IP Ban? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #1

Default IP Ban?

I have been unable to access this site for many months, and in fact assumed it was actually taken down completely. I registered 1 year ago when purchasing a Crosstrek, but have never even posted here. I do not believe my account was ever compromised in any way. To this day I still cannot access it from anything other than a cellular network. Have I been banned by IP? If so why? And how can this be corrected? Thank you!

rockboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

There's many factors that could affect accessibility of websites. Unfortunately, my hands are tied as I am just a moderator. I've contacted the admin and shared this thread through that method of contact.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

Thank you very much for responding! Actually even on cellular I cannot access any of the forums to browse (they all are blank), only to post as I am doing here. I'm rather IT saavy so I have tried literally everything short of a VPN. That's a step too far! Haha. I'm in USA, btw.

This is on multiple OS (Android, Mac, Windows) and multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari)--both desktop and mobile. Of course there is another great XV forum to frequent but I would love to have acees to this one again too!

Of course I'll continue to sit tight for now but any continued help to restore full access would be much appreciated. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Hey there,

I searched your IP and it isn't banned on this site. When you're on desktop, are you able to see the threads and content of the site but just not post. Do you get an error message when you click on the "post" icon?

Niall
Tech Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #5

Well hello and sincere thanks again!! So it's not an IP ban! That's good news. Bad news is that it must be something else!

The attached screenshot #1 is taken on a desktop in Chrome version 66.0.3359.117 on MacOS 10.13.4 "The site can't be reached www.clubcrosstrek.com took too long to respond." That's the error message I've been getting (after a 30+ second timeout) for the past 6 months.

I have only learned this past weekend that FULL access to the forum on cellular network will in fact work on Android in Chrome--only if I "exit enhanced mobile view". Which is the state I am currently operating in. Wifi does not work on mobile at all of course, only cellular. I've attached screenshot #2 of that on mobile as well.

"Enhanced mobile view" was not functioning properly at all on cellular either. Though at least I could access the home page of the site (forum main page). I can not see or access any content beyond that on mobile until exiting enhanced mobile.

As you can see this is all very strange. I can't imagine I am the only user experiencing issues, but here's hoping any of the above information I've provided might help!

Thanks again!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.53.14 AM.png (31.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-04-23-11-35-24.jpg (44.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Site Team

This is definitely odd! I don't see anything in your account that should be restricting you from accessing the site. What I might suggest (if you're okay with it) is to send us a PM with your account details so that we can go into your account directly and try to replicate the issues that you're having. If you're okay with that, please add a link to this thread in the PM just in case another admin from the team is the one to get the message.

Cheers,

Erik
Tech Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2018 DGM

The fact that you can't even reach the site at all suggests that your account is not the issue.

It sounds like a DNS issue to me. Your local DNS servers may not be able to resolve the host name to an IP address. I would try setting Google DNS on your home router. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Alternatively, you could try using an ethernet cable to plug your computer directly into your modem (bypassing the router) temporarily. Your computer should pick up an IP configuration straight off the modem (assuming your ISP allows that) and you should be able to connect to the internet. If you still can't access the site, you'll probably need to call your ISP.

Definitely do not leave your computer connected without the router.
JB1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #8

I absolutely appreciate the continued effort to assist but DNS configuration is almost definitively not the problem.

Again this is happening on 4 different devices (tablet, phone, Mac, Win)--all with different DNS settings including the Mac already having been configured to Google servers for years with 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 as primary/secondary. The first screenshot I attached was taken using Google DNS. I just double-checked again.

Maybe it is indeed at the ISP level somehow but this would be the only website out of many, many hundreds to have ever been rendered totally inaccessible. I have outstanding service from an independent regional provider including 400Mbps, 802.11AC and 5Ghz coverage.

Unfortunately I cannot continue down this rabbit hole forever so I suppose this sadly concludes the issue once and for all. Accordingly I would request that you please delete this thread (I'm frankly a bit embarrassed by it) and wish you all the best moving forward. I do hope someday I can rejoin the site!

Sincere thanks again for your help, and best wishes!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2018 DGM

I have one other thought before you give up entirely. Maybe you've already tried this.

This site host name resolves to the IP: 108.168.211.92

If you can't ping it, it's almost certainly an ISP block. If you can, we're back to DNS issues. Possibly caching an old site IP on your router.

Have you tried any other DNS servers? It's a shady practice, but some ISP's have been known to redirect DNS requests to their own servers. Google DNS would be a top target for redirecting in that case.

You sound certain that DNS isn't the issue and maybe you're right, but I've been there, thought that, and after much frustration and agony it turned out I was wrong. DNS servers and caching can be a b****.
JB1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #10

All pings to 108.168.211.92 in terminal timed out.

I therefore contacted my ISP who suggested I run a traceroute wherein it is evident it is "going dark" after hop 8 at networklayer.com

Of course that means it is happening after it leaves the ISP network (so they are not reaponsible) but before it arrives at destination--which according to their own traceroute would have been hop 9.

I have a screenshot of this traceroute timing out at hop 9 but was wary of posting it publicly.

Consider me dumbfounded. Such is life.

Thanks again everyone!

« PhotoBucket | - »