgraded the speakers on the 2018 Crosstrek w/o changing the head unit or adding an AMP?

Were they plug and play?

Do the kicker speakers for the 2013-2016 fit the 2018 w/o modification?

Does the kicker tweeter fit the dash on the 2018?

If you went with another brand... what one?

Input is appreciated.

Mine: 2018 Crosstrek premium, CVT, Eyesight, 2 dash speakers, 2 front door, 2 rear door. "NO" amp...

northframingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Limited Quartz Blue Pearl

I have the stock sound system in the 2018 Limited as I did not want to pay for the NAV & Harmon Kardon package just to get the better tunes. The 2018s have Apple Car Play and that is what I use for NAV and it works incredibly well.

I just bought the Kicker tweeter upgrade off eBay for $80 and they do not fit the 2018. Different hole pattern. As I did not want to pay return shipping, etc....I decided to modify it with a Dremel tool. The new speakers fit the opening and the plug matches, merely the bolt pattern if off: therefore it is not plug and play. I was able to cut out the stock speaker, and used that as a template for the upgraded speakers. Just screwed the new speakers onto the old template. Works great, but took some time grinding away plastic. The sound is amazingly better. I had already experienced "tinny" noise feedback from the OEMs. And the new ones are 2" dome vs the 1/4" dome OEMs.

As far as other speaker options. I have already pulled the interior door panels off the front and rear to see what the options are. Fronts are 6 x 9" and rears are 6 1/2", so no, the previous models Kicker upgrades will not work.

I am deciding on what way I want to go. The Subaru Rockford Fosgate upgrade is a plug & play. It comes with the two 6 x 9s and what looks like a very small amp......plus badges for the from speaker grilles (Bling!!!). This is a $500 dealer option upgrade when you buy the car, and my dealership sells them for $390 for DIY. But, I have found that the cheapest option for OEM products is through Subaru Parts Warehouse off of eBay, specifically the one in Claremont, NH. They have this upgrade for $339 w/ free shipping. All their stuff is free shipping.

I am leaning towards getting aftermarket speakers and an amp though Crutchfield. You are going to get much more bang for your buck, better speakers with bigger magnets, and definitely a far superior amp that way. But, it will NOT be plug and play. You'll need to do some modifying: bypassing the factory plugs, and bracketing for the speaker insets. You can see them in this pic below of the Subaru Upgrade. It's a big plastic housing.I have the stock sound system in the 2018 Limited as I did not want to pay for the NAV & Harmon Kardon package just to get the better tunes. The 2018s have Apple Car Play and that is what I used for NAV and it works incredibly well.

I just bought the Kicker tweeter upgrade off eBay for $80 and they do not fit the 2018. Different hole pattern. As I did not want to pay return shipping, etc....I decided to modify it with a Dremel tool. The new speakers fit the opening and the plug matches, merely the bolt pattern if off: therefore it is not plug and play. I was able to cut out the stock speaker, and used that as a template for the upgraded speakers. Just screwed the new speakers onto the old template. Works great, but took some time grinding away plastic. The sound is amazingly better. I had already experienced "tinny" noise feedback from the OEMs. And the new ones are 2" dome vs the 1/4" dome OEMs.

As far as other speaker options. I have already pulled the interior door panels off the front and rear to see what the options are. Fronts are 6 x 9" and rears are 6 1/2", so no, the previous models Kicker upgrades will not work.

I am deciding on what way I want to go. The Subaru Rockford Fosgate upgrade is a plug & play. It comes with the two 6 x 9s and what looks like a very small amp......plus badges for the from speaker grilles (Bling!!!). This is a $500 dealer option upgrade when you buy the car, and my dealership sells them for $390 for DIY. But, I have found that the cheapest option for OEM products is through Subaru Parts Warehouse off of eBay, specifically the one in Claremont, NH. They have this upgrade for $339 w/ free shipping. All their stuff is free shipping.

I am leaning towards getting aftermarket speakers and an amp though Crutchfield. You are going to get much more bang for your buck, better speakers with bigger magnets, and definitely a far superior amp that way. But, it will NOT be plug and play. You'll need to do some modifying: bypassing the factory plugs, and bracketing for the speaker insets. Below is the a pic showing the plastic housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (120.7 KB, 8 views)
A-A-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

I listened to stock, Rockford Fosgate, and HK before making my decision for the Limited. I ended up doing the Fosgate at the dealer - they basically threw it in the overall deal. The RF has a DSP that seems to work pretty well and the sound is very nice. I didn't want to go drilling into a brand new car with 6 miles on it, so I went the easy route. I'm curious what options are out there for subwoofers, though.

It sounds very good! I recommend finding a dealership that has all 3. Believe it or not, unless it was a 'bad' system, the HK setup didn't sound as good as the RF.
atiensivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

That's good to hear that the RF upgrade sounds good. That was my main reason for steering away from it.....the plug & play is very enticing.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

I decided to start by upgrading my dash speakers first.
I ordered MTX Thunder35; a 3 1/2 inch tweeter/mid range through Crutchfield.
(with splicers) I searched the web and "no" adapters are sold for the dash speakers that I or Crutchfield could find.

The speakers should arrive mid week and hopefully I will install them next week end.
I opened up and looked at the factory dash speakers and I was not impressed at all.
Looks like a -$5 speaker.

I will most likely stick with the head unit and upgrade the door speakers in the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg MTXthunder35.jpeg (159.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg InkedMTXthunder35side.jpg (75.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #6

The MTX Thunder35 ^shown above^ speakers came today.

I dry fitted them to make sure they would fit; and they do.

There is very little slack and the tweeters use a proprietary plug.

So I will be cutting the wires and using posi-products connectors.

The wires going to the tweeter are (1) white and (1) purple.

According to the Crutchfield technical staff, the "white" wire is the "positive" one.

When the weather warms up in the spring I will upgrade the door speakers.

I figured I'd post "this" and will post an update after they are installed;

incase anyone else is looking into updating their speakers.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

Okay so I finally installed the MTX Thunder35 in the dash of my 2018 Crosstrek
It was a real pain in the azz due to Subaru leaving very little slack in the wires.
It does sound a little brighter and clearer than stock. BELOW is the CORRECT
for WIRING! Not the above post. Next I am installing Kicker 6x9 3 way
44KSC69304 in the front doors. on SALE till tomorrow on Crutchfield.
Slightly higher than eBay, but better deal cause it includes brackets and wire apapters.

2018 CROSSTREK SPEAKER WIRE FUNCTION POLARITY/COLOR/LOCATION

Left front door/dash speaker positive (+): violet or white, negative (-): white or black
Left front door woofer (amplified system) positive (+): light green, negative (-): blue
Left front dash tweeter (amplified system) positive (+): red, negative (-): pink

Right front door/dash speaker positive (+): blue or red, negative (-): pink or green
Right front door woofer (amplified system) positive (+): brown, negative (-): light blue
Right front dash tweeter (amplified system) positive (+): pink, negative (-): violet

Left rear door speaker positive (+): gray or yellow, negative (-): red or orange
Left rear door speaker (amplified system) positive (+): light green, negative (-): blue

Right rear door speaker positive (+): green, negative (-): white
Right rear door speaker (amplified system) positive (+): white, negative (-): red
Old 12-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #8

Yeah, the dash speaker plug wire has NOOOOOO room for wiggle. I was barely able to get my fingers around it.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A-Ron View Post
Yeah, the dash speaker plug wire has NOOOOOO room for wiggle. I was barely able to get my fingers around it.
Still glad i switched them... most difficult pair of speakers I ever installed due to "amount of slack"

Songs like Stairway to Heaven and so many others, really wake up! Azzhole move on their part to leave that little slack!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #10

Installing these in the FRONT doors later this week.

6x9front.jpg

6x9side.jpg

6x9back.jpg