seat height adjuster lever - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #1

Default seat height adjuster lever

i'm having a strange problem with the driver's seat on my '16 crosstrek: my pant leg is getting caught on the handle for the height adjustment. so far, this has tripped me up a couple of times, with one of them resulting in a nasty face-plant.

since the basic seat design is the same, are the height adjuster handles interchangeable between different (non-electric) models and/or years? and are some handles shaped a little differently?

nielkmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 04:45 AM   #2

Height adjustment? I don’t have that in my model, but automotive companies do a REALLY good job of preventing any scenarios that could cause “unintended acceleration”.
My advice- sit differently. Or wear normal clothes.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #3

thanks for the suggestion, but you don't understand.

the height adjust lever is on the side of the seat, next to the adjuster for the back angle. it's longer (probably because it requires extra leverage), and snagged the cuff of my pant leg as i was getting out of the car. so there's no issue about "unintended acceleration", at least not for the car. (i, however, fell out, full length, on the pavement, and banged up both elbows and a knee.)

as for wearing "normal clothes", i don't think long pants are very unusual for adult males in north america. what do they wear on your planet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Can you post a picture of what yours looks like? Because with the location of mine, Iím having a very hard time wrapping my head around how that could even happen. Iím nowhere near flexible enough to get my legs even remotely close to that handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

Hahaha. Well, didn’t mean to wizz in your cornflakes man. But I’m with rallybourne, I don’t see how it’s possible. That’s why I had to offer advice based on the conclusions I could imagine. I wear very nice slacks, full suits, and when I’m grunging around, I wear pajama pants or jeans. But I’ve never encountered that. Perhaps an adjustment to your ingress/egress? I can see baggy pants, holes in clothing, or a set of painters pants with a loop getting caught.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #6

Default the shape of the problem

well, here goes an attempt at a (500-word) picture.

there are 2 levers visible: the rear one is the seat back adjustment, which is very obviously contoured to the seat frame, and the height adjust, longer and nearer the front edge of the seat, which visibly angles away from the seat frame. and happens to catch the cuff of my pants, as i'm swinging around to get out. that means right foot in the air, left leg caught on the seat frame, and face headed for the dirt. (it really didn't help that i had keys in one hand and cell phone in the other.) i'm normally well-balanced, and have been driving different makes and models of car for 40 years, so it kinda took me by surprise...

what i'm hoping to find is a (better designed) lever from a different model/year to replace this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 16.jpg (124.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

Default 'nuther one

and here's another picture, which i found online (and which i am only linking to for educational purposes). note the divergent shape, which is *not* an optical illusion - it actually curves away from the seat frame, as if it wasn't originally designed for this interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crosstrek13-seat-adjustments.jpg (35.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #8

Gotcha. Do you have cuffed pant legs? My cuffed khakis used to catch on silly things so I started buying boot cut pants. You could trim that lever down. I don’t know of a short lever that would interchange. Perhaps try a same model year forester?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:30 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Limited, 2016 Crosstrek Sport. Both with Eyesight.

Yes, maybe you could cut off 1-2". This of coarse would remove some of the leverage effect. I've never had this happen in my 2015 or my wife's 2016. Then I've never flown to the moon either.
Sorry I couldn't help more. I wonder if you removed the lever and heated the end so you could re-shape it to move the end closer to the seat ??
Cogen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:44 AM   #10

i did a bit of google "research", and found that the basic, non-electric seat mechanism seems to be the same across the 4-door subies, as far as i can tell, from impreza to legacy, except the brz (which is a 2-door, with a forward-bucking seat), from at least '15 to '18 (and probably earlier, too).

i haven't checked the actual cars, but the manuals all use the same illustration (except the brz). it's possible that the actual handles have slightly different shapes, but there's a good chance that they attach the same way and can be interchanged. hopefully.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015-XV-Crosstrek-Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf (3.45 MB, 3 views)

Tags
seat height adjust