Pandora and Star link - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Default Pandora and Star link

after a year of ownership this is really starting to get on my nerves. It is more of Quark than a "OMG THIS CAR IS POS" thing.

1. I can rarely if ever get Pandora APP to function on the factory HU. when they do link and stream via bluetooth I have to start pandora on my phone first, then tell the radio to flip over to it and IF it feels like working, will start to stream. Most of the time it is endless cycle of turn off, and turn on the phone and the radio to get to a point where it either works or I get fed up.

2. Starlink makes it impossible to change tracks on pandora when streaming. I sure this is/was a saftey feature, but if I'm not the driver, there is no risk in me looking at my phone. is there a way to disable this?

3. Starlink seems to be basically worthless app. I haven't been able to get one function to work, and it gave up after about 4 times of it tell me to remove and redownload.

4. I have uploaded all my contacts on my 2015 via the "load contacts" feature. for whatever reason when I get a call (even with those loaded) it only displays the incoming number UNLESS I have previously called out via blue tooth for some unknown reason. Is there a fix, update or whatever for this.

I should note my LG G3 is about 2 years old, but it wasn't exactly vintage when I bought the car last year. I'm a bit of tech geek and very much a gear head so giving up and living with it is not a pleasant solution. the 2013 CX5 we had before had 0 of these problems and the $80 pioneer HU I installed in the skyline has no trouble doing either of the above two functions so I'm having trouble just ignoring it and enjoying the car for what it is.

NOTE:

Car 2015 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
phone1: LG G3 (android 5.0.2)
Phone2: LG G4 (wife)

neither are rooted or anything special.

flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I've had no experience using the Pandora app, but unfortunately, the Starlink App for media entertainment I found rather redundant and slow-to-respond.

From what I can tell, the most valued features of the Starlink App come from the Safety and Security features. Otherwise, the Starlink-app specific media functions are rather disappointing.

Supposedly the 5th generation compacts (including the new 2017 Subaru Impreza) will come standard with Apple Carplay and Android Auto for simplicity of smartphone integration.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

My Vehicle: '15 XV Crosstrek Hybrid, Plasma Green Pearl

Yea Starlink and all those things like it are just terrible. Subaru doesn't know how to write software. I'm just biding my time until my warranty expires when I'll be putting an Android Auto unit in there... something it should have had from the start.
demarcmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #4

Ugh, if this means I'm going to have to change out the head unit, I guess I will. I really don't want to change it out, but the functionality is just not there. Guess I need to start reading up options from metra and retaining the factory steering wheel controls and mic.

Really wish there was a better option. we have a 70k on the warranty on this from the factory and I'm really not keen on turning this into one of my other 3 modded cars. The point in buying it was to leave it alone and focus on the others.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #5

I have a 4 month old 2016 Premium Crosstrek. Until recently, the Pandora app in the HU and the Pandora app on my Samsung phone streamed well together. Last week the HU wouldn't connect with the phone and the phone would connect with the HU for phone only, no audio media. The phone is running Android 5.1.1.
I did the Bluetooth unpair then pair as suggested on other sites. No joy. Emptying the phone cache and clearing memory on the phone didn't work either. Other sites mentioned using the voice command function to setup the HU but I never did follow up on that.
I did discover if I set the HU to BT AUDIO by pressing the SOURCE button on the steering wheel, the phone would stream Pandora to the HU. Except for the volume and select next track function on the steering wheel, the phone is the primary control using BT AUDIO. The HU displays only the track title and artist in this mode but the phone would connect to the HU for phone and audio every time.
Then last night, I downloaded an update to Pandora on the phone. And of course the Pandora to Pandora link works like old times today.
StephenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

The head unit and most stereo related items will not work well with anything but Apple equipment.
Turdowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #7

The final work-around, for my Samsung phone, is to do a Restart on the phone. Simple.

My phone and my '16 Premium Crosstrek will work together seamlessly until one day when the planets move out of alignment or the level of the lake changes and the two devices will not connect. Each one sees the other but will not connect. No media. No phone.

Time for a phone restart. Put the XC in Park, of course. Turn on the phone Bluetooth. Select SUBARU BT. Everybody is chatting nicely once again ...... for 3 weeks or so.
StephenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #8

Odd......... I have no issues in my '17 with my razor maxx....7 months and still working like peas and carrots.
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #9

My Vehicle: White 2017 Crosstrek Premium

The Starlink app is utterly broken. If I were a marketer at Subaru, I would be completely embarrassed especially when the competition has so much more to offer on all trims.

I installed it on my LG V20 (newest version of Android without owning the Pixel), connected just fine, and then the shock set in. Dropped frames, un-mapped controls on the steering wheel, poor UI design, missing features, input delay.

I installed this while waiting for my Crosstrek to warm up in the morning, and completely uninstalled it before I even left the driveway.

As far as the OP's issue with Pandora, try checking your phone's settings (Settings -> Apps -> Pandora). Make sure Pandora has all the access it needs to connect to the stereo. One thing I have noticed with my 2017 is sometimes, it will connect, but not play, then I notice it is playing out of the phone speaker while retaining the steering wheel controls. Turning the radio off, waiting for 5 seconds, then back on again seems to quickly fix it for me.
Liskrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2016 Subaru XV S CVT Crystal White

Pandora is being discontinued here in AU and NZ according to an email I got only a few days ago......... it reads something like..... as of end of Aug 2017 Pandora will no longer be in service in these two regions.......

I guess thats one more reason for me not to bother and continue using my USB sticks as my music source....
Joffa is offline   Reply With Quote