Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Total suspension travel?

9K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  RallyeBourne 
#1 ·
Anyone know, before I have to go to the garage and pull my suspension apart?

#2 ·
Note: This was not done in a scientific matter and was done using jack stands and Rhino ramps in an attempt to achieve maximum extension and compression of suspension. The tape measure was placed on the large lip of the tire designed to protect the wheels from damage such as curb rash.

Rhino ramps were placed diagonally and resulted in two tires not touching the ground to maximize the accuracy of compression with what little tools and supplies I had.

These are rough estimates found using few available tools and supplies and do not reflect the actual suspension travel of the 2nd generation Subaru XV, and therefore, these results should not be used in a professional manner.

LF approx 4 inches of suspension travel

LF corner fully extended
LF*corner 2nd gen Subaru XV suspension max rebound travel - Imgur

LF corner fully compressed
LF corner 2nd gen Subaru XV suspension compression - Imgur

LR approx 5.7 inches of suspension travel

LR corner fully extended
LR*corner 2nd gen Subaru XV suspension max rebound travel - Imgur

LR corner fully compressed
LR*corner 2nd gen Subaru XV suspension compression - Imgur

RF approx 4.2 inches of suspension travel

RF corner fully extended
RF*corner 2nd gen Subaru XV suspension max rebound travel - Imgur

RF corner fully compressed
RF*corner 2nd gen Subaru XV suspension compression - Imgur

RR approx 5.7 inches of suspension travel

RR corner fully extended
RR*corner 2nd gen Subaru XV suspension max rebound travel - Imgur

RR corner fully compressed
RR corner 2nd gen Subaru XV suspension compression - Imgur

#4 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, he did it incorrectly. This doesn't provide total droop and total jounce. This is a measurement that must be taken with no tire and no spring in place. Spring bind can be measured once the spring is out. Total shock bound and rebound are measured with all suspension pieces in place except the tire/wheel and the spring. Then, and only then, can total suspension travel be calculated. Awdfreak's measurement doesn't account for the wheel moving into the wheel well, as well as the control arms at full rest (other suspension components binding first.)

The reason for wanting this measurement is to gain total travel by cutting bumpstops and/or spring hat spacers. Rally cars have about 14" total travel. This is to ensure the tires stay in constant contact with the road surface over jumps, woops, and off camber turns.

#6 ·
I am aware that the test I did has no direct correlation to the actual measured travel, it would be more accurate to call my measurements wheel travel.

If I had the tools and time, I of course would have gone forward with actual measurements, but such tools are not something I can have in a manner that's practical in my current situation.

Considering the wheel is further out, chances are the actual suspension travel range may be less than my measurements, although that doesn't take into account actual bottoming out (since the springs are still installed during my max compression photos).

#7 ·
Well the struts themselves only allow 4 3/8" travel, soooooo...
I found this spec in my research for a new strut option for the Crosstrek when I do the extended LCA's. In case you're wondering, <2012 Outback struts allow 5 7/16" of travel. But I still have no idea if they'll fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I made cardboard templates of the top hat and lower bolt patterns to compare once I find someone with an Outback, lol. I'm half tempted to just go to the dealership and compare them. I have yet to find specs on the 2012+ struts, but if they fit I'd be willing to buy one and test it.

#11 ·
None of the locals have it on the shelf, I've already checked. However, I did just find out that my old manager when I worked for Manny, Moe, and Jack now works at my local location. So I'm going to talk to him and have him order one in to check when I get home next week. I'm really hoping this works. It's kind of the final piece to my Extended LCA's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.