Brake upgrades! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #1

Default Brake upgrades!

I've done some searching on this site, the other site, and the general interwebz. I cannot find any performance brake pads for the front and rear for my 2017 crosstrek. I've used EBC red stuff on all my street cars with fantastic results. I would like to use these again. One of the weaknesses I've found in the streak is the lack of braking confidence, this is only perceived by myself due to having always driven light weight vehicles for autocross. (I kid you not, this trek is at least 800lbs heavier than anything I've ever owned.) so due to the mountain roads I have to contend with periodically, I fear brake fade. Especially since I have a CVT. Various websites don't list anything. They do list for the 2013-2015 model, but I don't know if those are the same.

Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

They are the same. I am 99.99% sure the brake pads on all 2nd generation Subaru XV models are the same shape.

The FMSI brake pad numbers are as follows:

D1539 [FRONT]
D1114 [REAR]

How hard are you intending to drive? If you drive nearly as hard or harder than me, you should set a minimum benchmark of a brake pad compound that has a maximum operating temperature in excess of 1200 degrees Fahrenheit (648 degrees Celsius).

For reference, the friction rating of the OEM brake pads is FF, which has a coefficient of friction range between 0.35 to 0.45 both hot (600 degrees F) and cold (0 degrees F).

The front brake pad shape is shared with the following:

2014-2017+ Subaru Forester non-turbo (2.5i)
2010-2014 Subaru Legacy 4-cylinder non-turbo (2.5i)
2010-2014 Subaru Outback non-turbo (2.5i)
2008-2014 Subaru WRX

The rear brake pad shape is shared with the following:
2012-2016 Subaru Impreza
2014-2017+ Subaru Forester non-turbo (2.5i)

I may have missed some, but that should be most of it.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #3

So wrx fronts, but not rears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
So wrx fronts, but not rears?
Basically. The fronts are shared with many vehicles, so commercial availability is high for the front brake pads.

The rears are limited to the Subaru non-turbo compacts and are much more difficult to find.

I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend the following brake pad compounds if you expect to encounter harsher-than-normal conditions but situations that aren't has hard as the ones I encounter:
  • Winmax W3
  • Project Mu B-force or B-spec
  • Endless SS-Y (Super Street Y-sports), SS-S (Super Street S-sports), or SS-M (Super Street M-sports)
  • Carbotech AX6
  • G-Loc R6
  • Hawk Performance HPS 5.0

All of these compounds would generally qualify as performance street or autocross brake pad compounds. Not quite race pads, but not quite regular street pads. As a result, they may be noisy and may fade if used under extreme conditions that I encounter such as continuous extended spirited downhill driving.

Standby for part numbers ninja edit, I am searching for the part numbers.

EDIT: part numbers found
  • Winmax: front WM-580-W3, rear WM-655-W3
  • Project Mu (PAD SHAPE NUMBERS ONLY, not compound specific): front F914, rear R914
  • Endless (PAD SHAPE NUMBERS ONLY, not compound specific): front EP386, rear EP418
  • Carbotech (PAD SHAPE NUMBERS ONLY, not compound specific): front CT1539, rear CT1114
  • G-Loc (PAD SHAPE NUMBERS ONLY, not compound specific): front GP1539, rear GP1114
  • Hawk Performance: front HB711B.661, rear HB557B.545
Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

Ok, so it's the daily driver, so I also need the brakes to stop when cold. The wife is not a race car driver, so she doesn't understand the "get them hot" strategy.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #6

I'm sure I'll catch crap for this, because I'm not recommending a specialty brand. But....I used Autozone brakes on my Mazda 3. Fronts were ceramic, and rear were metallic. You got three choices, I chose the most expensive, which were about $50.00. They lasted about 90k. They were also FREE lifetime warranty. I bought replacements, brought the old ones back, and got all my money back. I don't know how they can do it, but they functioned well and lasted as well. When I'm in need in the future, I'll be checking to see if there is an application. Now, someone or everyone tell me how I'm wrong please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #7

Actually, having worked at autobone, I can attest that their brand is made by someone else and repackaged. Last I heard it was duralast. That being said, I would never disgrace a Japanese car with sub-par American/Chinese products. It's genuine subie or track made products like EBC.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Based off of that, instead of a performance street, you wish for a mild performance street compound. Initial bite is the priority right? And I'm going to assume fade resistance isn't as high of a priority. How about brake dust?

For cold bite and operating temperature comments:
  • Winmax compounds W1, W2, and W3 have a listed operating temperature that start from ambient temperature. The W3 may be too aggressive in terms of maximum operating temperature that is 600 degrees C or 1112 degrees F.
  • Project Mu B-force and B-spec compounds I listed already have a listed operating temperature that start from about ambient temperature but may be too aggressive in terms of maximum operating temperature that is 500 degrees C or 932 degrees F.
  • Endless compounds SS-Y (Super Street Y-sports), SS-S (Super Street S-sports), and SS-M (Super Street M-sports) I listed already have a listed operating temperature that start from about ambient temperature. But the SS-M may be too aggressive in terms of maximum operating temperature that is 530 degrees C or 986 degrees F.
  • Carbotech offers only one pad compound with true cold bite, and that would be their mild performance compound 1521 with a listed operating temperature that starts from ambient temperature.
  • G-Loc offers only one pad compound with true cold bite, and that would be their mild performance compound GS-1 with a listed operating temperature that starts from ambient temperature.
  • Hawk Performance brake pads all seem to require warm-up, so I don't think I would recommend any of their compounds in regards to cold bite.

From a friction and initial bite standpoint:
  • Winmax compounds are on the mild side in terms of friction. The W1 has a coefficient of friction of 0.29 - 0.32 (actually lower than stock), W2 has a coefficient of friction of 0.32 - 0.35 (actually lower than stock), and the W3 has a coefficient of friction of 0.34 - 0.37 (on-par with stock).
  • Project Mu B-force and B-spec have a coefficient of friction of 0.32 - 0.45 (about on-par with stock with expected better friction at higher temperatures)
  • Endless compounds basically match stock friction with expected better friction at higher temperatures. SS-Y (Super Street Y-sports) matches stock at 0.35 - 0.45, SS-S (Super Street S-sports) has better bite at 0.38 - 0.45, and the SS-M (Super Street M-sports) surprisingly has lower friction at 0.30 - 0.40 despite the much higher maximum operating temperature.
  • Carbotech and G-Loc, despite not listing their coefficient of friction ratings, will likely have a much higher friction rating than stock based on my experience with American performance brake compounds. Hawk Performance also probably has compounds that exceed stock friction ratings.

Based on all of this data, I would recommend the following with an emphasis on higher friction and advertised cold-bite:
  • Endless SS-S (Super Street S-sports)
  • Carbotech 1521
  • G-Loc GS-1
Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

Ok cool. Thanks man. Brake dust doesn't bother me at all. Fade is second priority.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #10

Default Brake upgrades!

No brembo, wilwood, etc. , actual brake upgrade. Don't know if you would need one for a car that people complain is under powered. What are you going to be doing with your car? What's the practical application for the performance brakes, on a car that's stock like mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote