Violent shudder when braking - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
Default Violent shudder when braking

Just wondering what the forums thoughts are and some advice on how to hold my dealer accountable.

I knew it was time for new pads and rotors. I was getting that nice scraping sound when braking. So took it in to the local Subaru dealer for service. Pads were down to almost nothing and 3mm on the rotors so I told them go ahead and replace front and back sets. While there, they notices that front axles needed to be replaced and rear bearings. Thankfully under my warranty still so I was out just the brakes.

They got it back to me in day and half but as soon as I drove out and hit the brakes I had a very violent shudder. Feels like front left but can't quite tell. I almost turned right back around but had to get to the airport. When I got back dropped it off immediately.

Waiting to hear what they say now but would be interested in hearing what the forum thinks. What bugs me most is that there is just no way that someone wouldn't have noticed this on a test drive. So now I'm left to wonder if the dealer didn't test drive, missed another problem, or doesn't know how to install brakes correctly. None of those are good options.

Thanks for any advice, education, or suggestions!

OutdoorClubSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

Sounds like you got a bum rotor?
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:04 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2018 DGM

It is possible for rotors to be warped straight out of the package. The fact that the problem presented immediately suggests that they didn't take a test drive afterward. You'd think even pulling the car out of the garage after the install, they might have noticed if it was as "violent" as you say.

Hopefully they don't try to charge you for their mistake.
JB1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

Imeadiate warpaged could mean a bent hub.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #5

When the disc is off check the hub for concentricity. A warped hub will transfer it’s warp to the rotors the first time they heat up.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:26 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek Limited

Well they came back and said the cutting machine had an incorrect setting. I laid into them because if nothing else the test drive should have caught that. Heck driving it from the bay to the front lot should have caught that. Didn't leave me with a lot of confidence in their work. I did manage to get new axles and bearings under warranty though. It's riding so smooth now and noise level down significantly. They're sending me a free car wash so all in all I came out ok.
Now we'll see what results of oil consumption test are and I'm holding out on my transmission which is 'gripping' at time. Both of those have service bulletins too so I guess I'll be back at the dealer for those. Can't complain too much as it's all been under warranty except the brakes.
OutdoorClubSouth is offline   Reply With Quote