Couple of quick questions - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 AM   #1

Default Couple of quick questions

hey folks, newby here... I don't actually have a Crosstrek yet, but am actively pursuing the idea. I currently have a 2011 Honda Fit- which I bought new. It has been fantastic in regards to reliability and maintenance. I'm looking to slightly upgrade and the 2018 Crosstrek may be it.

I have done all maintenance meticulously myself so:

What is the normal oil change interval? I assume its not hard, but in my browsing, people mistake the CVT drain for the oil drain...

I'd prefer the manual, but the CVT is rated for higher MPG. Is there a particular reason for this? taller top gear? My Fit is rated for 33, but with coasting and gentle acceleration I can routinely get 43mpg. I have to drive pretty hard to get under 40. So, I have beaten the rating, I wonder if I can do so with a Crosstrek manual.

Is there anything else you'd say to a potential buyer? Are there any red flags to know?

Thanks for any input!

Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 04:26 AM   #2

Not my first car. Purchased current 2018 Crosstrek limited with cvt Aug. 11. Currently at 3,800 miles. Best mileage is around 32-34 mpg highway. Around town and mixed i get 28/29. I try to get good mileage. Changed my oil at 2,800 miles..very easy.

Car runs great I like it a lot.some people having problems with head unit. Mines been flawless. Oil changes are 6 months/7k miles

Sent using Tapatalk
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Normal OCI is 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Severe service OCI is 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. These recommendations are the USA specifications set by SOA last I recall.

The width of gearing available with the CVT is far superior to the gears available with the 6-speed manual transmission. And with a CVT, there are no stepped gears under some low to medium load situations, so the engine stays in the most efficient RPM during acceleration, unlike a conventionally-geared transmission (regardless of automatic or manual) which has a limited range of gearing available. A CVT has infinitely-variable ratios available between its minimum and maximum range, hence the excellent fuel economy even compared to a manual transmission.

Since you're new to the brand, I highly recommend you check out the "New to Subaru" thread as well as the break-in procedures if you decide to go with getting a new Subaru vehicle.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

Having owned a 2008 and 2011 Fit sport, you are going to LOVE a crosstrek. More power and better acceleration than the fit. The fit was a dog after second gear. The traction is fantastic compared to the Fits archaic abs and TC. Also a longer wheelbase, so it’s more stable in crosswinds and off-road, high speed shenanigans. My fit got 52mpg as a record high, and averaged 34 on the crap eco tires. When I changed to 205’s, mpg ranked and was at a regular 32mpg in town. My crosstrek averages 30mpg, and personal best is 43mpg on the long drive from Carson city to Bend, OR.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:25 AM   #5

Fantastic! thanks so much guys! I'm looking forward to getting one. Any reason to choose a Crosstrek over a Forester, or vice versa? The Forester is just a little more expensive for the options i'd get.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #6

I believe it might have more cargo room. I don’t know if I could justify the extra spent. The bigger engine has more power, but is pointless since the foz weighs more. So really, same car, just bigger. And likely worse mpg.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:32 AM   #7
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Both the Forester (MY2014-2018) and XV Crosstrek (MY2013-2017) are on the same platform, the 4th generation Impreza platform.

The Forester is slightly-larger, has a larger engine, but shares the same exact brakes (between non-turbos), and a variety of structural and suspension components.

The XV Crosstrek competes with subcompact crossovers, while the Forester competes with compact crossovers. It's really a choice of what you value more, additional space at the expense of MPG, or less space with higher MPG.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:52 AM   #8

Great questions on the Crosstrek. My wife has a 2015 Fit with a 6 speed manual transmission and I have a 2015 Crosstrek with the CVT. Our opinions on the Fit vs the Crosstrek as far as acceleration goes are pretty much the same, I notice the difference when transitioning especially from the Crosstrek to the Fit. The Fit seems faster accelerating than the Crosstrek, maybe its a manual vs CVT thing, I don't know. That being said, the Crosstrek feels better planted when driving through curves and the driving dynamics are better. The Crosstrek has a smoother and better sounding engine. The Fit has a "hornets nest" sound over 3000 rpm (Direct Injection on the Fit) and the Crosstrek just feels better and sounds better at cruising and higher RPMs. I'd say the Crosstrek is by far a better and more comfortable "road trip" car. Plus a better all weather and better built car. Both good though, just different build and projected use philosophies.
Xtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:42 AM   #9

Thanks Xtrekker! Any comments on cost to own? I've had my fit since new and have done oil changes (when it says to) at about every 9500 miles. The Crosstrek i believe is every 6k. I had new tires put on at 45k, and other than air and cabin filters, the car has been flawless. I used to have a Lexus LS430 and I'm simply not interested in high maintenance costs. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm competent and other than an airbag recall have not had my car back to the dealer. I'm hoping to continue that with a Crosstrek.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #10

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight

My 2015 Crosstrek (had it 32 months)
Only did oil changes and regular services to it.
Was a great vehicle!
Liked it so much I bought another the 2018 Premium w/Eyesight.
northframingham is offline   Reply With Quote