Found the origina black oil filtrer #15208AA160 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Default Found the origina black oil filtrer #15208AA160

I found the black ones here https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=15208AA160

I'm also getting some of blue ones https://m.ebay.com/itm/301565451201?...&ul_noapp=true

Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I hope they send in the original if purchased. Some online vendors advertise the 15208AA160 but send in the 15208AA15A instead.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:54 AM   #3

I hope they send the ones that where clearly advertised.

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=15208AA160

I will advise when I find for sure. Let you know when I get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #4

Default I have confirmed these are the Black Ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruplatt View Post
The ones from partsouq.com are the real deal!
Old 09-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #5

Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #6

Default Found the origina black oil Is it possible the black one ismore restrictive?

Wow the black ones, lower photo, have a very different hole patern, 6 vs 10. Is it possible the black one is more restrictive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4133_1506728978188.jpg (76.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-30-2017, 02:23 AM   #7

Potentially. Manufacturers don’t switch over parts unless it is a way to save money or it solves an issue. Perhaps Subaru has had oiling issues? Perhaps they’ve had filtering problems? Perhaps they have encountered bad oil flow? An oil filter “brand” is generally covered by one bigger parent company. Likely what happened is subie found a manufacturer to provide the same quality that their engines require, but at a cheaper price.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:26 AM   #8

Oh. Here it is. https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru...ers-explained/

“Subaru changed the exhaust lay out of the header pipe in all of their four cylinder models to resemble the Turbo models and now all of the 4 cylinder models have the exhaust system running very close to the oil filter rather than on the turbo models. So all current production models get the small oil filter as such there is no need for Subaru to keep making available the bigger oil filter even if it would be more beneficial to your 2004 Outback or your 1992 Legacy.”

1)our oil filters are nowhere near the exhaust anymore.
2) we don’t have turbos to worry about oiling.
3) if your really concerned, just change your oil sooner.
These aren’t big problems. The people that started the mass hysteria were turbo subie owners, who’s turbo took an oil starved ****, and then seized, and then fed turbo fins to the cylinders and ate and engine. The hysteria led to the subie community “freaking out”, and the sheeple responded with “well golly, I better get me one of them black filters...”

IMIO- the black is for bonus points when you pop your hood at the track.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:07 AM   #9
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

The white Subaru OEM oil filters were made by Purolator. They are pretty much the only aftermarket brand of oil filter who was an OEM and sells an aftermarket oil filter that is identical in specs to the OEM offering.

The black Subaru OEM oil filters are made by Tokyo Roki (not to be confused by one of their competitor oil filter manufacturers, Toyo Roki, who makes certain Honda oil filters). These still continue to be shipped and equipped on many new Subaru vehicles, the 15208AA160 being the one that is usually equipped.

The blue Subaru OEM oil filters used be labeled as Honeywell oil filters with various Subaru markings. With Honeywell selling off their oil filter business, it is essentially a FRAM Extra Guard manufactured to Subaru's specifications. Unlike the Purolator aftermarket oil filter, the FRAM aftermarket oil filter does NOT meet the OEM specs.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:11 AM   #10

Okay so now I have the choice of going with the original OEM filter even though it has potentially less flow with fewer holes, although because it's slightly heavier I'm gong to speculate that like other black ones it has great dense filtration.
Maybe it's just the perfect break-in filter?

Who knows maybe the blue one hits the bypass valve more often with greater input?.
By the way the black one seems heavier and I wish I had a scale.