Ignition key issue, 2015 XV - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #1

Default Ignition key issue, 2015 XV

2015 XV, bought brand new, no issues till now, at 38K miles, occasionally can't get key out of ignition switch. Brake lights work fine, and it shifts in and out of park OK. When this occurs I restart, apply foot brake, shift out of park and then back into park, turn key to off and attempt to remove key, usually works, but sometimes have to repeat several times. Searched the web, mostly likely cause may be the Park Interlock Solenoid? Just inquiring if anyone else has had and solved this issue? Thanks

Spheresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I do recall reading about a Subaru XV owner who had the dealer replace the entire ignition switch assembly since they were having a similar issues as yours.

It's not the steering wheel interlock, is it?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 AM   #3

Default Ignition key issue

Thanks for responding, Not the steering wheel interlock, can be on flat ground straight ahead, slightly rotate wheel no improvement, the only item that seems to help is when placing in park, push hard forward into Park position and wiggle the shifter from side to side, then key releases, seems to be in the shifter control module. Going to be in Bend Oregon tomorrow, will stop at the NW largest Subaru dealer and get an opinion, will let you know what they have to say. Bought the vehicle brand new 2015, never an issue until now at 38K miles. Trying to stay positive here with Subaru! Low mileage for a problem just out of warranty..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 02:30 AM   #4

Stopped by the Dealer in Bend Oregon today, Explained problem of not being able to get the key from ACC to shut off- for removal, was told not a real common problem, but yet not un-heard of.(that right there makes me wonder?) I have narrowed it down to slightly slamming the shifter handle into park and then wiggle it side to side, key is then allowed to the lock side to be removed. Dealer commented maybe brake switch or shifter interlock. I'll let you all know what I find as solution, I certainly can't be the only one with this issue.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #5

Ironically i just joined this message board because i was having the same issue and was looking for an answer.

Going to the dealership has been disastrous. Called up the first one, explained the issue said he thought it was the parking break check line, $100

Make an appointment get there the next day suddenly says they have to change other items in the gear shift $500, need to come back the next day (seemed annoying since i had already made an appointment so left went to a different dealer)

Got there, re-explaiend the problem guy said i potentially need a ignition set? $500 + new keys

Then Calls the service guy they say just go to a locksmith, and have them re-tumble (not sure the exact quote) the number for your key. And that its just out of alignment in there.

haven't found a locksmith who does that yet, going to try my other buddies idea and get some like WD-40 for lock (they supposedly sell it at any lock smith) and see if its just something sticking.

Always same issue my crosstrek is a 2013 with 85kmiles
kasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

If you spray wd40, spray the KEY. NOT the ignition tumbler! Wd40 is conductivenand younrisk shorting A LOT of things in that area.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #7

Hello Kasim, I have found with mine, If I gently shift into park, Key won't go from ACC to LOCK, therefore can't remove key. If I shift to N position first, then pull on the shifter towards me (to the left) while at the same time shift hard into park, Key comes out every-time. Just living with it for now. May upgrade to a 2018. I believe my problem here is in the Shift Interlock solenoid Module. It gets a power signal from the brake light switch, to allow shifter to be put into and out of Park position. When shifter is put into park, the Interlock Module sends power to ignition switch to allow it into the off position and lock steering wheel. Seems there are alot of issues with this interlock solenoid on other vehicle brands also. Google and research Shift Interlock Solenoid, If i get mine fixed will let everyone know what cause was. Have a good Day!! Just to mention once again, if I can get the switch into the OFF position key comes out with no problem, my issue is cannot get switch past the ACC to OFF position without having to slam the shifter into park. I have heard there is an adjustment in the shift module, involving this solenoid, but can't find info to verify this yet.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheresman View Post
Hello Kasim, I have found with mine, If I gently shift into park, Key won't go from ACC to LOCK, therefore can't remove key....

Hmm If its just that i believe its only $100 fix, at least from talkilng to 2 dealers.

But neither thought that was the problem with my car though.
kasim is offline   Reply With Quote