Warming up the car - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Silver 5 spd manual.
Default Warming up the car

OK...I was speaking with someone last night who knows 1000 times more than I do about mechanical engines. There were 2 things that I just didn't agree with him on. The first thing was, that modern day cars don't need to warm up. (OK, maybe I am wrong about this. So I'll give it to him. (But it just doesn't make sense to me that an ice cold ANYTHING-mechanical, doesn't work better when it's at least slightly warmed.)) But OK...this guy designed compressors for airlines so he obviously knows WAY more than I do.

But then he said that letting an engine idle for long periods of time, can actually harm the engine. Now this I absolutely disagree with!!!
In the Winter I let my car sit warming up in the driveway for AT LEAST 15 mins. I just like getting in a warm car plain and simple. Have done this for the past 25 yrs with all of my cars.
Just interested in other's opinions about this.
Thanks!
Keith

keithwceb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #2

I read that certain components of your oil that protect from metal to metal contact only work after they warm up to 30-35 deg c. Mollybendium etc.

I think itís OK to drive almost immediately if itís possible to keep from jack rabbit starts, reving lower than say 4 k.

The car needs to be very warm to drive in stow storms as we often melt and defrost snow and blow fog our entire drive up here in Canada.

Driving blindly in a cold foged up car is reckless.

Iím not impressed by how much gas this car uses at idle. Iím assuming itís waisting gas warming the cats keeping the exhaust clean.
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:38 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Limited, 2016 Crosstrek Sport. Both with Eyesight.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3135401/w...ur-car-idling/

He's correct on both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 03:02 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Sport Jasmine Green Metallic

My 2014 never leaves my driveway until it has run at least 3 minutes period summer/winter . doesn't matter
And if the windoze are frosted up it idles until the windows are clear. starting your car and putting it straight into gear and driving away is stupid in my opinion. but opinions are like buttholes ...everybody has one.
The Rog Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #5
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Engine idling is, in fact, bad for engine longevity. More specifically, it punishes the oil.

I had a used engine oil sample analyzed by a laboratory, and the flashpoint was significantly lower by idling the engine warm than the other engine oil samples that were taken after a drive to warm up the engine oil.

Long idling results in increased fuel content in the engine oil, which means the engine oil mixture becomes easier to ignite.

However, my take on warming up the engine is that I find it more beneficial to warm it up by idling.

Spirited drivers like me who are VERY eager to see high load, high RPM use will find long-term benefit of idling an engine warm (versus driving the vehicle to warm up the engine), as the engine will be closer to normal operating temperatures, meaning the engine will be more likely to be at the correct tolerances intended to be operated in high load and/or high RPM use. So despite the loss of fuel efficiency and having engine oil that will likely have decreased lifespan, I consider this a good trade-off for improved engine protection under operating conditions I expect to put the engine through while actually driving.

So when it comes to efficiency, driving to warm up is best, but at the cost of avoiding high load and/or high RPM use until the engine sees normal operating temperatures. But for spirited driving, high load use, and/or high RPM use, idling an engine warm does have its benefits.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the input!
Not concerned about the oil. Even though they put in the syntho oil, I still have it changed every 3K miles.

And yes, I'm a VERY spirited driver. So warming it up, for me, is a must. (Even in the Summer months I'll let it sit for about 5 mins.)

Thanks again!
-Keith
Old 01-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #7

In my opinion, it's also good to idle and cool down (with electric fan cycles) extremely hot engines, before shutting them down.

I think this practice will minimizes distortion from uneven cooling and hot spots.
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruplatt View Post
In my opinion, it's also good to idle and cool down (with electric fan cycles) extremely hot engines, before shutting them down.

I think this practice will minimizes distortion from uneven cooling and hot spots.
Good point.
Thanks,
Keith
Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #9

I think a similar thread had some people getting pretty feisty about the subject. I utilize the blue light to signal that the motor is properly warmed. It also coincides with the revs kicking down. Knock wood, no oil consumption issues to date with 20k. Iíve never had to add as yet between changes. I had my last vehicle for over 230k, and never used more than a half a quart in all that time. I also donít thrash my car, and have no need for excessive idling. Iím going to continue my practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:56 AM   #10

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Limited, 2016 Crosstrek Sport. Both with Eyesight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge View Post
I think a similar thread had some people getting pretty feisty about the subject. I utilize the blue light to signal that the motor is properly warmed. It also coincides with the revs kicking down. Knock wood, no oil consumption issues to date with 20k. I’ve never had to add as yet between changes. I had my last vehicle for over 230k, and never used more than a half a quart in all that time. I also don’t thrash my car, and have no need for excessive idling. I’m going to continue my practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The blue coolant temp light is a good indicator to take it easy till it turns off. Just for an FYI that happens with a coolant temp of 120*F according to my ScanGauge II.