2019 Limited with GooPS - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Unread 09-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Question 2019 Limited with GooPS

Having strange problems with GPS on my 19 Limited. When I set it for fastest route from Youngstown Ohio to Richmond VA, a route I've driven 10 times, it informed me that it had a faster route. So I accepted it's "too good to be true" route. Instead of taking me across PA turnpike and down I-95, it rerouted me down I-79 to south western VA, then thru the mountain roads of George Washington national Forrest and Monongahela national park. The shortcut took an extra hour, although it made up for the time with fun, adrenaline filled, runs up and down mountains and in and out of S and hairpin turns. Gave my XV a real workout!
On the return trip, from Outer Banks, NC, to Winchester VA, the GPS worked fine. But on the 2nd leg of the return trip, it insisted that it had a better route again. Wouldn't even let me have my usual route. So I accepted, again.
This time it took me thru the mountains of western WV, and even hairier mountain roads' turns, bends, and steep inclines. Again, the XV performed very well. Only 2 or 3 near misses on the sharp bends.
Weird things were:
Audible directions from GPS lady said turn right at the traffic light I was sitting at, but the HUD display was showing that I should bear left 200 yards ahead, which was someone's drive way.
Also, the HUD display kept randomly showing that we were on George Washington Highway at many different locations... even when I pulled into my driveway!
When I cancelled the route near the end of the trip, GPS lady refused to shut up, and continued barking out her orders at me. I brought up the menu screen to try and cancel the route again, but there was no cancel selection available, so I had to listen to her bitching at me, along with my copilot nagging that I had to have done something wrong.

Anyone else experience these strange activities? Was the alien mother ship trying to beam me up?

AA8QQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2019 Crosstrek Limited Quartz Blue

Your GPS must have a hidden Adventure mode. I prefer TomTom Go on my phone via Carplay.
But seriousl, maybe preferences were set to SHORTEST & not QUICKEST Route. I've had standalone GPS units foul me up like that before.
Sorry you got misrouted.
Ty Hoeffer
Palmyra, VA
thoeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2019 Crosstrek Limited Dark Gray

I've never had anything like that on my 2019 GPS.

I have had it give me an alternate route from what it usually does. But only when there's a major backup on my usual route, like from an accident.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #4

I'd like to pull the plug on the GPS/nav system if I could find the plug. I found the fuse marked Audio/Nav, but when I removed that fuse to disable the navigation system, the radio, navigation, and phone all just kept on truckin. (Troubleshooting, divide and conquer technique). I'm thinking that since it has the Harmon-Kardon stereo, these systems are probably rewired and powered from a larger fuse.
I have iPhone X10 with apple maps and want to try navigating with it thru apple play. I'm thinking that this would probably bring back the full, adaptive cruise with the original "Hold" function that was on the car the 1st day I owned this XV with a European VIN.
The Apple-Maps app is supposed to be so much better than the tom-tom/Subaru nav system. Even Outback owners I know have given up on the subi nav and gone to alternate systems.

Apparently, the nav system sends the GPS location to the XV computer, and that computer's program checks to see if you are driving in North America, or Europe. If you are in Europe, it keeps the adaptive cruise control's "Hold"function working. But if you are driving in North America, it disables the "Hold" function. In America, they want to coerce customers into buying the XV's bigger brothers. Outback, Forester, and Ascent all have the "Hold" function enabled.

I am looking into buying the service manual from Manuals Online, but am concerned that they will send me the American Crosstrek manual instead of the European manual. Have any of you dealt with this company? They are based in United Arab Emirates... makes me a little nervous.
Unread 09-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA8QQ View Post
I'd like to pull the plug on the GPS/nav system if I could find the plug. I found the fuse marked Audio/Nav, but when I removed that fuse to disable the navigation system, the radio, navigation, and phone all just kept on truckin. (Troubleshooting, divide and conquer technique). I'm thinking that since it has the Harmon-Kardon stereo, these systems are probably rewired and powered from a larger fuse.
I have iPhone X10 with apple maps and want to try navigating with it thru apple play. I'm thinking that this would probably bring back the full, adaptive cruise with the original "Hold" function that was on the car the 1st day I owned this XV with a European VIN.
The Apple-Maps app is supposed to be so much better than the tom-tom/Subaru nav system. Even Outback owners I know have given up on the subi nav and gone to alternate systems.

Apparently, the nav system sends the GPS location to the XV computer, and that computer's program checks to see if you are driving in North America, or Europe. If you are in Europe, it keeps the adaptive cruise control's "Hold"function working. But if you are driving in North America, it disables the "Hold" function. In America, they want to coerce customers into buying the XV's bigger brothers. Outback, Forester, and Ascent all have the "Hold" function enabled.

I am looking into buying the service manual from Manuals Online, but am concerned that they will send me the American Crosstrek manual instead of the European manual. Have any of you dealt with this company? They are based in United Arab Emirates... makes me a little nervous.

what is the hold function ?

and if you want the nav gone just unhook the GPS antenna, looks to be in the dash part number 86277

https://parts.boisesubaru.com/a/Suba...24-860-01.html
Unread 09-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

RAYJAY, Great! Thank You, this is info I've been looking for.

The hold function:
On the Outback, Ascent,and Crosstreks with a European VIN , the hold function is enabled by default.
When you set the adaptive cruise control to let's say 85 mph, our car locks on to the car ahead of it (let's call it the lead car). Lead car speeds up, so does our car. Lead car slows down, so does our car. Lead car stops, our car stops.
At this point, if hold function is enabled, our car sits behind lead car with "HOLD" displayed beneath the "READY" indicator on the adaptive cruise control dash display, and waits until the lead car starts to move again. When lead car starts moving, our car automatically starts moving and follows lead car up to speed.

When the Hold function is disabled, as it is on Crosstreks driven in USA, our car will follow the lead car, slow to a stop when lead car does, wait 3 seconds and then the "READY" indicator will flash 3 times, the adaptive cruise control is automatically turned off by our car's computer, and our car is free to coast forward to wreck into the lead car.

My Crosstrek has a European VIN, and had the Hold function factory enabled... for the 1st day I owned it. Driving from D.C. to Richmond on I-95 was fantastic! All I had to do was steer, stay awake, and leave the road rage to the other drivers.

The 2nd day, the computer realized that I was driving my European Crosstrek inside the USA, and disabled the Hold function. It was as if the car was possessed! I could not get the adaptive cruise control's Hold function to work at all and nearly wrecked into lead cars several times. When I took the car back to the dealer and explained what happened, they called me a liar and swore that Crosstrek didn't have that feature. Sorry, <Rant function OFF>

Apparently, Subaru has a line of code in the universal Subaru computer program to the effect of this;

If Model=Crosstrek AND GPS.Coord=USA Then Hold.function=disabled
Else Hold.function=enabled.

Such an Easy way to convince prospective Crosstrek buyers to spend more money on a bigger Subaru.
Unread 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA8QQ View Post
RAYJAY, Great! Thank You, this is info I've been looking for.

The hold function:
On the Outback, Ascent,and Crosstreks with a European VIN , the hold function is enabled by default.
When you set the adaptive cruise control to let's say 85 mph, our car locks on to the car ahead of it (let's call it the lead car). Lead car speeds up, so does our car. Lead car slows down, so does our car. Lead car stops, our car stops.
At this point, if hold function is enabled, our car sits behind lead car with "HOLD" displayed beneath the "READY" indicator on the adaptive cruise control dash display, and waits until the lead car starts to move again. When lead car starts moving, our car automatically starts moving and follows lead car up to speed.

When the Hold function is disabled, as it is on Crosstreks driven in USA, our car will follow the lead car, slow to a stop when lead car does, wait 3 seconds and then the "READY" indicator will flash 3 times, the adaptive cruise control is automatically turned off by our car's computer, and our car is free to coast forward to wreck into the lead car.

My Crosstrek has a European VIN, and had the Hold function factory enabled... for the 1st day I owned it. Driving from D.C. to Richmond on I-95 was fantastic! All I had to do was steer, stay awake, and leave the road rage to the other drivers.

The 2nd day, the computer realized that I was driving my European Crosstrek inside the USA, and disabled the Hold function. It was as if the car was possessed! I could not get the adaptive cruise control's Hold function to work at all and nearly wrecked into lead cars several times. When I took the car back to the dealer and explained what happened, they called me a liar and swore that Crosstrek didn't have that feature. Sorry, <Rant function OFF>

Apparently, Subaru has a line of code in the universal Subaru computer program to the effect of this;

If Model=Crosstrek AND GPS.Coord=USA Then Hold.function=disabled
Else Hold.function=enabled.

Such an Easy way to convince prospective Crosstrek buyers to spend more money on a bigger Subaru.

the only problem i see is the computer may use the last location it received, you may have to spoof the GPS to think it oversea's
Unread 09-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #8

Yeah, That's what I was thinking. Been researching spoofing gps but not much luck.
Any hints on how to get to the top of the radio stack? Figured out how to get the glove box out but no access to gps ant connection.
Unread 09-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #9

I guess what I should have asked is, How do I get to the GPS antenna connector? Is it above or behind the instrument cluster? Above ALL of the air ducts?
Do I need to remove a section of the dash or the instrument cluster, or the air ducts to gain access?

Tags
2019 limited, gps errors, mountain run