Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Why I chose the Hybrid

8K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  AWDfreak 
#1 ·
I just put in an order for my2015 Hybrid earlier this week and already find myself having to explain to people why I decided to go with the Hybrid over the gas model. I put the following together to explain it and though that other people here might find it interesting (or people considering a purchase might stumble upon this).

A few notes before I jump into things...
[list type=decimal]
[li]Everything that follows is based on the 2015 models.[/li]
[li]The price differences will definitely vary from person to person. The figure I gave was the price after adding all the accessories I wanted, and after some dealer negotiation, but before all the taxes, tags, and fees. The exclusion of taxes, tags, and fees should make this rationale somewhat portable from person to person I think. You may have to do your own analysis on how much you think you'll save on gas too. [/li]
[li]Lastly, this is why I chose the hybrid. You might feel differently about some things. For example, the only negative I listed was the lack of spare tire. I didn't list things like the lack of optional EyeSight, the fact that it's not technically rated for towing, etc. because those things don't bother me. The only thing I considered a real legitimate negative was the spare tire. Maybe those other things might factor into your equation though. Similarly, maybe you don't want the green color so that's not a benefit in your equation... or maybe the color you want doesn't even come in the Hybrid so it is a negative. So what I'm saying is... take everything with a small grain of salt.[/li]
[/list]

Ok so here it is...
(I tried to format this in a somewhat readable manner)

Why I Chose the Crosstrek Hybrid over the Gas Model
How much more does the Hybrid cost?
The “2.0i Hybrid” model costs $2700 more than the most equivalently equipped gas model, the “2.0i Premium w/ CVT (automatic transmission)”

After running several different scenarios involving gas prices, total mileage, and city/highway splits, I have concluded that $700 is a fairly conservative guess for how much I might save in gas over the 8-10 years I plan to own the vehicle.

That leaves $2000 as the real “cost” of the hybrid.

The purchase price for my Hybrid with all of the options I selected was $26,628, so an equivalently optioned 2.0i Premium w/ CVT model would be assumed to cost $24,628. And 2000/24628=8.1% so I paid 8.1% more to have the Hybrid

What does that $2000 (8.1%) buy me?
Note that because the fuel efficiency has already been factored in at this point, I can’t consider it as a benefit.
~10% Increase In Performance
8.1% More Power (and at lower RPM too) – 160 hp @ 6,000 rpm vs. 148 hp @ 6,200 rpm
12.4% More Torque (and at lower RPM too) – 163 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm vs. 145 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm

Better Handling (in snow and in general) – Due to re-engineered chassis

Better Sound Isolation – Due to re-engineered chassis

Safer
“Front Driver” and “Front Passenger” crash test scores are both 5 vs 4 on gas models

More Standard Features*
The “2.0i Premium w/ CVT” model does not come with Keyless Access, Push-button Start, Automatic Climate Control, Auto on/off headlights, Folding Rear Seat armrest w/ cupholders.

*Note that these are all standard on the “2.0i Limited” (gas) model (except Keyless Access, which is an option), but we are comparing to the “2.0i Premium Model.” If I wanted to compare against the “2.0i Limited” model, then I would remove this item from the benefit. In that case, I would be paying only paying $1200 (4.7%) more for all of the other benefits listed here.

Updated Styling & Exclusive Green Color
Turn signals on mirrors (*see note above for this item too), chrome accent on door handles, LED taillights, exclusive green color.

What do I lose?
Spare Tire :(

See less See more
#2 ·
I purchased my 2014 hybrid because it ended up being cheaper than an equivalent 2015 gas. I also liked the higher trim level comparing base hybrid to base gas. I didn't want the leather, sun roof, navigation, eyesight, etc.. The hybrid also comes with a free extended warranty on all hybrid components. So no worry about batteries.

#3 ·
Have you finally convinced yourself that it was the correct choice?

$2700 is not a huge premium for a car with better technology (infotainment, back-up camera), a quieter cabin so you can actually use the bluetooth on the freeway, premium materials (leather steering wheel!), etc. And you got fancy wheels and tail lights, too!

#6 ·
ComradeKoala said:
Have you finally convinced yourself that it was the correct choice?

$2700 is not a huge premium for a car with better technology (infotainment, back-up camera), a quieter cabin so you can actually use the bluetooth on the freeway, premium materials (leather steering wheel!), etc. And you got fancy wheels and tail lights, too!
I think so. At least for me it was the correct choice. Looking at the 6 things I listed as benefits, I probably would have paid that 2k for any 3 of them, let alone all 6.

Not to mention, I'm a tech-y sort of person, so the dynamics of the handoff between the gas and battery and being able to monitor it on the display is pretty cool to me. Admittedly, that novelty will probably fade over time (which is why I didn't put it in my original list), but it's still one more thing that I like about it.

hhbah said:
I hate the slim green color that the hybrid came in when we bought your XV about year ago.
For me, based on the 7,000 miles per year that I put on a car, the extra money was not worth the extra 2 MPG.

I want a Tesla but can't afford it.
Yea if you're not interested in the green color, that eliminates one of the benefits.
But like I said to the guy above... I would have paid the 2k (or maybe 2.5k for you since you wont see much of a fuel savings), for all of the other benefits that come with the hybrid (performance, sound deadening, handling, safety, standard features, chrome & LED lights, etc.). I personally would have bought the hybrid even if the gas mileage was exactly the same. That's me though.

#9 ·
Here is a good review from Motirweek.org on the performance improvements and real world fuel economy improvements.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...osstrek_hybrid

Now you might not think you would really notice any differences in daily driving, as the slight power gains have potentially been offset by the additional 276-pound weight gain, but the Hybrid has a very different feel. Especially around town at slower speeds, where the engine seems much more responsive.

Off the line, you feel less lag and sense a more immediate uptick. However, the numbers didn’t bear out our feelings as a 0-60 time of 10.4 seconds is about a half second off what we got in the standard XV. The quarter mile speed was actually slightly faster, 80 in 17.9 seconds.

We found the electric boost quite noticeable going from light to heavy throttle, where you get an almost turbo-like quick kick. The Hybrid’s sportier feel is also noticeable through the slalom, as the suspension has been retuned and steering ratio quickened.

On road, the Crosstrek Hybrid is a solid citizen, with a ride that stiffer than the typical Subaru family truckster, but that plays to the rugged image. Ground clearance remains the same great 8.7-inches. So, combined with the “business as usual” standard all-wheel-drive system, and there’s no questioning the all-weather prowess of the Crosstrek Hybrid. Which we experienced firsthand, during some early drive time in Iceland.

As for the fuel efficiency, Government Fuel Economy Ratings are up to 29-City, 33-Highway, and 31-Combined…overall a 3 MPG jump over the regular XV. But, unlike most hybrids, we were easily able to beat the ratings without even trying, averaging 35.0 miles-per-gallon of Regular. The Energy Impact Score has also improved, now burning just 10.6-barrels and emitting 4.8-tons of CO2 annually.

Those gains might not be huge, but every little bit helps. And when you can do it in a vehicle that feels peppier than the original it’s a win-win.

#10 ·
I absolutely HATE the comparison of the number of years/miles you have to drive the hybrid Crosstrek to make up the price difference to the non-hybrid version. The hybrid version is so much better equipped than the gas versions that it's an invalid comparison. It's like asking how long you would have to drive a Mercedes CL350 to make up the cost savings of a POS Hyundai Accent.

Just ask yourself - Name ONE crossover SUV with full time all wheel drive that also gets 30+ mpg on average. It's a short list - congratulations.

#11 ·
I agree. But the 2015 models leveled the platforms a little.

Keep in mind, if you change your driving habits and tailor your driving to maximize the use of the hybrid motor it is very easy to get 35+ mpg daily. Without even trying I get 33-35mpg during my daily commute.

keep the air and defroster off.
Tap the brakes on down hills to engage EV mode.
Coast to stops to keep the battery charged up.
Take off slow to let the electric motor get the car moving.
Use cruise control as much as possible.

Doing the above will easily get you 35+ mgp

#12 · (Edited)
I wasn't going to resurrect this post to say this, but since someone else has I'll take this opportunity to say... the updating of this forum to the new format botched the formatting of my original post. I would fix it if old posts were editable, but they aren't. Sorry folks. It's a mess to read, I know.

Since I'm here, there are three other things that I wasn't aware of at the time I made my decision, but learned about later:

1.) The black aerodynamic spoiler (2015+ only). I wasn't sure if I would really have any strong opinions on this, but now that I have my Hybrid I really like the spoiler. The black spoiler compliments the other black cladding on the car (as well as the window tint and the bumper cover) really well. I really looks nice against the green.

2.) The blue color LED instrument panel. This is obviously not a difference-maker by any means, but something I should have listed in the list of features.

3.) Fancier multi-function display (the upper display). I actually knew about this ahead of time but forgot to mention it. It can control things like, for example, making the driver-side door unlock all doors - something the gas model can't do.

#16 ·
My gas mileage is about the same as my daughter's 2015 gas model. But I have more HP and Torque thanks to the little electric motor which even though it adds about 400lbs to the vehicle still feels more peppy on take-off.

I'm also a tech weenie and love technology like the hybrid tech. It's also cool to drive through the drive through at Starbucks and come out front where everyone sits outside and drive buy silent. Most don't know the Crosstrek is available as a hybrid.

#17 ·
I seriously wish the Hybrid was available in a manual transmission... I always think to myself, if my XV were to be wrecked and needed a replacement, I would have a very hard time choosing between another 5-speed manual XV Crosstrek or an XV Crosstrek Hybrid. The Hybrid just drives better and feels better to me despite the 400 lbs weight gain.

I'm not exactly a tech weenie myself, but I definitely do appreciate the newer car technology while still enjoying the old fashioned way of shifting gear ratios.

#18 ·
I have no regrets going with the Hybrid.
I think all the reasons I chose it over the gas version are stated quite well by demarcmj: mainly a higher level of technology and other small enhancements, many of which you can't see, but can feel driving it. Slightly better gas mileage is just a bonus.

Here in Canada there is only one Hybrid trim level and it is essentially at the top of the line, nearly equivalent to the Limited, with the addition of the Hybrid drive, and deleting NAV and leather seats. Since I was in the market for a Limited level anyway the Hybrid was a no-brainer. And (at the time -2104) was $300 cheaper than the Limited!

Apparently many of the unseen but felt enhancements to the Hybrid are now available in the current model gas version so that's a plus all around. Unfortunately for some of us the Hybrid has been dropped. But maybe the future will bring something even better, i.e. a Chevy Volt-like plug in Hybrid Crosstrek with range extending gas motor! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.