1st time Subie owner - hyper blue xv - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #1

Default 1st time Subie owner - hyper blue xv

Just purchased a 2017 hyper blue crosstrek over the weekend on Saturday for the wife.

She loves it and I already completed the first mod on it. Wrapping the fog lights in yellow lamin-x tint and the fog light chrome accent in 3m carbon fiber wrap.

Check out our build on instagram! Handle: Smurfbluexv

Love the Subaru community so far. Received a Subaru ambassador coupon the night before I purchased to save an additional $500!

smurfblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Welcome to the club, the coupons are for sure nice!
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Welcome to the club!

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you check out the New to Subaru thread as well as the break-in procedures.

What made you choose the Crosstrek, and what kind of mods you have planned next?
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Welcome to the club!

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you check out the New to Subaru thread as well as the break-in procedures.

What made you choose the Crosstrek, and what kind of mods you have planned next?
Great info there. I will follow those guidelines. I'm a car guy so the general concepts applies to most vehicles.

I own a 4runner, but after a few years of road tripping, I realized I didn't need it's full off road capability at the expense of horrid gas mileage for every trip. That lead me to look for a vehicle that had better gas mileage while also being capable of handling off road situations, while being able to carry all of our gear; kayaks, bikes, camping gear. Enter the crosstrek, which I thought was a fantastic compromise between off road prowess and efficiency.

Hence, my build plan for the crosstrek will mirror my reason for purchasing. I want to build it to be more capable offroad than in stock form, but most importantly, maintaining its great fuel efficiency. And especially since it's going to be my wife's primary driver, no all out off road builds! Although it would be awesome in it's own right, not going to meet our goal. First, will be adding cargo hauling accessories, roof rack for kayaks, still researching crossbars; trailer hitch for bike rack, eco-hitch? Next, upgrade the wheels/tires to a good compromise between offroad and pavement. Yoko G015? For wheels, looking for the lightest possible for the $. Enkeis? Mild lift, 1 inch ADF? Then a lighting set up.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

Sounds awesome and like it will suit your needs. Congratulations. Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:51 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfblue View Post
Great info there. I will follow those guidelines. I'm a car guy so the general concepts applies to most vehicles.

I own a 4runner, but after a few years of road tripping, I realized I didn't need it's full off road capability at the expense of horrid gas mileage for every trip. That lead me to look for a vehicle that had better gas mileage while also being capable of handling off road situations, while being able to carry all of our gear; kayaks, bikes, camping gear. Enter the crosstrek, which I thought was a fantastic compromise between off road prowess and efficiency.

Hence, my build plan for the crosstrek will mirror my reason for purchasing. I want to build it to be more capable offroad than in stock form, but most importantly, maintaining its great fuel efficiency. And especially since it's going to be my wife's primary driver, no all out off road builds! Although it would be awesome in it's own right, not going to meet our goal. First, will be adding cargo hauling accessories, roof rack for kayaks, still researching crossbars; trailer hitch for bike rack, eco-hitch? Next, upgrade the wheels/tires to a good compromise between offroad and pavement. Yoko G015? For wheels, looking for the lightest possible for the $. Enkeis? Mild lift, 1 inch ADF? Then a lighting set up.
The stock aero cross bars are not exactly the best, but the Thule bars I've used seem quite rigid.

For a good compromise on/off-road tire, I would personally recommend the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 215/60R17 if you intend to use stock-sized wheels. And it seems you've done a good amount of research already on what you want to do.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
The stock aero cross bars are not exactly the best, but the Thule bars I've used seem quite rigid.

For a good compromise on/off-road tire, I would personally recommend the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 215/60R17 if you intend to use stock-sized wheels. And it seems you've done a good amount of research already on what you want to do.
I think I will go down to 16 in wheels to get more sidewall. I will look into the A/T-S but I thought the G015 was the newer version of that tire. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT (ISM)

Quote:
I will look into the A/T-S but I thought the G015 was the newer version of that tire.
You may be right as TireRack shows that A/T-S as "Clearance".
Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I think I will go down to 16 in wheels to get more sidewall. I will look into the A/T-S but I thought the G015 was the newer version of that tire. Thanks!
If this proves to be the case, most likely the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 in 215/65R16 will be the best size as it is the tire size in a 16" wheel that would most closely match the stock tire size revolutions per mile compared to the other 16" wheel tire sizes.