Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

MPG Reports?

108K views 457 replies 166 participants last post by  oldPh.D. 
#1 ·
How is everyone finding their gas consumption so far? With a MT I am using more than the Subaru stats, but I live in a really hilly area. Also I only have 700km or 430 miles on the clock. I assume it will get better once the engine has been run in.

#2 ·
I only have about 200 miles on mine and first tank of gas and it says I'm averaging just under 24mpg. However, I think that is factoring in the driving styles of the people that test drove before me and probably floored it everywhere to test it out.

I'm going to get a real world test on it on my second tank as well as again when I'm over 1,000 miles and compare. I also want to try to hyper mile it for a whole tank and see what the best MPG I can get with city driving. On top of that I will be driving cross–country in two weeks so I can get a chance to see how it does MPG–wise on the highway.

So far I'm happy with it and it's funny seeing the real–time MPG jump from 5 to 99.9 MPG.

#3 ·
I left the dealership, with 37 miles on the odometer, even with a supposedly full tank, with 12.8 Average MPG!!! By the time a re-filled, I got it up to 24 MPG. I figured it idled a lot at the dealership. I'm almost done with my 2nd tank and my average MPG is 29.1.

#4 ·
XVEwing said:
I left the dealership, with 37 miles on the odometer, even with a supposedly full tank, with 12.8 Average MPG!!! By the time a re-filled, I got it up to 24 MPG. I figured it idled a lot at the dealership. I'm almost done with my 2nd tank and my average MPG is 29.1.
Nice, good to hear. How many miles do you have on it now?

#7 ·
Driving my XV 5 speed home to CT after buying it in south Florida. Put 350 or so miles on it before I began the drive. I have the whole car packed and a big 29er mountain bike on the roof. I'm currently stopped over in Virginia and am getting 27mpg driving 75 the whole way. I would say that's pretty damn good. Should easily get over 30 doing 65-70 without all the weight and bike on top.

#10 ·
Nice. Some reviews I were reading people were saying the Crosstrek was getting "as low as 12mpg" and such. I think they don't realize that, yes, since the engine is small and has to work hard it will dip down to a pretty low MPG, but you have to look at the overall average which, so far, has been awesome.

#13 ·
Mine has 800 miles on it and has averaged 32.4 mpg on a trip from Marblehead, MA to Provincetown, MA and back and averaged 31.3 mpg on a trip from Marblehead up to Ossipee, NH and back (hilly). Both times averaging 65 to 70 mph but these trips also include some city driving for about 25% of the time.

#15 ·
A new trip today from Marblehead, MA to Ossipee, NH and back: we had some time to kill before picking up my son so I drove strictly at the speed limits which were mostly 65 mph and 55 mph on the different highways. I was impressed that I got 36.6 mpg. Of course there were probably some other drivers that didn't appreciate my 55 mph driving down Route 16 in NH.

#16 ·
chrisp said:
A new trip today from Marblehead, MA to Ossipee, NH and back: we had some time to kill before picking up my son so I drove strictly at the speed limits which were mostly 65 mph and 55 mph on the different highways. I was impressed that I got 36.6 mpg. Of course there were probably some other drivers that didn't appreciate my 55 mph driving down Route 16 in NH.
That's really good. On my trip from NC I averaged a little lower than I would have liked (just under 30mpg) but the speed limits were pretty high most of the way. I definitely got by far the best MPG in the 50-65mph range, but there wasn't much time spent at those speeds.

#20 ·
Melonid1 said:
I have just over 500 miles on my Crosstrek, averaging 30 mpg. My drive to work each way is 83 highway miles, so I purchased it for the mpg advantage and I am definitely seeing it!
Wow, 83 miles each way is rough! I am very lucky currently with under six miles each way, though I am freelance so that will change eventually.

#23 ·
Well I only have about 260 miles, still on my first tank, and all in city driving except one Christmas drive to my grandma's house. I'm kind of sad I'm only averaging 21.7 mpg. I live in a hilly area and do downshift going downhill and often take my foot off the gas.

I like to think I'm a pretty thrifty driver fuel-wise and noticed my Xterra also dipped in city mileage when I moved to a new neighborhood a couple years ago. Could it be the combination of the hills and not a very powerful engine? My Crosstrek does climb up the hill just fine, although I was a tad worried about that when I bought it.

#24 ·
SeaGal_w_Pups said:
Well I only have about 260 miles, still on my first tank, and all in city driving except one Christmas drive to my grandma's house. I'm kind of sad I'm only averaging 21.7 mpg. I live in a hilly area and do downshift going downhill and often take my foot off the gas.

I like to think I'm a pretty thrifty driver fuel-wise and noticed my Xterra also dipped in city mileage when I moved to a new neighborhood a couple years ago. Could it be the combination of the hills and not a very powerful engine? My Crosstrek does climb up the hill just fine, although I was a tad worried about that when I bought it.
Probably a combination of the hilly area as well as the engine still breaking in. Hopefully you'll see it go up after 1,000 miles or so. Also downshifting when heading down hill is probably hurting the MPG a bit.

#26 ·
I now have 2000 miles on my car and I've been averaging over 30 mpg. Last fill up I was 31.2 so I am very pleased with that.

Ok, so nobody agrees with my style of driving but with all my cars, I always wait for the gas light to come on before I fill up. Don't worry, I don't live in the middle of nowhere so I even have the luxury of hunting for cheap(er) gas as I wish.

This is the first car I have owned that showed me how many miles I left before empty. I have observed that the gas light comes on at around 80 miles left to empty. Then I drive it some more and when I hit 40 miles left, I start thinking ok, now I have to get gas. I've gotten as low as 30.

I always reach 450 miles in a tank of gas and fill-up always reaches close to 15 gallons, around 14.8.

Overall, I am very please with the MPG. Of course, like most cars, you get most economy on 50-60 mph roads, which is what I drive most. Once I go over 70-75 mph, my AVG MPG goes down. Also, when the engine is very cold, the AVG MPG goes down rather quickly.