Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Sensitive Steering?

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Subaruplatt 
#1 ·
I test drove a 2019 Crosstrek today and thought the steering action was way too sensitive, meaning any little movement of the wheel resulted in an exaggerated movement of the car. Do y'all notice the same. Did you have to get use to it?

#2 ·
Coming from my 98 Dodge Dakota with no suspension left at all, yes it is insanely sensitive but most people told me all Subarus were like that

I've had my 2019 6mt for a month now and I am just now getting used to it

I still scare the hell out of myself when I think I slightly turn it then the whole car jerks.

Overall I think it's a good thing to have sensitive steering you just have to get used to it .

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I do think it feels 'light', especially compared to 'sporty' crossovers, but it is consistent and tracks perfect. I have not noticed any over or understeer. I'm running stock 17" tires and rims. Give yourself a few hours behind the wheel to see if it is comfortable for you.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Yes, if you're coming from a higher mileage vehicle and/or something bigger and heavier, the steering will feel sensitive because it's actually functioning the way a new car should! :) When I shopped for a new-used car after my 253,000 mile Dodge Grand Caravan minivan, *everything* felt like a twitchy sports car. I think my '19 Crosstrek Limited steers and handles great.

#5 ·
sensitive steering

It is true. The car has very sensitive steering.
I recall that the 2018 redesign has tighter steering than previous years(fewer wheel turns lock to lock).
I think we all get used to it but it is mildly annoying and unnecessary. I think it makes the car feel less substantial and more skittery.

#7 · (Edited)
The crosstrek famously sharers the same steering rack as the BRZ.

Originally when I got it, I felt the car was over rotating to steering input.
Then I got used to it. I drive it differently. There is a lot of self centering built into the steering, I wish the power assist could turn down a touch at speed.
What I find amazing is that people have gotten .80 and .81 in the skid pad. Not bad considering the 8.7 inch wheel clearance.
Yes it steers aggressively, the other day I was able to avoid a pylon in full speed highway abs lock up. I was able to steer around it. Brake lock look drive around. Tell yourself I have abs I can drive around this mess. The pulsing of the pedal means steering time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.