High Power Fog Lights? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 11-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Premium
Default High Power Fog Lights?

The fog lights on my '13 Premium are worthless! They only seem to illuminate about 2 feet in front of my bumper and even in the heaviest of fog I have a had time noticing any improvement in visibility with them on.

With that in mind, I keep thinking about replacing them with some sort of high-beam light that I can use on dark nights on mountain roads. Something that will increase visibility (overall or maybe just peripheral) over my standard high beams. My dad once had a guy install airplane landing lights on an old rally car he had and while I'm not thinking for going quite that extreme, he's got the right idea.

I know nothing about the electrical limitations of the system and whether that renders this idea impossible, but I figure I could throw the idea out there and see what the ClubCrosstrek world thought.

Thanks.

SonomaXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #2

Highbeams? Are you kidding me. That would be way too bright man. Instead look for some Hella lights from Rallylights.com Driving and Fog Lights
Go nuts.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 05 STi - 18 Crosstrek

High beams are the complete opposite of fog lights.

I would try throwing in an LED into the OEM fog light and putting a yellow or amber film on the housing. Yellow/amber are much better colors for fog/snow.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

So I guess I left something out...

My goal is not to upgrade my fog lights for use as fog lights, my goal is to have an option for additional lighting when I am driving around on single-lane, winding, mountain roads specifically not in the fog. I drive these types of roads often, even for my daily commute, and having the additional visibility would make me fee a lot better about deer and other animals that I see along the road daily.

Don't worry. I won't be the moron turning on my high beams in the fog.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 05 STi - 18 Crosstrek

That makes a difference

Ive got an LED light bar behind the front bumper and 1 mounted to my basket (all in my build journal). I used a switch system to tie everything together.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:19 AM   #6
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

That clarification makes sense. At first, I was quite confused about what you were wanting.

What you may need is a lightbar and/or some driving lights. Fog lights are intended to be low-aimed, wide lights that won't necessarily aim far. Driving lights are intended to be high-aimed, narrow lights that aim far but are not necessarily a wide beam to maximize their effectiveness for long-range.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:33 AM   #7

I figured a light bar or driving lights would be my best option, but I was hoping that there would be some way to take advantage of the mounting ans wiring systems for the fog lights to achieve something similar.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight

check out diode dynamics! their lights are top notch!

northframingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek, Sunshine Orange
Default Fog lights

I upgraded my 16 Crosstrek with white led fog lights. They were bright but scattered light too much, also blinding other drivers. Since I hate halogen headlights and had HID's for 14 years in Acura's, I bought an 18 Crosstrek with LED headlights. The fog lights have even less watts, 19 watts. The 16 Crosstrek was 26 watts I believe. Anyway, the 18 takes H16 Type 2 bulbs, so I found OSRAM fog breakers that are 19 watts, but halogen and yellow, and cut through bad weather a lot better then white light. For some reason they are not sold in the US from any store, had to find them online, they are 19 watts buy work great in bad weather. Paid $50.00 for them.
jmen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2014 Tangerine

Baja Designs has what you want. they also sell the mounting brackets to fit them right into your fog light holes.
apuguy is offline   Reply With Quote