drive line vibration? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 black xv crosstrek 5 speed
Default drive line vibration?

I am having a problem with a vibration at highway speed. It feels like i have a tire with a broken belt. so far i have rotated the tires,replaced the passenger side wheel bearing and cv shaft.the vibration only happens under load.Has anyone had to replace their drive shaft? If anyone has any insight i would appreciate it.
Thanks
Chris

cjfred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 PM   #2

There was someone here recently that had to replace the center bearing. Though it was done under warranty, and by the dealer. And they replaced the entire drive shaft.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #3

you seem to have covered all the obvious things already. my crosstrek is eerily smooth most of the time, except when the cvt is cold. my previous '02 legacy made some hideous noises when the lug nuts (all 10 of them!) weren't tightened on the right side, but a tire rotation should have fixed that.

since the problem seems to be readily reproducible (highway speed under load), you could try a few quick experiments, like downshifting, or neutral, at highway speeds, to try to isolate the noise to engine vs transmission, if you haven't done that already. and i presume you've checked for things like warped brake rotors?
nielkmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #4

I have replaced the brakes this summer. when driving down the road and you push in the clutch the noise goes away. the only time you hear it is above 40 mph and under load. I am beginning to think that the carrier baring is bad in the drive shaft. I can only find a drive shaft thru subaru ($577.50). I tried rock auto but they only have it for the auto trans. If anyone knows anyplace else let me Know. I need to fix this before my new crosstrek comes in.
Chris
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #5

Do you feel the vibe in your hands at the wheel, or in your ass on the seat? In the wheel= bad suspension component. In the seat= bad driveline.

My old celica did that exact scenario. Rumble and vibe at 50mph. Push in the clutch, fine. Under 50, fine. It was a bad center bearing. Take it in.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:59 AM   #6

I feel it in the seat.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

i'm not a mechanic, but i *think* that if it goes away when you decouple the motor (push in the clutch), it's on the motor side of the clutch, or the clutch itself, because everything after the clutch will still be turning at the same speed. but i could be wrong.
nielkmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #8

It would seem like that wouldnt it. Yet on my Rally car that ended up being the case. I believe it has something to do with the amount of thrust apply to a propeller shaft and the motion it is in with the bearing play coming into factor