Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Method wheels question

19K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Mandrew36 
#1 ·
Been researching wheels and tires set ups and decided on some BFG KO2's along with Method MR 502 with 15 x 7" and 5 mm offset rims. Question is that Amazon has three different hole size configurations: 3.94", 4.49", and 4.5".
So which one? The latter two wouldn't worry me, but 3.94 vs. 4.5 is a bit of a stretch. Any ideas?

Oh and BTW, I have my first Crosstrek, a 2018, due to arrive in 6 weeks. I know, pluses and minus to current model style to a new, untrusted one. But, I weighed the pros and cons, and was planning on pulling the trigger on a 2017, but the addition of the X-mode and hill decent control was a big deciding factor for me to wait....and a long wait it has been.

This tire/wheel set up will double as a off roading/cool looking tire as well as being a certified snow tire. I was already planning on a separate set of snow tires and wheels for ski season. This should remedy that. And I understand that the 2018s might be different sized brake calipers, so I will not be hasty.

#3 ·
I went through a quite extensive research project in terms of wheels/tires.
I by no means want to give the impression that what I did is the best or only way to only way to go. But I will share what I learned. I to wanted the aggressive look of the KO2s on 15" Methods - here is what I learned:
1.) TireRack did not recommend the 15" Methods because the break caliper clearance was deemed too close. However several folks have done this and report no issues - for me I felt better with the TireRack engineer's guidance.
2.) After talking to a former auto engineer family friend I learned that it would be prudent to keep as close as possible to the engineered wheel off-set and the overall wheel/tire diameter for both safety and performance handling. So keeping that in mind I picked wheels that had the same off-set 48mm as stock and tires that kept the overall diameter as close to stock as I possibly could.
3.) After driving my brother-in-law's Wrangler with big knobby AT tires (they definitely look bad-*****) I realized that being on pavement 95% of the time I did not want to live with the road noise. BUT - I wanted tires that were suitable for taking off pavement (since I am not an Aussie I am not going rock crawling with this car - check out YouTube, the dudes Down Under do some amazing, actually crazy things with these cars) and I want to take it on the beach.
4.) Last, I wanted a somewhat aggressive look - so the 2" lift

I went with the 16" Sparco Assetto wheels with the 48 mm offset same as stock. with the Yoko 235/60 GO15s these are a bit wider than stock but keep the overall wheel/diameter pretty close to stock. I did have an Anderson 2" lift kit installed as well. I have no rubbing and no handling degradation.

Here is a pic of my 2017 Crosstrek - I also share how it handled on a trip to NY form NC.

http://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums/f32/2-anderson-lift-kit-5769.html

#6 ·
I have been looking at LP Adventures stuff for quite some time myself. And I just got my 2018 Crosstrek last week, I am looking to do something similar to you by the sounds of it. I want to put a set of 237/75R15 on a set of Method wheels...or maybe another set of wheels that I can find that suit my needs. My wife has a 2016 Crosstrek in Hyper blue...and I loved what they did with the Hyper blue project they had, it is what made me decide to get a 2nd Crosstrek for myself.

I would love to know what stage you are at? Did you take delivery of your crosstrek yet? What I like about LP Adventures...besides they are only a couple hours down the road from me is that they fabricate everything themselves in house as opposed to some of the other companies which seem to contract out there builds only at certain times of year or when they get so many orders.

#7 ·
Ha! Yes, for me too their hyper blue project was the kicker via a mere Google search. I am still about 3-4 weeks out for my Crosstrek. Been a long road, especially when I was originally planning on a spring purchase of a 2017. Subaru's been teasing me with e-mails about the car. Just today I received an email regarding the VIN number.

As far as the tire set-up, I am sold on BF KO2's. Dual purpose for me: cool looking and better offroad performance and will double as a certified winter tire. Not a fan of two sets f tires and/or wheel sets.. With your desired size, you may have a tire clearance issue with the fenders. For 15" wheels, I was going to go with a 215/75 R15 (LP Adv's set up), keeping as close to the same overall wheel diameter at 27.7"(stock is 26.7"). That's the OD for the wheel. Others have gone with 215/65 R16. AZ Xtreck has a feed on here and that's the size he went with, you can find it on here with pics. Apparently the 15" wheels are a bit of a clearance issue. I plan on emailing LP ADv to see if they did some sort of modification. Not sure. If all else fails, I'll scrap the brakes.....Who needs brakes!

#8 ·
If you have been to LP adventures site of late you might have noticed that they got a 2018 Crosstrek early somehow and did a bunch of wheel sizings...They have it setup with three seperate combinations including the 235/75r15. I want to go with the largest tire I can...Especially wide...More contact with the road. I have emailed them several times and I have to say getting response from them seems a bit tough.

I hear what you are saying about two sets of wheels...But I just can not justify getting rid of a perfectly good set of tires and rims...Especially since I paid for them. I figure I will use them up and then switch over full time to the ko2...Besides by then I should have a good feel for the car and any issues that may have come from the redesign.

Personally I liked the Forrester abit more, but the price was too much. But the 2018 had all the features the Forrester had except heated rear seat and the panoramic sunroof.

#9 ·
Finally pulled the trigger two weeks ago. Absolutely love it! Been drooling on here of pics from others, youtube videos, etc. Glad I put Dynamat on the doors, because it is louder with road noise. A you-tuber Rick Hutton measured them to be 5-6 dbls louder on the interior than stock. His channel is a good resource on 2018 mods, etc.

Cheers!

Attachments

#11 ·
And thanks again to this forum for all the info and helpful folks on here!

With this site, and other internet sources, my subie is such a awesome daily driver that meets ALL my off road recreational needs. Always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, but with all the pros and cons of a Jeep, there was never a good reason for me to buy one. Love having a capable vehicle like a Crosstrek that gets better than 30mpg for under $30k.

#13 ·
I ended up with BF Goodrich KO2's size 215/75 R15, keeping as close to the same overall wheel diameter at 27.7"(stock is 26.7"). So, the odometer/speedometer stay the same. No rubbing whatsoever. Bit noisy, but I had already Dynamatted the car and that really helped. No lift, and likely won't. The tires are plenty for my off road needs, I did add a skid plate though.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hey A-A-Ron, I am looking into changing my wheels out for a beefy look. I am curious about your sizing with my 2inch lift. Would that be good?? or would there be rubbing? Also would I be able to use another all terrain tire instead of the KO2s? I am new to this club. Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.