Charcoal filter delete - Page 7 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #61

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA Crosstreker View Post
So add me to the list of people who notice a difference after removing the charcoal filter. Not huge, but a difference nonetheless. With the filter in and the AC going, there were times I thought the car wouldn't be able to get up to speed to merge with traffic, or that I'd be toast if sudden acceleration were required to avoid an accident. I notice less hesitation and smoother, ever-so-slightly peppier acceleration. IMO the car is safer and more fun to drive with the filter gone.

What finally convinced me was the realization that the charcoal filter is impacting air flow every second of every mile the car is driven, but has only one purpose: to capture vapors once the engine is turned off. I agonized a bit over the environmental impact of undoing something that, I am sure, has some value to the planet in the grand scheme of things. On the other hand, I bought one of the most fuel efficient non-hybrid cars around. That has to count for something, right?
One other thing to add to this discussion. Since the filter itself is restricting airflow, and noticeably for many, as the car gets older the issue is likely to get worse. Think about it, the filter isn't changeable and will likely get dirty over time.

So happy I pulled this useless piece of crap out of my car...

geost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #62

Just wanted to add that I also notice a marked improvement in acceleration now that the summer heat is over and I am no longer running the AC all the time. In fact, on cool mornings, the engine almost feels peppy. Almost. I've also learned how best to get the CVT to respond when quick acceleration is required. Flooring the gas pedal doesn't work. An aggressive but gradual pushing on the gas pedal seems to do the trick.

Comparing the Crosstrek to other makes and models, it actually compares favorably to a few other similar vehicles as far as engine size and horsepower. Honda's HRV has a 1.8 liter engine compared to the Crosstrek's 2.0 liter engine. The Buick Encore comes with a 1.4 liter turbo that provides 138 hp compared to the Crosstrek's 148 hp, and the Encore weighs a bit more.

Sure, the Crosstrek would benefit from a few more ponies under the hood, but I'm guessing the main culprit for lackluster acceleration is the CVT. Deleting the charcoal filter helps, but only so much.
NoVA Crosstreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #63

Smile Does anyone Know the details of the 2018 engine

These engines have slightly more power than their non injected forbearers.

To be honest I'm not entirely dissatisfied with the acceleration characteristics of the 2018.

I love the way the torque converter, the cvt ,the drive by wire.. etc. all conspire to accomplish creamy smooth launches unlike anything I have yet to experience.

There is an impression is of technical perfection of luxury of refinement ...

Maybe there are ways to make these engines powerful, but I'm also sure that low friction rings for economy are only meant to handle so much PSI and the CVT only so much torque.

All that said I would love to se a dino run on a 2018 with HP and torque figures that prove this thing.

Thx
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #64

I agree S-platt -- my new 18 has slightly better acceleration than the 16 Crosstrek I traded in. It's also smoother and quieter. As a result, I'm not as desperate to find a power boost as I was in the 16.

I don't see a pzev badge or sticker anywhere on the rear of the car, nor was it mentioned on the list of features on the price sticker, not have I seen it hyped on Subaru's website for the 18 as it was in previous model years, nor do I see it listed in the index of the owner's manual. I assume the charcoal filter is still there in the 18, but Subaru doesn't seem to be drawing attention to it.

I've seen reviews of the 18 Crosstrek in other countries where, as far as I know, cars don't get pzev devices (like Canada and Australia). With or without the charcoal filter, reviewers all say the same thing: the car has adequate but not great acceleration. It's not like cars without the filter are speed demons.

I do keep coming back to one thing, though. The filter doesn't seem to be designed for easy replacement, which means that same filter will be there for the life of the car and, presumably, will do as it's intended (trap fuel vapors) and accumulate more and more gasoline residue over time. Logic dictates airflow will become more restricted as the years go by. So while I'm not inclined to delete it now, I might be tempted to do so 4-5-6 years from now.
NoVA Crosstreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 AM   #65

Default Canadian 2018 Crosstrek is pzev !

The 2018 Canadian Edition is pzev !

According to the Subaru Canada Crosstrek sales brochure.

I just saw it a couple of weeks ago at the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA Crosstreker View Post
I agree S-platt -- my new 18 has slightly better acceleration than the 16 Crosstrek I traded in. It's also smoother and quieter. As a result, I'm not as desperate to find a power boost as I was in the 16.

I don't see a pzev badge or sticker anywhere on the rear of the car, nor was it mentioned on the list of features on the price sticker, not have I seen it hyped on Subaru's website for the 18 as it was in previous model years, nor do I see it listed in the index of the owner's manual. I assume the charcoal filter is still there in the 18, but Subaru doesn't seem to be drawing attention to it.

I've seen reviews of the 18 Crosstrek in other countries where, as far as I know, cars don't get pzev devices (like Canada and Australia). With or without the charcoal filter, reviewers all say the same thing: the car has adequate but not great acceleration. It's not like cars without the filter are speed demons.

I do keep coming back to one thing, though. The filter doesn't seem to be designed for easy replacement, which means that same filter will be there for the life of the car and, presumably, will do as it's intended (trap fuel vapors) and accumulate more and more gasoline residue over time. Logic dictates airflow will become more restricted as the years go by. So while I'm not inclined to delete it now, I might be tempted to do so 4-5-6 years from now.
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote