An off-road rock crawler that DOESN'T use straight axles?! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #1
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Thumbs up An off-road rock crawler that DOESN'T use straight axles?!

Often times, off-road enthusiasts tout the rigidity, reliability, as well as the articulation of the straight-axle suspension design. Straight-axle suspension also is better suited to carrying heavier loads as there is no camber change like that of an independent suspension. And unlike an independent suspension, a straight axle suspension's minimum running ground clearance is maintained during compression (assuming the differential is the minimum running ground clearance point), while an independent suspension loses minimum running ground clearance under compression.

However, it is generally accepted that a vehicle with independent suspension is able to roll over obstacles at higher speeds with more composure than a straight-axle suspension.

Clayton Hollingsworth took this concept to the extreme. Clayton Hollingsworth IFS/IRS Buggy named "THE OUTLAW" uses a very unconventional setup. A completely, fully-independent suspension rock buggy. And it's no slouch, nor it is unreliable.

It also sports a GM LS-series V8 engine that is supercharged and offset from the driver in a mid-mounted layout with 4WD. This is one of the most badass rigs I have ever seen on YouTube.

Seriously, this guy deserves some serious props! And he actually won the first event he entered his fully-independent suspension rig at!

YouTube video code: 8EdZJQEY4F0 YouTube channel code:
UCwJOLhqkBHVnT5wA1mkOzdg

SUPERCHARGED LS POWERED IFS/IRS BUGGY - The OUTLAW
Uploaded by BustedKnuckleVideo

YouTube video code: 36dVm7I8ZMA YouTube channel code: UCQMYWynQkK-Q-sd0u2_rF0A
"OUTLAW" The INSANE SUPERCHARGED IFS/IRS ROCK BOUNCER
Uploaded by MadRam11

YouTube video code: ykCc1ItHO_Y YouTube channel code: UCoexJvHdAZdD9zaf4SrzLow
THE OUTLAW STRIKES AGAIN!!! WINS INSANE 4 WIDE PRO-ROCK KNOCKOUT RACE AT AMERICAN REBEL MUD PARK
Uploaded by HIGH OCTANE FILMS

YouTube video code: CVtWRqJsHXk YouTube channel code: UCQMYWynQkK-Q-sd0u2_rF0A
OUTLAW THE IFS/IRS SUPERCHARGED MONSTER HITS THE ROCKS
Uploaded by MadRam11

YouTube: 9ZpM_9gIKAc YouTube channel code: UCoexJvHdAZdD9zaf4SrzLow
HOW DOES IT EVEN MOVE LIKE THAT? THE OUTLAW JUST FLIES AND STICKS LIKE NO OTHER MACHINE OUT THERE!!!
Uploaded by HIGH OCTANE FILMS

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #2

Ugly, but useful. IR/FS is solely used in Baja. Which is mostly sand, but still has rocks. I love watching a trophy truck absorb the craziest jumps and rocks. Wish my rally car could do that (for cheap...)

Also, I wouldn't call that "rock crawling". Really just hillclimb.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote

« EZ pass placement | - »