Impreza engine management? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Default Impreza engine management?

From what i understand the Crosstrek has the same internals as the Impreza, correct? Does that mean that all of the engine management solutions available for Impreza/WRX's will be useable on the Crosstrek?

If so, will they really do anything to improve performance? i've never put a tuning chip on a non-aspirated engine before...

thanks!!

AWDking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default Re: Impreza engine management?

The older turbocharged offerings from Subaru are all EJ turbo engines.

The XV uses the 3rd generation engine block, the FB engine. The only ECU that you could even consider from a turbo motor is the FA DIT. But that's a no go, as using an ECU for a non-turbo isn't optimal.

Engine management tuning tends to be very much expensive and time-consuming. Upgrading the power on the non-turbo-only FB engine would require at least new cams for a decent bump in power. Any aftermarket solutions for the FB motor are probably going to have to be custom-done, as the non-turbo performance community for Subarus is very lacking.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak
The older turbocharged offerings from Subaru are all EJ turbo engines.

The XV uses the 3rd generation engine block, the FB engine. The only ECU that you could even consider from a turbo motor is the FA DIT. But that's a no go, as using an ECU for a non-turbo isn't optimal.

Engine management tuning tends to be very much expensive and time-consuming. Upgrading the power on the non-turbo-only FB engine would require at least new cams for a decent bump in power. Any aftermarket solutions for the FB motor are probably going to have to be custom-done, as the non-turbo performance community for Subarus is very lacking.
Wow, thanks, the more you know. I kinda assumed there would be a preexisting ECU solution for the Crosstrek as well. Sounds like it won't really be an option, though, unless, of of course, they bring the turbo Crosstrek to the states.

Thanks for the info, you seem to know a lot about Subarus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #4

Ah, shoot...that's disappointing. i wonder what kind of power mods will be available for the Crosstrek, if any?

edit - What I am actually more interested in is TORQUE over HP
AWDking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCrosstrek

Wow, thanks, the more you know. I kinda assumed there would be a preexisting ECU solution for the Crosstrek as well. Sounds like it won't really be an option, though, unless, of of course, they bring the turbo Crosstrek to the states.

Well, the FB engine is new, and unlike how the EJ engine was the do-all boxer-4 for Subaru, Subaru has segregated the 3rd generation engines (obviously, FB for economy, FA for performance).
Let's hope there will be at least a little bit of a market for the non-turbo Subaru engines like the old non-turbo EJ did (you can still buy performance camshafts for naturally-aspirated EJ engines).

The turbo XV Crosstrek is only available in a BOXER turbo Diesel variant. Of course, that means better fuel effciency and ample torque. Based off of a quote I saw on cars101.com (if I recall correctly), the idea of a turbo diesel engine sold in North America hasn't died off yet.

And thanks! I don't know all that much, but I try to learn more and more! Too bad the local Subaru dealerships don't want me to work for them, but maybe someday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDking
Ah, shoot...that's disappointing. i wonder what kind of power mods will be available for the Crosstrek, if any?

Probably easy stuff like intake and exhaust... if there's enough interest. But if aftermarket cams become available for the FB20, I would be stoked!

As for the torque over HP, let's all hope that Subaru of America can get the turbo diesel Subaru BOXER engine passed through California emissions and an OK from the higher-ups!!!

Because with a boxer turbo diesel, we'll get:

* better fuel efficiency (than gasoline counterpart, though less HP than a comparable turbo gasoline)
* better torque makes for better towing and off-roading

And I really do NOT mean to spam, but if any of you fellow Subaru enthusiasts are interested in a diesel, contact Subaru of America (via e-mail or phone) and let them know there IS a market for turbo diesel Subarus! ;D
Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCrosstrek

Well, the FB engine is new, and unlike how the EJ engine was the do-all boxer-4 for Subaru, Subaru has segregated the 3rd generation engines (obviously, FB for economy, FA for performance).
Let's hope there will be at least a little bit of a market for the non-turbo Subaru engines like the old non-turbo EJ did (you can still buy performance camshafts for naturally-aspirated EJ engines).

The turbo XV Crosstrek is only available in a BOXER turbo Diesel variant. Of course, that means better fuel effciency and ample torque. Based off of a quote I saw on cars101.com (if I recall correctly), the idea of a turbo diesel engine sold in North America hasn't died off yet.

And thanks! I don't know all that much, but I try to learn more and more! Too bad the local Subaru dealerships don't want me to work for them, but maybe someday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDking

Probably easy stuff like intake and exhaust... if there's enough interest. But if aftermarket cams become available for the FB20, I would be stoked!

As for the torque over HP, let's all hope that Subaru of America can get the turbo diesel Subaru BOXER engine passed through California emissions and an OK from the higher-ups!!!

Because with a boxer turbo diesel, we'll get:

* better fuel efficiency (than gasoline counterpart, though less HP than a comparable turbo gasoline)
* better torque makes for better towing and off-roading

And I really do NOT mean to spam, but if any of you fellow Subaru enthusiasts are interested in a diesel, contact Subaru of America (via e-mail or phone) and let them know there IS a market for turbo diesel Subarus! ;D
Yeah, the turbo diesel would be pretty badass. If I remember correctly it adds something like only ~3HP but almost 100ft/lb torque over the N/A engine and everyone says it is a blast to drive.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #7

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek Premium

Well, at the risk of making people cringe, one could always fit a turbocharger kit on the Crosstrek, after the fact. Presuming that A) there is enough room in the engine bay, and B) someone actually makes one. It won't be as efficient as an engine designed to function with one, either, but it is still a vague possibility.
Errant Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant
Well, at the risk of making people cringe, one could always fit a turbocharger kit on the Crosstrek, after the fact. Presuming that A) there is enough room in the engine bay, and B) someone actually makes one. It won't be as efficient as an engine designed to function with one, either, but it is still a vague possibility.
It's very risky, but I do believe there is enough room to fit a turbo in there.

And although the internals of the non-turbo-only FB engine can't compare to the internals of an engine fully designed for a turbocharger, the FB engines actually have a similar compression ratio to the FA20 DIT motor (as far as I recall).
Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #9

How about lightweight pulleys? That should make the acceleration a bit better.
Tech707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek Silver

I doubt there would be a market for EM for this car. But who knows, maybe Cobb will do an AP for the NA FB Motor since it's in the BRZ.
spyder720 is offline   Reply With Quote