Throttle Happy Tuning - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Site Team

Default Throttle Happy Tuning

Well, it saddens me to have to write this, but ignored emails have left me no choice. I am DONE with Matt at Throttle Happy.

When I purchased the tuning solution, it was agreed upon that I wanted an 87 tune, a 91 tune, and an e85 tune. While the 87 and 91 tunes seem to function fine, the e85 does not. The first iteration was met with popping a code and running dangerously lean when switching to "open loop." So I went back to one of the other tunes, and emailed Matt about the lean issue. He tells me it could be fuel filter so I replace that. Nope, tell him that's not the issue. He tells me he'll send me a revised tune. MONTHS later, he sent me the revised tune, saying that should fix the issue. I load it up, all seems great until I hit a NOTICEABLE loss of power when I hit "open loop" and lo and behold, it's running dangerously lean again. Only this time, the code doesn't come up... I even continued running it for double the amount of time as the first time, and still no code. I reload one of the other tunes, and email Matt. No response. Weeks go by and my mind gets to turning... So I load up the first tune and note my AFR's using my ScanGauge. Then I load the second tune and note the AFR's. Same. Damn. Numbers. So I can't seem to come up with any other conclusion except that he just simply disabled the lean code in the ECU so I wouldn't notice the car running lean. Which severely upsets me because running that lean on e85 is just begging for a blown motor. And he knowingly attempted to allow me to run my motor in those dangerously lean conditions. I have emailed him multiple times about this and have not received a response. The last one was two weeks ago. And by the way, my emails have not been scathing, rude, or anything of the sort. Here is my most recent for example.

So he's not just ignoring some guy acting like a dick. He's ignoring a respectful but concerned customer that has given him every opportunity to rectify his mistakes.

So yeah, I'm done with him and Throttle Happy. And sadly, I hope others follow suit. I really wanted to like him and I loved having a tuning solution available for the FB20, but I just simply cannot risk running a subpar tune with band-aid fixes to "shut me up." I am going to have Delicious Tuning load up their tune in my car in a few weeks. The benefits to them are, first and foremost, they are local so any issues can be resolved in a timeframe measured in days and not months, and their tune is scaleable, so it adjusts fueling and timing based on octane rating so no need to run separate tunes. Unfortunately, I will be losing e85. But hell, it's not like I have that right now either.

Matt Mcleod, I know you come onto forums every so often. If you come across this, I sure hope you have a good reason for just disabling my lean code rather than actually fixing the tune. If you can explain that to me in truth and provide me with a usable e85 tune that you promised me, I'll gladly take all of this back. But until then, I won't be running your tunes, and hope many others follow my footsteps. Your customers deserve better. Don't promise lifetime service if you cannot provide it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 05 STi

Did you have to install a larger fuel pump or injectors for the E85? I know with the wrx/sti that is basically a must.

I have an E85 map right now on my STi and im running 1300cc injectors over the stock 465cc (I think thats what they were). If I remember right, the smallest injectors was an 850cc to run corn.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
Did you have to install a larger fuel pump or injectors for the E85? I know with the wrx/sti that is basically a must.

I have an E85 map right now on my STi and im running 1300cc injectors over the stock 465cc (I think thats what they were). If I remember right, the smallest injectors was an 850cc to run corn.

We do not have to upgrade pump or injectors, according to a couple different sources. You do with the STi due to the forced induction. More air = more fuel needed. (I assume you know this, just mentioning for those that come across this in the future.)

I know that the stock pump/injectors flow enough, because watching the flow rate via ScanGauge showed that the flow rate at a specific RPM and MAF Reading was significantly lower during "Open Loop" conditions than the same RPM and MAF Readings during "Closed Loop" operation.

With that said, I was planning on replacing the pump with the AEM 320lph E85 pump pretty soon if the tune worked. I used that pump on my old modified B5 and it was really good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #4

Ive got the same pump in my STi and its been great.

How come Delicious doesnt offer E85?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
Ive got the same pump in my STi and its been great.

How come Delicious doesnt offer E85?

They offer a full flexfuel kit to run E85, and it scales tuning based on ethanol content. But it's an add-on. And one I just can't justify spending the money on, at least right now.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #6

Yea makes sense. They've had that out for a while now. Ive been waiting on Cobb to release theirs for the GD subaru body since ive already got an AccessPort for tuning.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

That is most unfortunate the communication became one-sided.

Let us know how it plays out, assuming they get back to you ever. Also, let us know how Delicious Tuning does their business when you get to that stage.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Sadly, I have an update, and not a good one.

While bored yesterday, I created a definition file for RomRaider and opened up the e85 file. Here is what I found:

Yes, that is the code I was getting on the original tune that I was not getting on the latest tune. And yes, it is turned off.

This is after he responded to my thread on the other forum:

Clearly, this was a lie. He did, indeed, turn off the code for running lean. Which is not only a shady business move, it is also very dangerous to operate a motor in lean conditions, ESPECIALLY while running e85.

I think this is simply a case in which he underestimated his customer. First, he assumed that I did not have a wideband gauge to watch my AFR. then when called on it, he doubled down and lied, assuming a could not create a definition file and open the tune in RomRaider.

Shameful business practices, and I STRONGLY suggest people think twice before giving him your money. I was willing to listen before, but his blatant lie has changed that.

For the record, I did send him a screenshot of the code turned off and asked for an explanation, has gone unreturned for 24hrs now. I'm not expecting to ever get a response.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #9

Damn... times like this I'm glad I stay stock. For safety sake I would pull your plugs and read them. If you ash whiteness you know it's gotten dangerously lean and it might be time for a lawsuit. (No idea how that works when it's a business overseas...)
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

wow thats super shady