My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream
Default Charcoal filter delete

http://youtu.be/a792MKB42pw

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default Re: Charcoal filter delete

Very good walkthrough video of how to get it out and elaborating. Thanks for uploading and sharing!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek 5sp Manual Quart Blue Pearl

Does the filter seal tight without that charcoal filter taking up some of the room between the two airbox halves? I can see it breathing better without that. But I'd be afraid of dirt getting around the filter without a tight seal.
doolin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Ltd - 2015 XV Premium

Okay ... call me Dense (Or Dennis ... whichever since they both begin with D and sound pretty much alike!) ... but why oh why would a secondary filter .... specifically a "charcoal" filter would even be needed in that air box? Is the engine so offended by odors that a charcoal filter is needed? Actually, in doing some research, it appears that this is an emissions thing (non-critical). People have been taking them off their BMWs and Mercedes for the past 3 - 4 years or so. According to one BMW forum post I read, it appears that the filter was placed there to appease the EPA and only was supposed to absorb the few cc's worth of exhaust gases that theoretically seep back out the open intake valves on any cylinders at that rotation when the motor was shut off. Go figure. Anyway, some of those folks have been running with the charcoal filter removed for 60K miles and more with no ill effects. Definitely learned something new. Glad all the BMWs I owned were prior to 1985!!!!! Now will have to look into my wife's XV's air box when I replace the engine air filter before winter!
d.r.h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek

Not on here that much, but I do lurk daily. Been following this simple mod and this morning decided to do it. Took all of 10-15 minutes. Very easy and simple.
Took the XV on the road and as simple as this mod is, did notice an increase in power and probably torque to go along with it. As an old hot rodder, wouldn't say it's "huge" but it is definately noticable. Than again,picking up 5,6,7 hp on a 148 hp engine might be considered "huge". But the biggest difference I found is that it now accelerates very smoothly. And as the OP stated, it does away with any hesitation---hit the gas and it does go without any bogging down.
Basically that charcole filter must have been intrupting the air flow alot.
Just be very careful when removing "that plug" from the unit. Thats the maf plug and inside the box that you'll remove is the maf sensor. You do not want to damage these so use a bit of care when removing them.
Getting ready to leave on a trip tomorrow, around 400 miles round trip, and when I get back Monday I'll post about any milage gains/loses and how the XV ran.I kind of expect the milage to go down a bit as now the maf sensor is going to read more air comming in and will adjust the system to add a bit more fuel.

Also, andthereyouare, I don't think you'll notice any change as far as your using high test. The gains from the air box mod involves the maf sensor which after cleaning up the airflow, getting more air, tells the computer to feed a bit more fuel for the added air. The computer as is now is set to run on 87 octane, and to take advantage of a higher octane fuel the compuret would have to be reprogramed to reset the ignition and timing. Unless the computer is reprogramed, your wasting your money. It's a higher compression engine made to run on regular. I have a Mustang GT with a tuner, and its set to run on midgrade, and actually runs better on mid and regular than high test.
Live with your air box mod, it is a good one.
Grumpaw
Grumpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013, Premium, Dark Gray Metallic

I removed ours last night. I cut the plastic rivet heads off with a utility knife. Do not know if the wife will notice any performance changes.
mifiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #8

Aside from a air intake system, that no one makes for the XV, the only other '"enhancements" I could see would be to smooth up the airflow even more. In looking at the box and the air tube from the box to the throttle body I can see two mods.
First, even after taking out the charcole filter, the back of the air box has a bunch of casting nooks and crannies that will "disrupt" the air before it flows into the tube. Thinking that cutting out and placing a piece of smooth plastic/styrene over the back of the box so the air has a smooth surface to flow over.
Second, the air tube has a large bypass or defuser at the bend just before it enters the throttle body. Its there to cut down on the "sucking" sound that you would hear if it wasen't there. Acts kind of like a muffler. Again, this would disrupt the air flow. Can't replace the entire tube because of the maf sensor plug, but I'm thinking one could cut that portion of the tube out and "splice in a smooth section of pipe.
Basically this is what an aftermarket intake system does...not so much the fancy filter they come with, but the smooth air tube they have with as few obstructions as possible to allow the air to flow smoothly.
Have to give it some thought as to doing this.

andthereyouare, I hope you don't think I'm hijacking your thread. You came up with a good, freeby type mod. I'm just kind of expanding on it a bit.
Grumpaw
Old 09-26-2014, 01:47 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek 5sp Manual Quart Blue Pearl

I still don't see how the filter will seat tightly.
doolin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #10

The regular air filter fits into a lip inside the box. When the two halves are closed its sealed. No way any debris or dirt can enter. Removing the charcoal filter has no bearing on how the box and filter are sealed. If you have never replaced your air filter, just pop the two retaining clips and pry the two halves apart and you will see how well the filter is sealed.
Grumpaw