FB engine oil consumption TSB - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #11

Thanks for the post. Appreciate your time and effort. I'm at 4 k, and already have my supplies to do the first change at 5. I always check my levels and so far so good. I also drive a CVT. I broke mine in as specified, and also used Zmax. Some people could claim it's snake oil, but I've used it for years. I'm also going to use Royal Purple with a Subie filter. Somebody replied to one of the posts I also did, and claimed he broke his in like he stole it, and never followed guidelines or even waited for the blue light to go off before thrashing on it. Claims his Trek has been bulletproof so far. That makes me feel confident in our cars, but isn't going to change my habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 03:09 AM   #12

My Vehicle: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek, Sunshine Orange

I use Mobil 1 in my vehicles. I used it since I bought my first vehicle purchase which was back in 1996, and never had an issue with any engine problems. I was told by someone at a Subaru dealer that you can drive with the blue light on, just take it slow and easy because the engine is not up to the normal operating temperature and the heat / air conditioner won't run properly until the blue light goes out. He said it won't harm anything if you turn on your AC or heat and the blue light is still on.
jmen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Despite the conditions I exhibit my XV Crosstrek to, I will soon begin my engine oil consumption test. Even though my consumption is less than 1 U.S. quart per 1200 miles, I will take advantage of the extended warranty from the lawsuit.
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Just to update the thread, yes I did get a new shortblock, and consumes significantly less engine oil under pretty much the same conditions. The new engine is a massive improvement.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:30 AM   #15

buy breaks, its way cheaper than a $6k transmission...
Deal Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deal Breaker View Post
buy breaks, its way cheaper than a $6k transmission...
What?

If you're implying prioritizing using service brakes over engine braking, that is the wrong answer if on steep downgrades.

Service brakes should be kept cool by minimizing their use during downhill driving. This will improve panic-stop capabilities. Life is priority over monetary savings.

But I have had no transmission issues despite my very-frequent engine braking. But then, I do have the proven-reliable 5-speed manual, and I know how to actually use one (honestly, most American drivers don't know how to use one properly).
Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #17

Yeah I don't know if this guy posted in the right thread.... referencing braking and transmissions in an oil consumption thread...
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen88 View Post
I use Mobil 1 in my vehicles. I used it since I bought my first vehicle purchase which was back in 1996, and never had an issue with any engine problems. I was told by someone at a Subaru dealer that you can drive with the blue light on, just take it slow and easy because the engine is not up to the normal operating temperature and the heat / air conditioner won't run properly until the blue light goes out. He said it won't harm anything if you turn on your AC or heat and the blue light is still on.
Buh. Garbage. That blue light is for the cold start emissions burn off. Start the car on a cold day, give it a few minutes, and drive it like you stole it.
On a hot day I don't even let it idle.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote