Check Engine and VDC lights came on this morning - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #1

Default Check Engine and VDC lights came on this morning

I was almost to work when I noticed that the Check Engine and Vehicle Dynamics Control lights were both on. It's the first time I have seen them on. I turned the car off in the parking lot and turned it back over and they were both still on. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and tried again...both lights still on. I have a call in to the dealership, but am curious if anyone might know what this is.

Dave

dmg1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

VDC uses various sensors to fully function, and some of those sensors the engine also uses.

If your vehicle has the CVT, any change in vehicle behavior?

And most likely, you'll just have to get the codes read. Don't just let them tell you that you have a code, have the service department record every single code and to note them all down on the final service order. This way, if the issue reoccurs, you have proof from THEM that there's a reoccurring problem.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

When's the last time you checked tire pressures? Have you gotten a new tire lately due to a flat? Any slight difference in wheel speed at any corner will trigger those lights. Have you heard the ABS kicking in at all?

Also, to add to AWDFREAK, make them show you the error code FROM the Subaru select monitor! I've watched techs blow smoke up someone's ass just to get rid of them or because they truly don't know how to resolve the issue.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I went out at lunch and the VDC light was out, but the CEL light was still on and the cruise control indicator was flashing. When I left work to take the car in, everything was fine...no idiot lights on and no cruise indicator flashing.

I called the dealership to see if I should still bring it in and they said yes...they might be able to get information from the history.

No, other than the idiot lights, I noticed no change in performance. I really hope they can get some information from the computer.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:15 AM   #5

Please come back to tell us what happened. We are always curious to know if a new issue has come up and if it will become a frequent issue on these vehicles.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

The diagnostics indicated a code P000A (Camshaft position slow response cam A bank 1 wave length is erratic above 2000 RPMs). The recommendation was to replace the Camshaft Position Valve (VVT).

It was covered under my extended warranty minus the $100 deductible. Otherwise, I imagine it would have probably been a $400-$500 bill.

Dave
Old 06-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #7

wait a minute. May I ask for your odometer read out and your model year? That Camshaft should be under drive-trans warranty...
nancy is offline   Reply With Quote