The Ultimate Subaru Crosstrek Detailing Thread - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX
Default The Ultimate Subaru Crosstrek Detailing Thread

Hello all, and welcome to ClubCrosstrek.com's Ultimate Detailing Thread!

Ok, I will be honest, I do not know much about detailing a car beyond a basic wash and wax, so I am hoping some of you guys do :P. What I am looking for in this thread is:

- Suggestions on detailing products including brushes/sponges/soap/wax/clay bars/interior wipes/etc.
- Tried and true techniques in detailing including cloth and leather seat treatment, waxing and washing techniques, the best ways to vacuum, carpet cleaning suggestions, how to make your windows crystal clear, tire and rim care, etc.
- Any type of discussion involving the best ways to detail your Crosstrek.
- Lessons learned (aka what NOT to do) in regards to detailing.

Hopefully over time this thread will grow into a great source of information that everyone can pull from in order to keep their Crosstrek looking great -- whether you want to clean every crevice with a Q-Tip or if you just want the basic wash and vacuum techniques.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek Venetian Red, 2012 Accord, 2013 Fiat 500
Default Re: The Ultimate Subaru Crosstrek Detailing Thread

Back in the day when I belonged to the Miata Club of America in the 90's, they always said hand wash, hand wash, hand wash--with cloth or soft sponge, no bristles or brush except for the tires. Use Carnuba wax 3 or 4 times a year and you'll be fine. Be dilligent in keeping your car free from dead bugs, tree sap and bird poop. Never use Armor All, no matter how tempting it makes your interior look really shiny. It accelerates deterioration of the interior finishes. Those chemicals that make the tires shiny are okay, because you will replace your tires in time. The interior you cannot replace. And use a real vacuum cleaner, not the ones you plug into the cigarette lighter.

Modern day update...use those Swiffers or dust cloths. They do wonders in keeping your dash and vents dust free, as well as they get to the tiny crevices where the vacuum hose can't.
XVEwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

My Vehicle: White Pearl XV Crosstrek Touring Model with 5 speed.

I didn't know that about Armor All. What is recommended instead for the dash? Thanks
Got One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #4

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek Venetian Red, 2012 Accord, 2013 Fiat 500

Just cloth dampened with water. I guess if you really want that shiny look to go for more natural-based products like oil used for treating leather. Besides, a too-shiny dash is annoying in very sunny days because it reflects on your windshield.
XVEwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Site Team

I like what you guys are contributing so far, thank you.

Let's keep it going with some product recommendations. I've always used TurtleWax brand ZipWax car wash: http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-7...ords=turtlewax

I don't really know anything about, it's just what my dad always used so I kind of started using it myself. As far as an actual wax, I would usually just buy whatever is cheapest. Is there a big difference in waxes or are they all about the same?

What about headlight restoration? I have never done it before, what is the best way to go about it? I've seen stuff ranging from 10 minute kits that swear to make them look like new, to much longer, involving processes.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

A friend of mine who has a WRX STI recommended this for clouded, faded headlights:

http://youtu.be/BGQEHhxXYoc
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2000 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak
A friend of mine who has a WRX STI recommended this for clouded, faded headlights:
I did the headlights on my TL recently. Wetsand really well & hit with buffer & buffing compound. Been around 9 months & they still look great.
HoustonXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
Site Team

I always wanted to do the wet sanding on my old Outback Sport but then it became to late -- i.e. I sold it and bought a Crosstrek.

Hopefully I won't have to deal with foggy headlights on my Crosstrek for a while. Still a good technique to know.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek Silver

I'm a huge fan of clean engine bays so I was always one to wash my engine bay. When I owned an XB, there was a great post on their forum about how to clean. I pretty used the method for my 2006 WRX and my 2008 OBS. I haven't taken a good look at this motor but I'm sure it'll be pretty much the same. Check out the link below.

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6002
spyder720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder720
I'm a huge fan of clean engine bays so I was always one to wash my engine bay. When I owned an XB, there was a great post on their forum about how to clean. I pretty used the method for my 2006 WRX and my 2008 OBS. I haven't taken a good look at this motor but I'm sure it'll be pretty much the same. Check out the link below.

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6002
Nice, this is exactly what I was looking for in this thread!