Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

CVT problem

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Subarust 
#1 ·
So, I had a strange fluttering sound happening at slow speeds like 10 to 15 mph. I have no idea what it is but I kinda thought it might be the trans. So I take it to the dealer and sure enough its coming from the trans. They tell me they want to keep it and look at it tomorrow since they were closing soon. I said okay, I guess I don't have much choice. They had no loner vehicles for me so I had to call for a ride. They call me back the next day and tell me I need a new trans...Im like okay...( my bumper to bumper is up but I still have power train warranty) so they say they don't know when they can get a new trans they would let me know as soon as they can figure it out. They have a loner car but I am unable to get to them before they close, so the guy I was talking to said just to call before to make sure we had one when I did come to get it. I called 3 to 4 times for the next 4 days I either got no answer hung up on or just put on hold forever. Finally saturday at like 3pm they say yes we have one well they close at 4pm I wouldn't have been able to make it. I asked could you hold it for me ill be there monday, OH yeah no problem....Its monday no car...OH but my trans came in they can put it in tomorrow and have it done later that day or early the day after..So I said good and This is a new trans right not a rebuild..no..its a rebuild...well ya should have told me that to begin with. So I ask the guy what is the warranty on this rebuilt trans. He tells me 12 months. Now how does this make sense my car is a 2014 with 35,000 miles on it that has had all its routine maintenance completed. They have a faulty trans in it which the guy said it looked like it was tampered. That couldn't have been me! Now they want to stick me with a rebuild and give me a 12 month warranty thats so unacceptable and I'm so upset with subaru.

Sorry for the rant guys I'm just so stressed out.

Also sorry if this is hard to read. Have you guys had any issues like this? Let me know your story and what happened.

See less See more
#2 ·
Red flag #1: when they said they "couldn't get one immediately"
Red flag #2: couldn't provide a loaner car day of.
Red flag #3: they didn't offer to contact SoA for you on your behalf.
Red flag #4: your "1yr warranty" on that transmission is still valid THROUGH your powertrain warranty.
Red flag #5: rebuilt tranny.
Red flag #6: they tell you it's been tampered with. By who? Is this a one owner car?

#4 ·
Okay, a couple things.

1). I would DEMAND that the transmission be warranted for the life of the powertrain warranty. It likely already is, but the person you talked to just spouted off the normal answer, not one tailored to your situation. But definitely get clarification. And if not, let them know you'll be talking to SoA (Subaru of America). Every car brand out there has bad dealers. But from what I've read and heard, dealing directly with SoA has always been a pleasant experience and meets or exceeds desired results.

2). If it was "tampered" with, I'd guess someone drained the wrong plug during an oil change. Pretty common mistake apparently. The forums are plagued with posts about it. And that could also be the cause of your issue. If a shop accidentally drained the trans, then filled it up with whatever ATF they had at the shop and never told you, the ATF they used likely wasn't one designed for use in the Subaru Lineartronic CVT, which DOES take a special blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I have heard of SoA installing rebuilt trans or motors. Sometimes it's a good thing. They will rework the guts so a known issue goes away. A "rebuilt" anything doesn't mean it's bad, or will go bad. It simply means it was taken back, inspected, reworked to fix any known issues, and sent back out for install. We do it on cars all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.