Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

CVT / transmission fluid and filter change frequency?

59K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  dlopan 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm still in research mode, but wanted to ask this question. I'm coming out of my first car with a CVT (2011 Honda Insight), and the recommended transmission fluid change (filter too) is approx. every 30,000 miles. Many of the experienced Insight owners know that you really need to change the CVT / transmission fluid & filter approx. every oil change to possibly every other oil change. I've had the car for three years now and it's really obvious when the fluid and filter need changing.... very rough acceleration in cold weather and sort of a pulsing type acceleration under other conditions. Once the CVT / transmission fluid and filter are changed, it's like a new car. Just wondering if any of you have experienced this type of malady with the CVT in the Crosstrek. I don't mind having to change the CVT / transmission fluid and filter at this frequency, but would just like to know if it's a problem going in.

Thanks in advance.
dieselnine

#4 ·
Their are some people that mistakenly drained the CVT fluid instead of motor oil. I've talked to a mechanic about this there's a plug on the passenger side of the transmission casing. It's ether a 8 or 10 mm hex female socket, to check it car not running on level surface unscrew plug. At about 103 degrees fluid should be at the bottom/level of hole. http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/cvt_fluid.pdf

Attachments

#5 ·
Old thread, but...

The Lineartronic CVT has no service interval for the filter.

Severe duty conditions: CVT fluid replacement every 24,855 miles (40,000 km)

CVT fluid filter is a maintenance-free part, replace only if filter is physically damaged

#6 · (Edited)
The following is just MY opinion and experience on this subject:

For many years i would ask other car owners and mechanics about changing out the transmission fluid in their automatic transmissions. It seemed like a huge fear to many owners/mechanics to change out the ATF in their automatics. I would buy the shop manual for the car and in it, it would explain how to do it. It really wasn't a "Deep dark secret" nor nuclear fusion. Obviously the transmission was filled at the factory. Oil/ATF/CVT "fluid" (what ever) does eventually get "used" and some worn out and gets dirt, tiny metal particles, etc in it. The hardest part in the past has been draining the transmission in cars that had no drain plug; and had to pull the pan off very slowly and carefully. The XV has a drain plug so I pulled it and drained the fluid, and dropped the pan. Cleaned the pan, install the cleaned out "screen/filter" (like most auto transmissions it is a screen not a filter and at $60 some dollars @ Subaru I flushed mine out), blew it out dry and re-installed. Then used rtv on the pan, re-installed and filled to the bottom of the filler plug on the left side of the transmission. Put the filler plug in started the car let it warm up ran it thru the gears, put it in park and re-checked the filler plug. (The shop manual said the fluid has to be at the bottom level of the filler plug). Added some more, ran it through the gears and re-checked and as the car was running (manual says you check with engine running), and filled till the fluid was coming out of the filler hole. Job is done!!
In case you are wondering, yes I had the car jacked up and level. The inside of the CVT is interesting because other than the screen/filter there isn't hardly anything there other than the CVT pulley's, chain and they are covered by a metal cover. (Pic 1). The filler plug is shown in(pic2).

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
No I didn't take a pic of the "strainer/filter, sorry. BUT there is a picture of it on this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34hS9691L04 He shows it at about 2:16 or so in the video. Here is an interesting video on CVT fluid for non Subies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkdY-Ty_4o

And as far as being brave, well thank you, I just believed the CVT isn't as difficult or as "magically impossible" to work on. It is only a mechanical device with some electrical and electronic controls NOT any mystery or even as difficult as "differential equations".

And yes you are correct the filler plug is the one on the lower side of the transmission, left side of the car as one sits in it. The plug near the two electronic plugs.

#10 ·
Believe it or not, a CVT is far simpler in theory of operation and component complexity than a conventional planetary gearset automatic transmission.

You are indeed correct in believing the CVT isn't all that difficult to work on. As someone who's taken apart a conventional planetary gearset 4-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission, I assure you that service technicians will probably not miss the old-fashioned conventional automatic transmissions.

#11 ·
AWDFREAK you are correct!! I helped a guy take a Ford four-speed automatic apart and what a nightmare besides the fact the thing was incredibly heavy!! But yeah it had like a million pieces inside. The Subie CVT does have an electronic control module o the top of the transmission, but that wasn't in the way of what I did. Super-Simple tranny!!

#14 ·
Boy are there some varying opinions on cvt' so... I've been to 2 subaru dealers and 2 private transmission shops, all 4 have had the same response that subaru cvt transmissions are not repairable. Each of the 4 has also stated there are no new transmissions but rather re-manufactured cvt's in an old casing. I've had estimates from $5800 to $6600 depending on the provider. Each offered a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on same...

#16 ·
As someone who has almost overheated a CVT, it is a wise decision to prioritize monitoring transmission fluid temperature over engine coolant temperature. I wish Subaru offered something like a towing package that would give us a factory auxiliary CVT fluid cooler.

#17 ·
Don't you have a extra cooler? I monitor my cvt temp more than colon at because it's higher . Our stock cooler is not water to air it's just air correct? I know quite a few transmission shops and they say Subaru transmissions are the best cvt. They don't see too many issues with them. Just keep them cool.

#20 ·
CTV Fluid

I went to the Subaru Dealer for 2015 Crosstrek to find out what fluid to use. they said it took 4 to 6 quarts at 16.45 a quart the fluid is orange. It is very temperature sensitive and need a scan tool to check it. The photos were very helpful. Is this something a weekend mechanic should avoid? I would think you can just measure what you take out and put that amount back in at the same temp. I am trying to save money and do not want to ruin the transmission.

#24 ·
When my 2014 crosstrek's transmission threw the p2764 and p700 codes at 116k miles, I called a transmission place here in Abq and yes they do work on it and yes they can change the fluid. I got subaru to thrown in 1,000 to the repair so I only had to pay 750. The valve body died. Probably due to heat and yes the dealer had changed the oil earlier so I was not a happy camper. These cars need a cooler but I am unsure what to use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.