Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

15,000 mile service

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  ktmrider203 
#1 ·
I recently took my 16 Crosstrek in for an oil change. The service manager pulled out a brochure and said that I was nearing my 15,000 service mark. The brochure stated that this service is needed every 15,000 miles:
Change Oil and filter, lube where necessary
Rotate Tires and set pressures
Replace Engine air filter
Replace Cabin air filter
Fuel Injection Cleaning Service
wiper blades
top off fluids
Multi point inspection.
Cost: $350 - $370

I've looked at my owners manual and a couple online and non mention this service. Are they looking to get a little extra geedus out of me?

Thanks for any info on this one...

#3 ·
Personally, if I were you I'd find another dealer. So far, my services have cost me $49.00 every 6,000 miles. That's for oil change, tire rotation, check pressures, multi point inspection and top off all fluids. I change my engine air filter and cabin filter myself for a cost of about $30.00 and about 15 minutes time. Easy. So far as fuel system cleaning, today's top tier gasolines have chemicals that negate the need for this. Even if you think it's necessary, every 15,000 miles is extreme overkill.

#12 ·
I completely agree, and Ive heard that wiper refills are covered free under the 36k warranty. I haven’t needed a replacement yet, but don’t know whether I would take it to the dealership. They try to get you for too much work. I had another dealership try that with me with a Mazda I bought in 04. It turned me off to them completely. But I also didn’t have, the source of information available here either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The subie book is to get you in early. The shade tree mechanics pounce on that. Fluids are good for years, not miles. Injectors don’t need cleaning until about 100k, and that’s only if if needs it. A can of sea foam works wonders. @100k, I dump 1/3rd of a can into a full gas tank, a third into the oil filler, and third into the intake manifold. Then give that b!tch an Italian tune up. After your tank of gas is out, change the plugs and oil. Done. Injectors clean.
Cabin and air filter realistically need replaced at about 30k.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I was pretty leery about the injectors when they mentioned them. I've always used premium gas whenever I can and when I can't, I throw fuel injector cleaner in with the tank. The dealer I go to has been known to be a little on the shady side.

#6 · (Edited)
Stop using premium fuel, and stop using the injector cleaner you don’t need that. You are literally throwing money down the drain. All you need to do is get fuel at name brand gas stations. Don’t get fuel at “Bob’s Gas”. Regular unleaded is what the engine was designed for. There is no performance gain with premium. It doesn’t “clean” anything, or help anything at all. Premium fuel is for high performance, high revving, high compression engine’s that need the higher octane content to prevent pre ignition detonation. The fb20/25 are NOT performance engines. They are workhorse engines. They are designed to be reliable, economical, and inexpensive.

#10 ·
I had a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. I ran it on regular unleaded with ethanol and it started missing and had some power loss.
I started to run Premium Unlead w/o Ethanol and ran injector cleaner through it and it finally started running like it was supposed to.

#13 ·
Big name gas stations are not always best. The key is to get your fuel (87 octane is correct as you note) from a station that pumps a lot of gas. Where do you think Big Bob's gas stations gets it's fuel? They don't have a refinery. They buy the excess from mobil, hess, Sunoco, shell, etc. The key is to buy fuel from a station that pumps a lot of gas (avoids sludge and carbon/moisture build-up). The name of the gas station is irrelevant.

#15 ·
Not quite. While I agree that you should try to purchase from a station that sells fast to improve chances of getting fresher fuel, there are a few things to consider.
1) the mom and pop stations get cheaper fuel, bottom of the barrel (pun intended) petrol. They also don’t get as many customers, since it is a mom and pop, AND because they don’t get the location or traffic of a big name place.
2) buying from a place that resupplies often doesn’t guarantee contamination one way or another. But, a mom and pop likely won’t be paying for those tanks to be cleaned out.

#17 ·
My local QT only sells Top Tier certified fuel which has the level of cleaning additives most OEMs certify their engines with so I look for stations that carry the top tier rating . The other large gas chain in my area does not sell Top Tier rated fuels yet charge same price as QT so I go to QT or Shell which only sell Top Tier certified fuels. Shell use a different Benzene than all others for octane rating and a unique amine cleaning additive so maybe their fuel is a little better regarding carbon accumulation but no fuel can completely prevent it . If a car uses some oil the type of fuel probably matters a little more .