TPMS Question - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #1

Default TPMS Question

A question on the TPMS on 2018 Premium vs. Limited models.....
I have a 2018 Premium, which does not provide individual tire pressure readouts on the dash display (only the idiot light). Therefore, I am assuming it is of the "indirect" type TPMS that relies on the ABS system for information. Those of you that have Limited models which give individual tire pressure reading on the dash display must have the more accurate "direct" TPMS, which uses individual sensors in each wheel.
Am I making the correct assumptions here?? The reason for the question is based on a significant temperature drop (for this area in Seattle) recently caused the idiot light to go on and me to have to jack up the pressure on all 4 tires about 5 lbs. to get it to go off and that has never happened before. Just seeking clarification from someone who knows....thanks!

Canuck37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Limited, 2016 Crosstrek Sport. Both with Eyesight.

With your forum name(Canuck37)I thought you had a Canadian rig. Subaru's in Canada don't even have TPMS(yet). Then I see you're in Seattle so you do have TPMS. I'm sure someone will chime in on whether your TPMS is direct or indirect.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogen Man View Post
With your forum name(Canuck37)I thought you had a Canadian rig. Subaru's in Canada don't even have TPMS(yet). Then I see you're in Seattle so you do have TPMS. I'm sure someone will chime in on whether your TPMS is direct or indirect.
Apparently the issue involves having the more fancy color LCD display, which has more functionality than my basic black and white version, which does not give individual tire pressure readings.....I'd really like to know how to either reset the minimum tire pressures on the TPMS sensors to fire off at a lower level, or just disable the whole damn thing.....we did fine without it for a long time!
Canuck37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Im pretty sure the Premium still has individual sensors in each tire.

Your light came on because of the pressure drop. Colder weather in winter will affect your tire pressure, in any car. In the last week or so I just checked the pressure on all 3 of my cars since we had a nice cold front recently here in the Sacramento area.. They all ranged between 3-10 PSI lower than normal.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:04 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Limited Quartz Blue Pearl

Agreed, colder weather will drop tire PSI. For ever 10 deg F drop in temperature, there is a 1 PSI drop in tire pressure. There are after market TPMS devices that'll give you the PSI readings if you're interested. Here's a link to explain this more thoroughly and has the aftermarket TPMS device.

A-A-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

'16 Crosstrek, 37,000 miles, original factory tires:
I was a bit surprised one morning a few weeks ago when the Low Tire Pressure warning light came on while I was backing down the driveway. Stopped at the nearest service station and indeed the pressure on just one tire had dropped to 27.5 lb/in so I topped it off. A few days later I checked it again and it had dropped from 36 to 33. Topped it off again. Now I keep a very close eye on it but it seems to be losing maybe .5 lb/day. I just had the car in for it's 36,000 mile service, but failed to mention it. Had the tires rotated as usual and it still drops about .5 daily.
What's a typical cause of such a slow consistent leak? Tires all appear in great shape, most recent inspection service report shows all four tires still in the "green" zone (7/32" or greater tread depth). When the car was new I checked my pressures almost weekly but got complacent as they hardly ever budged; and lately only checking about every 30-60 days, but now this one problem tire needs attention as I'm topping it off about every other day.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Might have a tiny pin-hole leak.

An "easy" way could be to throw it in a bathtub filled with water, see if you get bubbles anywhere.

Growing up thats how I learned how to check for flats on a bike tube lol.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2015 Crosstrek Limited, 2016 Crosstrek Sport. Both with Eyesight.

Yes you may have a nail or screw in it. Also get a spray bottle and mix some water and liquid soap. Spray solution on the valve stem. If you see bubbles the valve stem is leaking.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

Yeah something's going on. I used to do the bathtub thing too with my bicycle tires, don't think I'm going to try it with the Subie tire (just yet). But maybe a good visual inspection first and the soapy thing on the valve stem is a good idea too. I had to add just 1 lb again yesterday, after couple of days. Very slow leak, but persistent.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 AM   #10

As a firestone employee, I'm assuming it's a pinhole leak/nail in your tire. We see these all of the time. Take it to your nearest discount tire/firestone and they will inspect it for free. Subaru's typically don't have any bead leaks as they make quality rims and they don't corrode quickly, and the valve stem usually won't leak at 37k miles, but it's good to check. As for the tpms sensors, I have never seen a Subaru with an abs tpms system, they always use sensors in the valve stem which is a better reading
Carterheflen is offline   Reply With Quote