Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Diff lockdowns

10K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  RallyeBourne 
#1 ·
Hey,

Does anyone know if the Differential Lockdown kits for other Subarus fit on 2017 Crosstrek? I would also like to do shifter bushings, engine/transmission mounts as well, but I haven't come across anything labeled as compatible on the crosstrek.
While I haven't done any extensive searching for this stuff, I have looked around a little & I've pretty much come up with nothing.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Randall

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, RallyeBourne.

I have found out that the 2015+ WRX Perrin & Group N transmission mounts will go right into the Crosstrek. We can also use the Whiteline positive shift kit (bushings for transmission mount).
I am going to get under my car and look, but I am pretty sure we'll be able to use the Kartboy or the Torque Solutions (I don't remember which one or both are similar) rear diff/subframe lockdowns.

I'll find this stuff, I just thought maybe someone already would know. I find it completely amazing that no one has been interested in using this type of stuff on the Crosstrek. It all will make a good difference in drivability with the car.
I am thinking soon, I'm going to make another thread with a compiled list of compatible parts. Yes...because I'm the dude that's going to be trying/using this stuff.
Anyways, thanks again & any info/help is still appreciated.

Randall

#4 · (Edited)
If you're referring to this:

* Whiteline Positive Traction Kit, Rear Diff Replacement P/N KDT905

I actually have that installed on my XV Crosstrek. 100% fitment.

The Subaru R160 driveline has hardly changed since the 1970's, so despite the compatibility listings you see on the web, an overwhelming majority of the driveline components with R160 AWD Subaru vehicles are compatible and interchangeable with each other, including the 2nd generation Subaru XV.

#5 ·
Hey AWDfreak,

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the Kartboy rear diff/carrier wedge lock system, Group N transmission mount and the whiteline gearbox positive shift kit. I am pretty positive it's all going to be a good fit.
At the same time, I find it completely ridiculous that these vendors don't list these parts as compatible for our cars. I mean how f*%king hard would it be for them?!?!?!?!?!? Seriously...I'm still going to be adding stuff to the car, I am by no means finished with driveline/suspension upgrades. I will be emailing these idiots I buy these parts from to try to get them to list the stuff as compatible for the Crosstrek.
These cars are nice cars and they're definitely nice stock, but I think they can definitely benefit from some aftermarket parts. Then again, I'm like all about it! Some people just don't think like that and/or have any desire to slightly mod their crosstrek.
Once again, I appreciate the reply and info about the driveline in our cars.

Thanks

Randall

#6 ·
Hey AWDfreak,

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the Kartboy rear diff/carrier wedge lock system, Group N transmission mount and the whiteline gearbox positive shift kit. I am pretty positive it's all going to be a good fit.
At the same time, I find it completely ridiculous that these vendors don't list these parts as compatible for our cars. I mean how f*%king hard would it be for them?!?!?!?!?!? Seriously...I'm still going to be adding stuff to the car, I am by no means finished with driveline/suspension upgrades. I will be emailing these idiots I buy these parts from to try to get them to list the stuff as compatible for the Crosstrek.
These cars are nice cars and they're definitely nice stock, but I think they can definitely benefit from some aftermarket parts. Then again, I'm like all about it! Some people just don't think like that and/or have any desire to slightly mod their crosstrek.
Once again, I appreciate the reply and info about the driveline in our cars.

Thanks

Randall
I've been asking sites to properly list models that still fit such products, but found my own efforts futile.

All the Cusco products, as well as the Subimods Fire Extinguisher bracket listed for 2015 WRX/WRX STI, I did what I could for both manufactures and vendors to list all applicable models... not a single one has appropriately fixed their listings, still only listing the models with most attention (WRX, WRX STI, etc). I even wrote reviews on one of the sites as confirmed purchases and even cited the Japanese model fitment list but no American sites really care enough to make additional sales on XV Crosstrek models.

So I know all too well that position of searching for applicable products that fit, but don't list fitment :eek:

#7 ·
Hey AWDfreak,

Ok, so maybe I'll just not bother with trying to "help out the community" if it's already been wasted time for others.
I got the Kartboy rear differential carrier wedge, Group N transmission mount and the whiteline positive shift kit today. The rear subframe bushings that come with the rear diff wedge system most definitely do not fit the crosstrek. The differential lock down part worked, so not really a big deal to me. Of course the transmission mount/positive shift kit went in perfectly.
There is a little more noise and slight additional vibration (barely noticeable), but it definitely feels better. You can most definitely hear the transmission & rear differential working.
I'll check back in with what I decide to do next. Probably an Ecohitch...Track day/race season is getting really close, so that's more than likely up next. I'll probably order some window rain guard things (whatever they're called). I'm thinking Weathertech for those.They look nice and no double sided tape. That stuff has nothing to do with driveline/suspension upgrades though. So I'll save everyone the boredom and skip over that stuff.
Until next time...

#9 ·
Yeah, It's the subframe. I took one bottom bolt loose because it looked like they would go in there. The bushings from the Kartboy kit would have slid in there, but the Subaru bushings in the subframe aren't "deep" enough for the Kartboy bushing to go. It looked so close I actually stuck the thing in there and started to tighten it back up. It started to just deform and go all wacky...,...,...loosened it back up and took it out. They definitely aren't going in the top. It's close, but they just don't fit correctly. I wasn't really bothered with it, I gave it a try just because they were in the package and I was under the car already.
Like I said before, the stuff I installed feels good. There is a little bit of sound...on acceleration it sounds pretty cool...deceleration, not so much. If I wouldn't have driven it afterwards with the radio/hvac off I wouldn't have even heard the difference.
Since they're cheap, I'll probably do the driveshaft carrier bushings and a master cylinder brace too. I'll just order them to show up with my hitch & do it all at the same time. That will get me through the summer of dragging the race bike all over the place (Barber, VIR, PIRC, NCM & most definitely Mid Ohio).

Have a good one, man

#10 ·
Just for the sake of trying things out, I ordered some Torque Solutions carrier bearing bushings. Of course they fit right in and all is well. Bad part, the stock bushings I believe are pressed together. You aren't going to get any kind of press in the little room you do have in the "tunnel", so I took a cut-off wheel to the stock bushings. If you want to do this you need to get the heat shield for the exhaust out of the way (it'll come out without dropping anything).

#12 ·
I agree completely. Everything I've used (rear diff lockdowns, pitch stop, transmission mount, positive shift kit bushings, carrier bearing bushings) have all been parts made for 2015+ WRX. I'm trying to find out about motor mounts (group n) at the moment. I've ran stiffer engine mounts in other cars and the results are definitely welcome. I just can't confirm part numbers/fitment from fa20 to fb20 for the mounts as of yet.
I also know that we can use the rear diff cradle bushings from a 2015+ WRX, I just haven't gotten around to ordering a set. I need a ball joint press (kit) to get the stock out, new into the rear diff cradle. It's coming & I'll post up when I get it done.

#14 ·
I know this, I used to have a 2015 WRX. VERY...very different engines. What I was getting at was I think the motor mounts will work for the FB. If they do work, you guys will know about it, because they'll be going in my Crosstrek.
I'll report back when I find out. Until then...,...,...

#16 ·
Hey AWDfreak,
what's happening', man?.?.?
I think they'll work too, so much so that I'm about ready to just get a set of group n mounts and try it. I tried to cross reference part numbers, vehicles, FB25, FB20, FA20,etc, etc. I keep coming up with different part numbers, however the pictures of the mounts look the same. They're all pictures from a different angle though. It's almost like someone doesn't want you to know that this stuff is interchangeable...,...,...whatever the endgame may be with that.
When I find out I'll post up if it's a go or not.

#17 ·
Anyone know if the intake manifold is different? I know the heads are to accommodate the DI, but if the port design is similar, there could be gains from getting a better intake setup. Although, the FA motor is all peak and lower torque. In fact, that engine makes 200hp, but only 150tq, and we need torque for the awd. But, if it flows better throughout the RPM band, it would be worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.