Exhaust system upgrade - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

My Vehicle: Orange 2015 crosstrek
Default Exhaust system upgrade

OK so we know there isn't many awesome exhaust systems specifically for the crosstrek but I totally want to upgrade mine to sound "how a subaru should sound" lol. I see that some from the impreza will fit them. I'm completely sold on the Invidia N1 Cat Back Exhaust Sound but its for a 15wrx. Think it would fit a 15 cross trek??? I'm open for suggestions of similar sounding ones.

Alyssa

The_blonde_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

So, a couple of things here. One- the xhaust on the car is pretty good. And there isn't much to gain by revamping the system from manifolds back. For a good sound, just get the right muffler. Now, second major thing is, you need to realize that our cars have equal length headers. Thus, no boxer rumble. To get the boxer rumble back you have to buy unequal length headers. A couple places sell them, actually not badly priced. And possibly there are some gains to be had there. I just wouldn't go into expecting a "seat of the pants" difference in power. Just noise.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

Also, I respect your attempt to improve the vehicle this way. Whatever you do, post a video!
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
Also, I respect your attempt to improve the vehicle this way. Whatever you do, post a video!

I'm still in the planning phase of it, I'm not sure as to which way to go with it but I love the dual tip exhausts and wanted to do something like that similar to what my sunfire had. These are the 2 I'm looking at currently. And I'm not looking to drasticly improve the power the car has, if it improves a little bit and sounds great I'm okay with it. Do you think any of these would fit it?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20170626-023823_1498459478258.png (419.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_20170626-023802_1498459485692.png (459.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Currently, there are two manufacturers who make a dual-exhaust setup for the GP-chassis Subaru XV Crosstrek and Subaru Impreza hatchback.

STI makes one, but sacrifices departure angle (does not require cutting rear bumper).

SYMS also makes one, which does not sacrifice departure angle but does require cutting the rear bumper to fit.

A quote straight from my journal is below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
After a bit of window-shopping on JapanParts.com, I found yet another temptation...

Unlike the STI exhaust, the SYMS exhaust does NOT sacrifice departure angle. However, it seems to be possibly incompatible with hitch receivers.

The SYMS exhaust is a dual-outlet muffler which also requires cutting of the bumper and ideally would be best finished with the SYMS exhaust rear garnish to retain a good appearance.

http://syms.jp/wp-content/uploads/20...fler-gpxv3.jpg

http://syms.jp/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DSC_15442.jpg
Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #6

I think I found the one or something similar I'm going to go with. Its for a Wrx but looks like it will work without problems

Quote:
Currently, there are two manufacturers who make a dual-exhaust setup for the GP-chassis Subaru XV Crosstrek and Subaru Impreza hatchback.

STI makes one, but sacrifices departure angle (does not require cutting rear bumper).

SYMS also makes one, which does not sacrifice departure angle but does require cutting the rear bumper to fit.

A quote straight from my journal is below.

Quote:
After a bit of window-shopping on JapanParts.com, I found yet another temptation...

Unlike the STI exhaust, the SYMS exhaust does NOT sacrifice departure angle. However, it seems to be possibly incompatible with hitch receivers.

The SYMS exhaust is a dual-outlet muffler which also requires cutting of the bumper and ideally would be best finished with the SYMS exhaust rear garnish to retain a good appearance.

http://syms.jp/wp-content/uploads/20...fler-gpxv3.jpg

http://syms.jp/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DSC_15442.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20170626-235536_1498550657785.png (324.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2016 Subaru XV S CVT Crystal White

And those rear garnish exhaust tip thingy's are REALLY EXPENSIVE from that Place Syms I think the deal is you need to buy their exhaust to get the Garnish thingy's as they aint sold separately unlike https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/46548 which are still very expensive

I see your vision Blonde one as I want to do this too but for aesthetic and Suby Burble not expecting any gains in power unless I retune my ECU....but im under warranty still as my baby is less than a year old

Check out threads elsewhere about swapping out original and swapping in BRZ, WRX STI stock units its been happening and plenty youtube vids too

I got quoted $450 AU for a new system from cat back in mild steel with a new hot dog center rezi (resonator) and a twin barrel rear set up that comes out under rear garnish area without cutting.....he talked about back pressure etc and the sound would be quite impressive, thats magnaflow muffler trumpet thingy's not sure. I really like the stock look on the XV on the link above with those garnish overlays though pity subaru didnt do a stock dual out like some other models

Unequal headers will give a better burble but at greater cost and no real gains as far as aI have researched...a better sounding exhaust still will be better than stock fart sound its very flaccid sounding and hidden exhaust pipe........cringe

but do love my XV just needs a little personalization thats all
Joffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:40 AM   #8

I'm totally doing the exhaust this weekend, I just got the exhaust, the borla cat back. My XV is still under warranty for another 4 years but I found ways around it to customize it. I asked the dealership if the one I was looking at would void anything and they told me as long as you dont touch the headers your OK with a catback.

I was also set on the duals. I wish they would have had it as stock like you said. Once the warranty is up on it I plan to modify it more then what I'm doing to it now. There's to many orange crosstreks in my area, I feel like mine has to stand out a bit you know lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffa View Post
And those rear garnish exhaust tip thingy's are REALLY EXPENSIVE from that Place Syms I think the deal is you need to buy their exhaust to get the Garnish thingy's as they aint sold separately unlike https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/46548 which are still very expensive

I see your vision Blonde one as I want to do this too but for aesthetic and Suby Burble not expecting any gains in power unless I retune my ECU....but im under warranty still as my baby is less than a year old

Check out threads elsewhere about swapping out original and swapping in BRZ, WRX STI stock units its been happening and plenty youtube vids too

I got quoted $450 AU for a new system from cat back in mild steel with a new hot dog center rezi (resonator) and a twin barrel rear set up that comes out under rear garnish area without cutting.....he talked about back pressure etc and the sound would be quite impressive, thats magnaflow muffler trumpet thingy's not sure. I really like the stock look on the XV on the link above with those garnish overlays though pity subaru didnt do a stock dual out like some other models

Unequal headers will give a better burble but at greater cost and no real gains as far as aI have researched...a better sounding exhaust still will be better than stock fart sound its very flaccid sounding and hidden exhaust pipe........cringe

but do love my XV just needs a little personalization thats all
Old 06-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2016 Subaru XV S CVT Crystal White

AWESOME Blonde One keep us updated in post and pic form if you dont mind......

mmmm might have a chat with my dealer to see if the warranty is ok like yours said....although USA - AU it might be a different story they can be real uptight here in AU but Ill ask non the less......as Id like to do a dual out with those exy flange garnish thingys (about $450 posted) for those form Japan parts......

yikers
Joffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Its worth a shot you know? There will definitely be pics up once its done