Check Engine/VDC lights with Low Fuel - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-19-2014, 03:03 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited - Dark Gray Metallic
Default Check Engine/VDC lights with Low Fuel

Hi All,

I've searched other sites to no avail so I'm hoping someone on here has some insight. During my last three tanks of gas (87 octane), as soon as the digital readout has 40 miles left until empty and the last bar of fuel goes away under the speedometer, my check engine light and traction control lights come on, along with the usual cruise control flashing. I just had my 30k mile check a couple months ago and nothing was found, so I'm not sure what's going on.

The car is driving fine and nothing is affected (except the use of cruise control) when the lights come on. After I fill up gas and drive for about 20 min and turn the car off and then back on, the lights are gone. Any ideas??? It's starting to really get cold here in Ohio but I'm not sure if so-called "winter grade" gas has anything to do with it. Since it's not affecting the car I'm going to have the dealer take a look when I go in for an oil change in about a month, but figured I'd ask around here first. And noooo, the gas cap is not loose! :P

Thanks!
Adam

ajr017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

Default Re: Check Engine/VDC lights with Low Fuel

You need to get your trouble codes read to see what code it's throwing. I have an UltraGauge hooked up so if it throws a code, I'll be able to look it up and see what it is before I take it to the dealer.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
Old 12-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

I assume Subaru set it so to warn you, that you need gasoline. By the way it's not good to run the car completely empty before refueling. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...stly/index.htm
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek 2.0 Limited

I have run my guage to 0 bars and this doesn't happen to me. I only get the low fuel light at around 1 bar and 50 miles.
Husky liners
Torklift 2" hitch
KLEMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
I assume Subaru set it so to warn you, that you need gasoline. By the way it's not good to run the car completely empty before refueling.
This is true. Also it could be bad to run it so low; cause, the gas that's left in the tank at that level acts as a cooling agent for the fuel pump. You could be putting stress on the pump.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek Venetian Red, 2012 Accord, 2013 Fiat 500

Once I got mine to as low as 0 bars and 30 miles left, then suddenly the miles left went blank. I was a couple of blocks away from the the gas station when this happened, but I never got any other lights or warnings.
XVEwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

Not sure what would cause this other than a short or bad sensor. I know from experience with my Tribeca that if your cruise light is on you might lose anti lock brakes. The speed sensors wont be working. Take it in asap.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Tangerine Pearl

this happened to me at 60k miles and code showed that fuel pump was not working. replaced fuel pump. Now at 116k miles, same issue again. now out of warranty and looking at a $800 fuel pump replacement...
Premium, Manual
k2gdub13 is offline   Reply With Quote