Subaru Should be Ashamed of The Paint Quality - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 AM   #1

My Vehicle: Crosstrek
Default Subaru Should be Ashamed of The Paint Quality

I don't imagine I'll win many new Subaru faithful friends with this post but it's how I feel.

Is all paint on new vehicles today as fragile as the paint on these Crosstreks?

I purchased a 2016 Limited Dark Metallic Grey last month. I like the car, and the color is gorgeous but I've taken just two longer day trips on Winter roads and the front of the car and hood is now chipped up from road sand kicked up from passing cars. You could barely even hear it hitting the car and it's not like sand particles are heavy.

I feel that given the outdoor, go anywhere image of these cars presented by Subaru that this is really unfortunate and unacceptable. Knowing what I know now, I would not purchase a Subaru again. Are my expectations too high?

XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

From what I've read, the paint on newer vehicles are formulated for reduced environmental impact. Unfortunately, these newer paints have proven to be lacking in durability. Subaru's paint, sadly, has always been subpar in terms of durability. With an engine, driveline, and body that are engineered a bit different compared to most other cars, not everything on the vehicle is going to be absolutely perfect.

Simple solution is to use a hood deflector and/or apply film paint protectant on the most vulnerable parts of the body's paint. Also, if you drive your vehicle out on the road, it is inevitable that it will get chipped unless you keep your vehicle garaged and never drive it.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #3

In addition to what AWDfreak said, you would obviously want to fix the chips first. You may want to give Dr. ColorChip a try.

Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

Shoddy paint is nothing new to Subaru. This is just one of the areas that you have to come to terms with as a Subie owner. Along with subpar interiors and materials. I instantly questioned my reasoning when I bought a black XV.

This is one of the sacrifices you make to have a real AWD drivetrain (non-FWD based) that still gets excellent fuel economy under $30K. Auto manufacturers just aren't going to budge from their bottom line if they don't have to and I imagine paint and plastics are #1 on the chopping block.

You can find Subaru factory touch up paint on Amazon. You'll need the paint code which is pretty easy to find online.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

I found the 2015 paint codes:

http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/...icture1183.png
Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 AM   #6

My Vehicle: Crosstrek

Thank you for the replies everyone. I've heard good things about Dr. ColorChip so maybe I'll do that and have some of the clear film stuff put on the front end.
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Silver 5 spd manual.

OMg! So glad someone mentioned this! YES THE PAINT SUCKS!!!
Had the exact same chipping issues with my old 2011 Subie!!!

Currently mine is really bad down at the fog light area. 2 pretty good size chips. Subaru has known of this problem for years now!!! AUGHHHH!
keithwceb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:54 AM   #8

I wonder if it is certain paint colors. I was expecting some on my TOP XV but I haven't KOW noticed any.
TAB95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:24 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2016 Subaru Crosstrek Crystal Black

12 days into ownership

Chip above Driver side front turn signal!

uploadfromtaptalk1452831779525.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Delux2769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #10

Default I agree, any little scrape or scratch...

takes the paint right off. I've got a white 2014 Crosstrek that was beautiful when I bought it last year. Now there are several places on the rear bumper where, due to inconsiderate drivers where I street park for work, I've got black marks where the white paint is no longer. I've owned Ford, Chevy, Audi, BMW, Mitsubishi, Honda...and these types of scrapes would be scratches on the paint, not removal of the paint layer. It really sucks and I hate how my car looks now.
CarolynP is offline   Reply With Quote