2017 crosstrek tire wheel question - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

Default 2017 crosstrek tire wheel question

Couldn't find this in other posts. Have "17 CT, changing to 15" 501 methods, about 17 lbs. (5 lbs light than stocks). Gonna have yokohamas new A/T G015 in the 215 70 15 Light Truck (6 ply and 31 lbs each) put on these Methods. These are 6 lbs heavier than the stock tires, yielding a 1 lb. increase in weight per tire/wheel. Will this be a problem? I know the tire is just under an inch taller than stocks so this will have some impact on the power and fuel mileage. BUT, the tire is a little skinnier, so Im hoping that the one pound difference will be negligible. ANY Thoughts on this will be appreciated. I need the LT tire for the dirt roads in Mexico so I'm hoping this works. Thanks

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I used to have the old Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 215/60R17 on stock wheels and the only perceivable difference was a slight penalty in fuel efficiency.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

thanks, AWDfreak.

Yea, since this tire/wheel is only one lb. heavier, I wouldn't expect too much of a hit on fuel. But a discount tire guy said it'd be worse cause the setup is nearly an inch taller it would demand more from the drive train,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Site Team

It would definitely have a long-term effect on wheel bearings and brakes, but I'm doubtful of early failure of those components. For safety, I'd recommend upgrading the brake pads to ones less likely to fade, especially considering that Subaru's VDC uses the brakes to make up for the open front and rear differentials plus to make up for the heavier rotating mass.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #5

Thanks again for your input. So all these others that have put on generals or goodyears will likely have bearing/brake issues? Cause those grabbers and KO2 A/T's are even a pound heavier than the Yok A/T's I want. That makes me want to stay away from the modification altogether.

Are there others out there that have experienced this as well? Thanks again AWDfreak for your information, you could be saving me a big fat headache later. BUT, I really need those LT tires for Mexico dirt roads that I live on, and I was really hoping to make this work. Think I should look for a light wheel to bring the weight to the exact OEM weight? And, if so, any suggestions for a strong lightweight wheel? Muchas Gracias
Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
Site Team

It won't give you immediate short-term issues, but rather, I'd expect the components to fail marginally earlier than one would expect them to deteriorate in the very long run. I don't consider this an issue, the same way someone who drives the mountain passes has to replace brake parts more often, it's just what needs to be done. Feel free to add weight to the wheel assemblies, just bear in mind components will wear out a little faster as a result of them being heavier. Considering your objectives, it's a fine trade-off.

All that needs to be done to offset the higher stresses on the vehicle would be vehicle inspections to be executed at a higher frequency. Driving off-road, one should already have this mindset of keeping tabs on the condition of your vehicle.

Strong lightweight wheels usually means high wheel price. Usually rally wheels such as Method Racing Wheels, Sparco, Team Dynamics, etc. are some of the more common 15 inch diameter choices.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #7

thanks for the reassurance. Sounding better all time
Old 06-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek (Tangerine Orange Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
I used to have the old Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 215/60R17 on stock wheels
Just getting ready to pull the trigger on that exact same tire for my '15 Crosstrek. You had no rub issues with the stock wheels, etc?

N6VHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6VHF View Post
Just getting ready to pull the trigger on that exact same tire for my '15 Crosstrek. You had no rub issues with the stock wheels, etc?
No rub issues at all. That exact tire size was the only all-terrain that was as close to the stock tire size, they're almost the exact same rotations per mile.