Best all-weather tire for mpg - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Default Best all-weather tire for mpg

Hi! The tires on my new Subaru are pretty worn and I intend to replace them at the end of summer. I want all weather tires (changing them in/out seasonally is annoying to me) and I'm primarily a city street/highway driver so off-road isn't an issue. I've heard about various tires affecting mpg and I'd like to have something that doesn't impact the good mileage I'm currently getting. Any suggestions?

(P.S. I know I can't have it all, but frugal options are great too!)

cnmne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

It's simple, you can search for LRR (low rolling resistance) tires on various websites, including the big one, TireRack.

If you're not a spirited driver and hold absolutely no value in sporty tires, a regular LRR all-season will do. If you want better handling while retaining comfort, LRR touring and grand touring tires will be best.

Here's a link that should have that criteria in mind. I included both passenger car tires and light truck tires (not P-metric and LT-metric but rather car vs SUV/crossover/truck tires)

All LRR tires listed on Tire Rack:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S

If link does not work, just search based on vehicle, then click the box that says "Low Rolling Resistance" below the tab titled the same thing.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

Thanks! Are there any brands to steer clear of? (Generally speaking. I've always just purchased 'whatever' tires.)

Also, what's the benefit of sporty tires? I'm afraid this is the first time I've really ever considered what type of tire suits me. What does it mean to be a spirited driver?
cnmne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Site Team

"No-name" brands I tend to avoid. The lower-quality tires may work for most, but I personally don't want to run such tires.

Sportier tires usually offer better lateral grip at cornering limits and improvement in longitudinal grip as well.

Do you sometimes find yourself driving faster than traffic in turns?
Do you enjoy driving very fast in twisty roads like mountain passes?

If you answered yes to the first question, maybe a touring tire is a good option.
If you answered yes to the second question, a touring tire may be sufficient, but not enough if you push your vehicle 100% to its cornering limits.

If you answered no to both, don't bother with touring tires or sporty tires, save your money and get a regular highway all-season.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #5

I'll say this- cheap tires offer the worst grip. And grip is something you CANNOT DO WITHOUT. Ever. So, Don't buy cheap tires. Especially those brands you've never heard of.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
It's simple, you can search for LRR (low rolling resistance) tires on various websites, including the big one, TireRack.

...just search based on vehicle, then click the box that says "Low Rolling Resistance" below the tab titled the same thing.
Though I'm not ready to replace tires anytime soon, it's never too early to start thinking about them, so I tried this search on TireRack. Being in a snow state, winter performance is important to me but I also told the Search Criteria that everything else was important to me too; i.e. low-noise and ride-comfort, wet road handling. (Didn't see the spot for LRR but that's okay..) What it came back with as it's top pick was the Michelin Premier A/S Grand Touring 225/55R17 rated for M+S. Anyone in here had any experience with these?

What got me thinking about it was reading
about tire replacement in the monthly newsletter on Subaru's site. To quote: "There are a ton of choices out there when it comes to tire options, but the good news is that Subaru engineers have already done all the legwork for you. Subaru engineers spend countless hours choosing the ideal tire to complement the characteristics of your Subaru and give you the best combination of running performance, ride comfort, and service life."

Okay, I'm sure they've thought about it, but these Michelin's seem like they might be a worthy upgrade. I don't think I require "sport" handling, and I'm not sure if I'm committed yet to changing out to full-time Snow/Winter tires if I don't really need to, but these All-Seasons look worth checking into.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 Outback Limited Twilight Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Moose View Post
What it came back with as it's top pick was the Michelin Premier A/S Grand Touring 225/55R17 rated for M+S. Anyone in here had any experience with these?
Yes, I used these on my Honda back in Virginia and I couldn't have been happier with their performance - good grip (wet or dry), good mpg, and, best of all, low noise. I will definitely buy them again when my Outback needs new shoes!

Gerry
Colonel C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Site Team

The Michelin Premier A/S is listed as a LRR tire. It seems TireRack renamed the LRR characteristic as Eco Focus now.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:09 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

All good to hear, sounds like a good choice. Thanks.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #10

Stay away from the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus. Tread life is terrible.
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote