CVT powertrain warranty extension notice - is this what's wrong with my Crosst - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > The Crosstrek Garage > Engine

Old 09-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

Default CVT powertrain warranty extension notice - is this what's wrong with my Crosst

A few weeks ago, my 2013 Crosstrek (80k miles) started sounding different. When I get coasting around 50mph and give it a little gas, there is a rumble/roar from the front. It only happens when I lightly step on the accelerator. It's not obviously loud, but I know my car and I notice it. I took it to a local (high-end imports) mechanic, but they didn't even hear what I was referring to. They kept the car a few hours and said everything seems fine...

Then I remembered I got a powertrain warranty extension notice from Subaru. I'm not exactly sure why they did that. It's not a recall, but it sounds like there is a known issue. Could it be related to the sound I hear?

I made an appointment at the Subaru dealership, but it's like $90 just to have them inspect it... I'd rather not spend that money if it's not necessary.

ergalthema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

Well, nobody was quick to respond. So, I went ahead and paid the dealership $100 to diagnose...

Supposedly, the noise comes from play in the axle that I recently replaced. I've read many other posts of people whose axles started clicking because the boot failed or something like that. Mine was replaced with an aftermarket axle (waayyyyy cheaper than Subaru). Going to contact the mechanic to see if it has any kind of warranty.

Gotta vent and say I'm pretty disappointed that I already had a rear bearing and front axle fail on this car. It's starting to feel like I'll be constantly replacing parts from now on...

Anyway, the reason for the powertrain warranty extension is some kind of valve failure that causes the engine light to come on and/or causes an obvious issue with acceleration (like it won't change gears [even though it technically never changes gears..]).
ergalthema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #3

I see a lot of people come here with problems on a 2013. That was the first year of the crosstrek right? Seems like those issues came less with each subsequent year. I never hear of folks with a 2017 complain. Hopefully, it will eventually get an update to the part so these issues go away for awhile.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2017, 11:45 PM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Most of the Subaru communities I've looked into tend to favor Subaru OEM axles over aftermarket replacement ones, despite any kind of well-covered warranty, as the hassle of a failed axle are far more annoying than paying upfront for an OEM Subaru axle.

As for the reason for powertrian warranty extension, thanks for telling us that. I'll see if I can get the same answer from my local dealerships.

« Shaky idle | - »